Author Topic: In praise of Smartacus  (Read 10711 times)

In praise of Smartacus
« on: September 02, 2020, 03:10:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1300960020100767744

I'll say it right here - I want Smart to retire a Celtic. He embodies what being a Celtic is all about. He has that X-factor that can change a game. He has heart. I hope it happens.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: In praise of Smartacus
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 03:25:13 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I'll say it right here - I want Smart to retire a Celtic. He embodies what being a Celtic is all about. He has that X-factor that can change a game. He has heart. I hope it happens.

You  need to get him paid though.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 04:19:33 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Crazy to think we have two whole more years of him at his bargain price
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 04:38:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What do you mean? He and his agent negotiated what was quite a fair contract at the time (his playmaking and shooting have made huge leaps since he signed it). I don't think Danny will let him go ever
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 05:24:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Top 40 player for the last couple of seasons with an argument for making an All-Star game going forward on this Celtics squad (his situational value is amplified in the Celtics offence as a supercharged 3 and D playmaking guard). He's a fantastic player!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 06:25:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Top 40 player for the last couple of seasons with an argument for making an All-Star game going forward on this Celtics squad (his situational value is amplified in the Celtics offence as a supercharged 3 and D playmaking guard). He's a fantastic player!
It would be cool to see him get some genuine recognition. He’s mt DPOY, whether he deserves it or not!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 07:56:59 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I love Marcus.  He is getting $13.4M and $14.3M the next two seasons.  That is not chump change.  Marcus just has the kind of game that isn't as likely to command the really big money.  If he was a free agent at the end of this season, I am not sure what he would get offered.  $20M?  Maybe, but he is not going to get a super big contract.  He still doesn't make enough 3s, still doesn't score enough points.  I am not saying this is fair or accurately reflects his contribution to winning, just saying that seems to be how the NBA market works.

And I love the leadership by Tatum calling this out.  This will really help to galvanize the team.

Marcus has his 3% up to 35%-36%.  His scoring this season is up to about 12 ppg.  I'll take it.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 08:45:12 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
No brainer to say but he was the biggest reason the Celtics won last night.  The way he lifted them in the 4th quarter on both sides of the ball was incredible. 

He's had some incredible games over the years and last night is right up at or near the top. 

So glad he's on the Celtics.  Definitely one of those guys you love to hate unless they're on your team then you just love them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Incredible 4th quarter last night - like something out of a movie. Smart can be polarizing, but he is the ideal championship-level role player ever team wants to have. I don't mean to diminish his contributions by calling him a role player, as his effect can be much greater than that; but he is not exactly a go-to scorer and he seems to work much better with other stars around him.

I worry that he is only signed for two more years. We have some big contracts starting with Jaylen and the Jayson; we may also have a newly re-signed Hayward. While Smart is hardly criminally underpaid, I do expect him to get a raise if he continues with his current offensive production and elite level defense. The construction of this team will be interesting in the coming years, but here's to hoping we can hang on to Marcus for many years!

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:22 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Respect to the namesake.

What hasn't been said about Marcus Smart's contribution to the culture and production of this team? He's the consummate gap filler. On any given night he can be our best distributor, post defender, offensive rebounder, iso scorer, and after a huge game it's not uncommon that the next night he'll put up a modest line and sacrifice for other's production until he's needed again.

We're fortunate to have Smart in whatever role he finds himself in on a given night. His contract allowed us to sign Kemba and re-sign the Brown and Tatum. A completely unique player, a cross between Dwayne Wade and Draymond Green, bar none the best Stretch 6 in the game.

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Smart is the kind of player you love when on your team and hate when not cause he is a dirty flopper.

I guess it is a bit early but i worry how we'll be able to keep him in two years.   

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Smart is the kind of player you love when on your team and hate when not cause he is a dirty flopper.

I guess it is a bit early but i worry how we'll be able to keep him in two years.

What is the worry? We have his Bird rights, and management/ownership knows that letting him go to save money would be unforgivable. He'll stay in green for as long as he wants
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Smart's contract looks like an absolute bargain in this day and age lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Whilst watching the Raptors WATCH Smart light them up last night one question came to mind....

Is there a team in the NBA who wouldn't want Marcus Smart playing for them?

What NBA coach in his right mind doesn't want Smart on the court with the game tied and 1:23 on the clock making plays for him?

"Hmmm, let's see it's the fourth quarter and we're down by 9...how about 5 threes? That should do the trick."

What?!

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 11:42:05 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think Popovich would trade half the Spurs team for Smart....luckily Danny would say no.