Author Topic: Romey and Timelord  (Read 8230 times)

Re: Romey and Timelord
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 869
Langford can play (I don't see James Young at all).  The only question is durability.  I don't see any reason to even start to give up on him though.  He may become part of a trade, and that is fine, it is not like he is untouchable or anything, but I suspect he will overcome the durability issues as his body matures and he learns better how to take care of himself and then he will be a decent (Avery Bradley level?) player.

As for Williams, he is currently a useful big and will probably still get better, but the ceiling is coming into clearer focus.

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 01:49:22 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I tried to make the point that Herro was thin and played accordingly-he put on some muscle but still plays crafty like he did in college. Romeo was the top finisher in college ranks but he needs to adjust his sights a bit against NBA quick twitch
Another example a short guard that has always played as the smallest guy on court and developed the skills to score on bigs.IT comes to mind.
Herros BBIQ, shooting, constant motion and using screens with a quick release game didn't alter as much as Romeo has too.
Romeo has a strong pedigree, a very good frame .length and who knows how he will shoot. His defence was solid. He is on the right team to work hard and learn. I'm not predicting anything but he has shown some flashes of potential

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2020, 07:07:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Romeo is a bust (#14 2020 draft).  If we had moved up 1 draft spot we could have had Tyler Hero instead (#13 2020 draft).

Timelord has some chance to develop still, big men generally take longer to click.

As for the upcoming draft, we need a mobile power forward who can shoot and defend.  That's the position we've really lacked quality and size for a while now.

Stop drafting undersized powerforwards like Ojeyle and the "Dancing Bear" Yabusele (#16 2016) and draft actual good lengthy versatile 4's like Siakam (#27 of 2016 draft).

I'm sick of us missing on really good players who are really close to our draft spot or who we allowed to slip further than our draft spot, the worst offender being Kelly Olynyk (#13 2013 draft) over Giannas (#16 2013 draft).

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Romeo is a bust (#14 2020 draft).  If we had moved up 1 draft spot we could have had Tyler Hero instead (#13 2020 draft).

Timelord has some chance to develop still, big men generally take longer to click.

As for the upcoming draft, we need a mobile power forward who can shoot and defend.  That's the position we've really lacked quality and size for a while now.

Stop drafting undersized powerforwards like Ojeyle and the "Dancing Bear" Yabusele (#16 2016) and draft actual good lengthy versatile 4's like Siakam (#27 of 2016 draft).

I'm sick of us missing on really good players who are really close to our draft spot or who we allowed to slip further than our draft spot, the worst offender being Kelly Olynyk (#13 2013 draft) over Giannas (#16 2013 draft).
perhaps you were also a poster on the thread that declared avery bradley to be a bust and piece of poopoo during his rookie year?

really, this is a terribly rapid rush to judgement. why? it is impossible to tell whether or not langford is a "bust" right now. it is better for us to wait and see....not as much fun or immediate satisfaction, but less of a chance of have to wipe egg off our faces. so a trade off of sorts.  ;D

as for the mobile, good shooting, good defending pf with both size and quality in this draft, whom specifically were you thinking of?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I do love it when a guy is written off as a bust after their rookie year. Avery Bradley was a similar such "bust", as was Jaylen Brown, as was Hayward. And that's just on the current Celtic team. How about we just wait and let a guy play more than 32 games before we write him off a bust, hey? Or is that not quite reactionary enough.

Why is G Williams omitted from your list of bad undersized 4s we've picked? Is it because it actually worked for us?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2020, 08:58:06 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I hope to see Timelord win the starting C job next season. If he can be a solid starting C who rim runs and can use his size to defend the P&R(he's athletic enough, needs to fine tune his BBIQ and work on lateral quickness), that eliminates a huge weakness for this team.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Romeo reminds me of Jimmy Butler in that highlight video.  Not a bad comp to strive for.

That would work!

I’ve changed my mind about him. I have to admit I made the old Bill Simmons mistake of overinterpreting his body language. He looked slumped and checked out in summer league (boy, does that seem like a long time ago!), and I only slowly came to appreciate him as the year went on.

