3 (2%)
MIL in 5
9 (6.1%)
MIL in 6
21 (14.2%)
MIL in 7
14 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Poll: Celtics-Bucks Series Prediction  (Read 19534 times)

Re: Poll: Celtics-Bucks Series Prediction
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
As much as I hate to say it, Bucks in 6. They have the best player on the court, deeper team and have been playing some of the best basketball all year long. Hope I'm wrong.

How often does the MVP win the title? Having the best player doesn't guarantee anything.

And the Bucks are deeper? After Giannis, I'd take 3-4 Celtics before a Buck.

As in all of sports, you don't get extra credit for how well you played the opening month of the season. It's all about which team is firing on all cylinders when the playoffs get rolling. Look at what happened in hockey, where the Lightning absolutely dominated the regular season only to get SWEPT (dominated) by the 8th-seeded Blue Jackets.

We match up well with them. It will be a good series.

The only Celtic player I would take after Giannis is Kyrie obviously. Right now I would take Middleton over anyone on the Celtics after Kyrie. Now if you tell me the Celtics are getting the Hayward who we saw in game 4 then I would take Hayward over Middleton. Hayward has had long spills of being passive. I’m not sure what to expect from him. Bledsoe is playing out of his mind right now and Lopez looks better then ever. Milwaukee is a better 3 point shooting team as well. Missing Smart in this series is big and I think people are underplaying that.
The Celtics certainly have intangibles that could make them beat Milwaukee. However the Bucks have been consistently playing good basketball for a long time. We are all assuming the Celtics are starting to peak because of a sweep on a team that was reeling heading into the playoffs without their best player. Bucks have shown more evidence of being the better team but that’s why they play the games. I just want to see the Celtics leave it all on the court which again sucks that Smart isn’t playing.

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I look at the season series and throw out the first two games. The first game we won at home by 4 points very early in the season.

The second game (also in Boston) the Bucks blew our doors off by 13 in December, but I don't put much stock in this one either.  Hayward was still in recovery mode, Baynes and Horford didn't play, and Semi was our starting center. Snell and Maker couldn't miss.  Totally meaningless game IMO.

The one game that should be looked at as a good indicator is the last game, played 2/21. Despite being in Milwaukee, despite our team still being out of sorts (we'd go on to lose 4 in a row including a 23 point blow out loss to the Raptors several days later), despite Baynes and Hayward not playing, we competed very well, and lost barely by a point (98-97).  To me, I expect most of the games to play out this way.  I predict we will win in 7, but can also see the case for the Bucks winning in 7, because Giannis is the best player, and has emerged as nearly impossible to stop.

I'm a proud homer in deciding to cast my net with the Celts.   But really like how the two teams match up, and look forward to what I expect to be a classic series.

This should not be a short series.

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Have we seen Theis on Giannis? Theis was out during the playoffs last year and I don't have a good memory of Theis guarding Giannis during this regular season. I know he hasn't been good for a while but, physically, he seems like he'd be as well suited at tangling with Giannis as anyone.
In the 1st Milwaukee game this year, where the C's won, Brown and Theis were out and Semi started and played 22 minutes, mostly all on Giannis.

In the second meeting, Horford, Morris and Baynes we're out so Semi started but if I remember right Brown, Smart and Hayward spent most of the night on Giannis while Semi and Theis played against Lopez and Maker. C's lost by 13.

In the last meeting this year, Bucks won by a point, the Celtics were shorthanded again with no Hayward or Baynes. Semi played 12 minutes, Theis 6 minutes and neither did much of anything. It was mostly Morris and Brown on Giannis, if I remember correctly.

So, the Celtics will be down Smart in the series, but I think Stevens will go with Morris, Hayward and Semi on Giannis with Brown denying Middleton.

Brown “denying” Middleton? Your memory is short. Brown could not stop Middleton last year playoffs.
When did I ever say that Brown stopped Middleton last year? Middleton was great last year.

I said I think Stevens will go with Morris, Hayward and Semi defending Giannis and Brown denying Middleton. I think that's what Stevens will do. Guard Middleton tight, denying him the ball as much as possible.

You keep saying Brown "denying" Middleton, not "guarding" him. Semantics, I guess. I sure hope he can "deny" him this time.  I think Brown, similar to the Indy series, will put all his energy on defensive assignment vs Middleton.  Unlike last year, where we needed (and got) a big offensive contribution from him. Not saying he won't also have his moments at that end, but can see Brad having him focus on D assignment.

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I'm reading all over the internet about how the Celtics are a massive under dog. I guess my green glasses just doesn't let me see that.

