Author Topic: In praise of Smartacus  (Read 10710 times)

Re: In praise of Smartacus
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 12:04:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I remember when we drafted him and I couldn't figure out why we picked a 2-guard who couldn't shoot. And I remember that the guy we wanted was Dante Exum (who went fourth).

Man, so glad that I'm not in charge.

Mike

There was a bozo who used to run around here insisting Elfrid Payton was a better player than Smart. 

Of course, he got himself banned for other reasons but can only imagine what runs through his mind these days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 12:07:37 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Sigh...but probably deserved, TBH.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
NBA is fining Boston's Marcus Smart $5K for flopping in Game 2 victory over Toronto, source tells ESPN.

Not that he doesn't have the money but, if he needed it, I'd say he could take up a collection at Celticsstrong and have that fined paid in about 8 seconds.

Mike

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 12:10:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
I remember when we drafted him and I couldn't figure out why we picked a 2-guard who couldn't shoot. And I remember that the guy we wanted was Dante Exum (who went fourth).

Mike

There was a bozo who used to run around here insisting Elfrid Payton was a better player than Smart. 

Of course, he got himself banned for other reasons but can only imagine what runs through his mind these days.
i remember that guy. i am sure that in his mind the exact same things run through his mind. he was not one to change his mind in the face of reality.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 12:12:04 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Major props to Smart.  He was the most influential player in this series win and deserves the credit.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
As I said in the game thread, its funny that a few years ago we were debating on who we should keep, Smart or Rozier.

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 12:15:15 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
As I said in the game thread, its funny that a few years ago we were debating on who we should keep, Smart or Rozier.

Haha! Would love to see what we were saying ! Smart is so good! Where is Rozier?

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2020, 12:16:23 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Smart- You are an inspiration to us all- You have relentless spirit that personifies what being a great Celtics player is- Amazing- We love you!

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2020, 12:18:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike

i remember that guy. i am sure that in his mind the exact same things run through his mind. he was not one to change his mind in the face of reality.
we also had a few people whining about how we should have taken Julius Randle instead and kept throwing out garbage trades to swap them. 

love Smart.  very few players I'd consider trading him for and they're all MVP candidates

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2020, 12:21:49 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Smart was amazing this series. I can live with the occasional terrible 3 pointer, I genuinely hope he stays a Celtics for his entire career.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 12:28:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
that block was seriously ridiculous

it was like deja vu.  But Smart wins this time

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 12:34:27 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
well deserved thread for a frequently underappreciated player. He is the longest tenured player on the team. He should be the captain.

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 12:39:48 AM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151

Mike

I absolutely Loved the pick, when the Celtics picked him, it's who i wanted them to take, loved him in college...

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 12:41:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
well deserved thread for a frequently underappreciated player. He is the longest tenured player on the team. He should be the captain.

To me it's more than his talent, obviously we have better shooters, better offensive players...but Smart has that grit and desire that to me exemplifies being a Celtic. And he's an inspiration to his teammates, puts his body on the line every night for them. His judgment could sometimes be better  :laugh: but I will take the bad with the good because the good outweighs the bad by so much. He's a warrior.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 12:45:57 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm already panicked up his upcoming free agency in two years. Right now he is being paid fairly well, but I have to imagine there will be a bigger market for him next time around. I would say extending him next offseason should be a top priority. He is good in the regular season, but just a monster in the playoffs. He deserves to win multiple championships...and that should be in Boston, where he belongs.