Author Topic: The Long Lay-Off: Better for Celtics or Bucks  (Read 2357 times)

The Long Lay-Off: Better for Celtics or Bucks
« on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
After beating the Pacers on Sunday, it might be a full week before the Celtics see the Bucks. The Bucks completed their own sweep last night, Monday. The second round likely won't start until Saturday (Bill Simmons thought it might not be until Sunday).

Who does the long lay-off help more, Celtics or Bucks? Neither team is particularly old. Both team have good coaches who will make good use of the time, I'm sure. Maybe neither gets an advantage.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: The Long Lay-Off: Better for Celtics or Bucks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I think it's better for the Celtics. Baynes and Horford will play better with more rest. I think rest will also benefit Kyrie and Hayward. I guess that Mirotic and Lopez will befit from rest and the Bucks my get Brogdon back too but I do like it for The Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The extra days will help us implement a better strategy for defending Giannis.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think both teams would benefit.

Horford, Baynes, and a few others are going to need as much rest and preparation as possible.

Semi the Tank Ojeleye is always born ready though.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Probably better for Boston because the Bucks coasted through the series against Detroit.  Rest wasn't going to matter for them either way. 

I'm actually happy that the Bucks completed the sweep last night.  It probably wont matter, but it will have been a long time since the Bucks played a truly competitive basketball game by the time game 1 rolls around. 

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Celtics as Horford played a lot of minutes and Kyrie took a shot to the chest on that Turner screen. It was a far more physical series for the Celtics than the Bucks.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'd say the Bucks, since the extra days will certainly allow Snell to get healthy enough to play and may let them get Gasol and Brogdon back, while Boston only has an unlikely shot at getting Smart back. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I know Al is pretty kicked up and could use the rest and medical attention .    We aren't going anywhere without him close to 100% .

Williams is out classed at this point .  Baynes is too slow to deal with The Freak . 

Long as the freak is healthy , its like having bron , they are in the game .   The Celtics are more dependent functioning like a machine , if any piece is broke , the rest suffers .

Middleton is the big issue actually , he gets tons of great shots , because of the attention to Le Freak .  Everybody is watching GA while middleton goes off hitting shots.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'd say the Bucks, since the extra days will certainly allow Snell to get healthy enough to play and may let them get Gasol and Brogdon back, while Boston only has an unlikely shot at getting Smart back.

Shouldn't the time off discussion only apply to the players who were healthy for the first round?  Round 2 wasn't going to start any earlier than Saturday, and I doubt Milwaukee would have pushed any of those guys unless they were on the brink of an epic collapse.  Even if this was the case, a game 7 would have taken place this weekend. 

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
It benefits both teams equally.  Both are dealing with injuries or players that are banged up.  Brogdon is a big piece for the Bucks and Marcus is equally as important for Boston.  When Smart came back last year in the playoffs it completely swung the series for Boston.  Brogdon has that same affect and is a celtic killer.  Of all the Bucks I can't stand him as much or maybe even more then Middleton.  Snell does not scare me and neither does Gasol.  Brogdon on the other hand can hit a game winner and steps up in big situations.  Giannis is the best player on the planet so there is nothing you can do about him except hope that Kyrie can match his scoring and our 2nd and 3rd tier players beat their 2nd and 3rd tier players.  This matchup comes down to Hayward versus Middleton.  The extra time gives Hayward even more rehab and hopefully he's even further back to his old self.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Both equally. They both have good coaches who will have more time to put plans into place. Both will be able to heel up some. Both will be able to have multiple practices at their home training facilities implementing the game plans.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Celtics. It buys marcus smart some time. You never know, maybe he makes strides in that recovery

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 04:49:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
It's equally both since it could mean more time for Brogdon and Smart to heal and possibly return

I'm not saying either guy alone pivots the series one way but each guy certainly adds that extra dimension to their respective teams that could play a crucial part in the series.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 05:20:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Whether the Celtics and Milwaukee won in 4 or 5 or 6, I think the Celtics- Milwaukee was going to start this weekend regardless, so the layoff is actually meaningless in getting players like Smart or Brogdan back sooner. The only way to have gotten Smart back sooner would have been to extend the 1st round series to 7 games and push out the start of the 2nd round.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 06:24:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Maybe it helps the C's a little more.  I think the Bucks have been playing at a consistently high level all season while the C's have been mercurial.  Long layoff could get the Bucks a little out of synch whereas it could give C's more time to practice with a more healthy Hayward and really come together.   

If I was a Bucks fan I'd find an equally implausible rationale for why it's better for the Bucks.