Author Topic: Gordon Hayward is back  (Read 4062 times)

Re: Gordon Hayward is back
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
His basketball IQ is amazing.  I love watching him move without the ball. He is open a lot on his quick back cuts that should lead to easy baskets. But unfortunately he plays a lot with guys who don't pass well.

Hayward is the perfect example of a fundamentally sound player.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 12:49:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The way Ainge and Brad stubbornly tolerated Gordons recovery the dissension that it caused that simmered all season and his turnaround that is picking up now .We all saw it begin and it did pause after his sprained ankle but  then you could see it beginning to pick up pace and feeding on itself as Hayward became more aggressive on closeouts and getting to rim .Hayward said he is still rehabbing daily.

So Kudos for Ainge and Brad for not sending Hayward to d league for holding the line.
It is possible these days off will even add and build to his recovery or he might just plateau for awhile.
The Pacers were an excellent team for him  to play as they were physical and defensive minded.
Now we have a smart,strong physical player we are going to need versus Bucks.Lets hope he gets deadly from outside in games now his confidence is back. His year of rehabbing left him a lot of time working on his shot that was already good.
Realistically, they brought him back too soon.  They should have kept him out until after the all-star break.  He simply wasn't healthy and has been rehabbing all season.

That said, maybe it's something where playing those games helped him recover quicker?  Hard to say.  I'm not a doctor.  But he mentioned early in the season that his mobility was limited and he needed to "grind out" some scar tissue.  So maybe playing like crap was part of his rehab.

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 05:36:35 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
Won't be long before someone comes by and says "but he only averaged 12.3 points for the series! That's worse than Wally Szczerbiak!"  ::)

Good things tend to happen when Gordon has the ball. If not for him then for other people. When he touches the ball in a possession it usually turns out good for us, whether it impacted his stat line or not.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
People praising hayward aught also praise smart.

Just saying.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
People praising hayward aught also praise smart.

Just saying.

I'm with you there. Smart is like a middle lineback on defense the way he directs traffic and he always knows where he and everyone else is supposed to be on offense as well. He makes questionable choices, to be sure, but his basketball mind is very strong. Doesn't get enough credit for it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
The way Ainge and Brad stubbornly tolerated Gordons recovery the dissension that it caused that simmered all season and his turnaround that is picking up now .We all saw it begin and it did pause after his sprained ankle but  then you could see it beginning to pick up pace and feeding on itself as Hayward became more aggressive on closeouts and getting to rim .Hayward said he is still rehabbing daily.

So Kudos for Ainge and Brad for not sending Hayward to d league for holding the line.
It is possible these days off will even add and build to his recovery or he might just plateau for awhile.
The Pacers were an excellent team for him  to play as they were physical and defensive minded.
Now we have a smart,strong physical player we are going to need versus Bucks.Lets hope he gets deadly from outside in games now his confidence is back. His year of rehabbing left him a lot of time working on his shot that was already good.
Realistically, they brought him back too soon.  They should have kept him out until after the all-star break.  He simply wasn't healthy and has been rehabbing all season.

That said, maybe it's something where playing those games helped him recover quicker?  Hard to say.  I'm not a doctor.  But he mentioned early in the season that his mobility was limited and he needed to "grind out" some scar tissue.  So maybe playing like crap was part of his rehab.

It's not just rehabbing the injury. It's rehabbing the inactivity. I don't think he'd be anywhere close to where he is now if he only started playing around the All Star break. He needed reps and on this team the reps came slower than they might in a different situation.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's not just rehabbing the injury. It's rehabbing the inactivity. I don't think he'd be anywhere close to where he is now if he only started playing around the All Star break. He needed reps and on this team the reps came slower than they might in a different situation.

I think you're probably right.  Even if you could theoretically get back to game speed by sitting out and rehabbing / scrimmaging, I don't think there's any way to rehab the mental aspect until you're in games and see how the injury responds.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Hayward growth has gathered steam-he has been ascending weekly-He didn't flinch on Turners dunk and went back and threw one down on him and it looked like Turner pulled Baynes down.
He has stumbled several times and recovered ,has sprained his ankle and come back and drawn contact taking Turner to the rim.

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
We do look better when Hayward is on the floor

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!

So when are we getting the LarBrd, KGLL Part III podcast? lol I want to hear you guys' thoughts on the Bucks series.