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Have we seen Theis on Giannis? Theis was out during the playoffs last year and I don't have a good memory of Theis guarding Giannis during this regular season. I know he hasn't been good for a while but, physically, he seems like he'd be as well suited at tangling with Giannis as anyone.
In the 1st Milwaukee game this year, where the C's won, Brown and Theis were out and Semi started and played 22 minutes, mostly all on Giannis.

In the second meeting, Horford, Morris and Baynes we're out so Semi started but if I remember right Brown, Smart and Hayward spent most of the night on Giannis while Semi and Theis played against Lopez and Maker. C's lost by 13.

In the last meeting this year, Bucks won by a point, the Celtics were shorthanded again with no Hayward or Baynes. Semi played 12 minutes, Theis 6 minutes and neither did much of anything. It was mostly Morris and Brown on Giannis, if I remember correctly.

So, the Celtics will be down Smart in the series, but I think Stevens will go with Morris, Hayward and Semi on Giannis with Brown denying Middleton.

Brown “denying” Middleton? Your memory is short. Brown could not stop Middleton last year playoffs.
When did I ever say that Brown stopped Middleton last year? Middleton was great last year.

I said I think Stevens will go with Morris, Hayward and Semi defending Giannis and Brown denying Middleton. I think that's what Stevens will do. Guard Middleton tight, denying him the ball as much as possible.

You keep saying Brown "denying" Middleton, not "guarding" him. Semantics, I guess. I sure hope he can "deny" him this time.  I think Brown, similar to the Indy series, will put all his energy on defensive assignment vs Middleton.  Unlike last year, where we needed (and got) a big offensive contribution from him. Not saying he won't also have his moments at that end, but can see Brad having him focus on D assignment.
You're confusing the crap out of me.

First you put words into my mouth by claiming I somehow forgot how Middleton played against the C's last year and that I was also somehow claiming Brown shut him down. In my reply I explained. Stevens will have Brown try to deny Middleton the ball, guarding him tight. Isn't denying a form of man defense? What semantics were there? I think I was very clear. Guard him tight. Deny the ball.

« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
The Bucks beat us easily during regular season.
With a heavy heart;  Bucks in 7

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
If we lose just remember half the bucks team coulda been Celtics  :-[

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Uh, one time. When both our starting bigs didn’t play.

The other time they beat us by 1 point and we were still short handed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Why are the Bucks getting so much credit for sweeping the short handed Pistons who were only an 8 seed and The Celtics are getting no credit for beating the 5 seed? The Celtics won each game handily. This reminds me of everyone counting out The Celtics last year against The Bucks and against The Sixers. Here come your underdog Boston Celtics!!!!

« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Why are the Bucks getting so much credit for sweeping the short handed Pistons who were only an 8 seed and The Celtics are getting no credit for beating the 5 seed? The Celtics won each game handily. This reminds me of everyone counting out The Celtics last year against The Bucks and against The Sixers. Here come your underdog Boston Celtics!!!!

Honestly, both opponents were very weak presently. Pacers without Oladipo were never a threat, despite the laughable group on here that thought this would be a tough series. But they took care of business down the stretch of every game and not losing a game should never be looked at negatively.

The Pistons, without Blake - and with the version of him we saw the last two games - were just as bad.

Both the Celtics and Bucks wasted no time disposing of their inferior opposition, and now on to a real test for both teams. I don't care about the regular season records. They have HCA, we need to take it from them. For all our fans fretting over the mighty Bucks, I think the Bucks aren't looking forward to this matchup (compared to Toronto or Philadelphia). They know we are well coached, fundamentally sound, defend well and can shoot. None of our players are afraid of any moment, or opponent.

I am really looking forward to this series getting underway.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
when NBA gotta announce start of it?? 3 weeks?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Malcolm Brogdon will be OUT for Games 1 and 2 vs the Celtics. Will be reassessed after that.

https://twitter.com/matt_velazquez/status/1121493049215991819?s=21

« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who's more valuable - Smart for us or Brogdon for them?  I think it's probably Brogdon but maybe mostly on account of less depth for them.

« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
not accurate. in three games the bucks won two games, one in milwaukee by one point and celtics without hayward.

celtics beat the bucks one game. so, stating that the bucks beat the celtics easily is not totally accurate.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Yeah that one-point win with Kyrie missing at the buzzer is the definition of an easy win. Just clobbered us that one.

And beating up on us without Horford, Baynes, and Morris playing sure gives us great clarity on this playoff matchup.

Of course, let’s conveniently leave out us taking their 0.
CELTICS 2024