He’s got a nose for the ball, and isn’t afraid to get on the floor. Good length, good instincts and timing, and he’s got a sweet burst.

Pretty good left hand, including finishing. Wants to get in the lane and draw contact (.313 free-throw rate, which is golden), and finishing wasn’t too bad, .556 inside three feet.

Not making plays for others yet, though not bad at taking care of the ball. More than his outside shooting, this is his critical growth area. There’s no point in spreading the floor for a driver who won’t pass it. If outside shooting were his calling card, it wouldn’t matter as much. But it is not...

I’m an optimist about his outside shooting, though. He’s got a good touch and I believe that there’s no reason why some work with a shooting coach and a whole lot of reps couldn’t get him over league average.

With Hayward’s future with Boston in question, this is a critical year for Romeo. Potentially there is a role available to him as the third wing, and he at least has the physical skills to play that role.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 08:09:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
 If Langford can stay healthy I see him maybe becoming a Jeremy Lamb or a Kent Bazemore type player.

Timelord is much more enticing because of what he's shown with this passing.  If he can cut down on fouls and mental mistakes on defense, he could be a really tantalizing piece on both ends.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
If Langford can stay healthy I see him maybe becoming a Jeremy Lamb or a Kent Bazemore type player.

Timelord is much more enticing because of what he's shown with this passing.  If he can cut down on fouls and mental mistakes on defense, he could be a really tantalizing piece on both ends.
and if his mid-range jump shot really works as part of his offense, he becomes much more effective. if...
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
What will it take for Williams to become the center of the future.

He can pass, he can rebound, he is crazy athletic, his is very long, he has decent enough form on his shot, he can switch defensively.

Why is it that he doesnt get more time? I know he got injured this past season, but with team seemingly interested in every bigman out there why isnt more emphasis given to him? why has team not hired someone to work with him? KG would make a great coach for him, or send him to work with Hakeem? why is there seemingly no info out there about him being groomed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ju9aPUMxNQ

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2020, 03:04:21 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He can pass, he can rebound, he is crazy athletic, his is very long, he has decent enough form on his shot, he can switch defensively.

Why is it that he doesnt get more time? I know he got injured this past season, but with team seemingly interested in every bigman out there why isnt more emphasis given to him? why has team not hired someone to work with him? KG would make a great coach for him, or send him to work with Hakeem? why is there seemingly no info out there about him being groomed?

The time he missed because of injuries means he hasn't fully grasped the team defense to the point he can just react instead of think.   And when he has to think, sometimes he gets where he needs to be slow or not at all.   

I think he is just experience away from being able to beat the other C for minutes.

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

The time he missed because of injuries means he hasn't fully grasped the team defense to the point he can just react instead of think.   And when he has to think, sometimes he gets where he needs to be slow or not at all.   

I think he is just experience away from being able to beat the other C for minutes.

I feel like, with Tatum at 22, and Brown at 24 and Smart at 25? the team should absolutely afford him more time though. I know he was injured, but when he came back he still played very limited minutes. And in the playoffs he hardly saw the court.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think Romeo and Smart lead the second unit next year!  Romeo had an off first year only due to injury recovery.  I was thrilled with that draft pick last year, hoping for more of the same magic at 14 this.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2020, 03:37:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Romeo, has shown enough that if he stays healthy he is a rotation worthy wing. He surprised me with his defense and now just needs more consistency with his 3pt shot and I am comfortable with him getting regular minutes.

R Williams, has not developed at a rate that warrants much hope for him. He has all the physical gifts but seems to be lagging behind on the mental side of the game. His in ability to defend the Ibaka screen game in the playoffs was alarming to me. At this point I would try to capitalize on his FG%, dunks, blocks, and perceived potential and trade him this off-season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2020, 11:10:20 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Unfortunately Romeo, to me, is James Young 2.0.

Robert has some hope but I don't see his ceiling being an All Star type player, I feel like his ceiling is starter on a bad team. Potentially a 12 and 10 guy as his ceiling.

I hope I am wrong.

You ain’t wrong
Bust
To slow