Author Topic: Smart out up to two rounds!  (Read 21356 times)

Re: Smart out up to two rounds!
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am glad to hear he is feeling better but the cynic in me can't help but smile, and wonder if Smart went to the same doctor Tiger Woods and Kobe used on their injuries, which always seemed to heal 5 to 6 times faster than regular humans.

Lol. I don't know how he went from "will be hoping to start jogging in two weeks" to "jogging and doing basketball related stuff 3 days later", but I am glad he is.

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2019, 05:32:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Hurry up, Marcus.

There are not many like you.

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2019, 05:49:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I am glad to hear he is feeling better but the cynic in me can't help but smile, and wonder if Smart went to the same doctor Tiger Woods and Kobe used on their injuries, which always seemed to heal 5 to 6 times faster than regular humans.

Lol. I don't know how he went from "will be hoping to start jogging in two weeks" to "jogging and doing basketball related stuff 3 days later", but I am glad he is.

Even though medicine is a science it's not an exact science.  ;D

« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2019, 02:39:28 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
C'mon Marcus!!! Get there.

Much as I like Rozier, Marcus taking minutes from him is preferable...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't see Danny or Brad parting with Smart at all.  He's the one guy who embodies what they want on the floor,  and is now capable of running the team the way they want while shooting better. He's literally become exactly what they want from a player.

No way that happens.

He's basically the only player they can completely trust out on the floor right now.

As far as being an extension of the way they want to play.

And you don't groom a guy like that for years to then turn around and make him the opposition on any team.

Lol. Danny would trade Marcus Smart in a heartbeat for Anthony Davis.

It's not gonna be Smart for AD, so I don't know why yall keep saying that.  And to me...it looks kinda bone-headed to be trading players who continually go deep in the playoffs for one player who doesn't...and they didn't even make that much noise with a top 10 power forward beside him, and championship caliper.point guard.

Then throw in the fact N.O. is not gonna do business with the Lakers, and Davis only has one year left on his contract...

Trade on young man, trade on.

I don't even get why yall are even supporting this team when the only players you guys think is worth anything is Hayward, Kyrie and Al, with the rest being broken players in one form or another.

And to add on to that...Gordon went down 5 minutes into last year and Kyrie played 60 games.

Who's team is this again? Kyrie, Gordon and Al's?

Okey dokey...I just maintain people don't know the real core of this team and want to sacrifice it for anyone except them...and these guys came right out of college making a big difference, flaws and all.

All they get for it is  "he's lost taking it to the rim, he don't pass, he can't shoot free throws, he iso's too much, he's a black hole, he don't play defense...but stay in the playoffs since they first stepped foot in the league from college.

Meanwhile the other guys don't play defense either, and Gordon is only gonna help a team, he's not gonna "lead" them anywhere.

I hope yall know what you want, or if you really have it all figured out.

If any of those guys gave numbers like Gordon, you want to jet them to another team quickly, but Gordon is this team's secret weapon though. And Kyrie is not even putting up IT numbers, but you would think he was twice the player by what I read.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:08:15 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see Danny or Brad parting with Smart at all.  He's the one guy who embodies what they want on the floor,  and is now capable of running the team the way they want while shooting better. He's literally become exactly what they want from a player.

No way that happens.

He's basically the only player they can completely trust out on the floor right now.

And you don't groom a guy like that for years to then turn around and make him the opposition on any team.

It's not gonna be Smart for AD, so I don't know why yall keep saying that.  And to me...it looks kinda bone-headed to be trading players who continually go deep in the playoffs for one player who doesn't...and they didn't even make that much noise with a top 10 power forward beside him, and championship caliper.point guard.

Then throw in the fact N.O. is not gonna do business with the Lakers, and Davis only has one year left on his contract...

I don't even get why yall are even supporting this team when the only players you guys think is worth anything is Hayward, Kyrie and Al, with the rest being broken players in one form or another.

And to add on to that...Gordon went down 5 minutes into last year and Kyrie played 60 games.

Okey dokey...I just maintain people don't know the real core of this team and want to sacrifice it for anyone except them...and these guys came right out of college making a big difference, flaws and all.

All they get for it is  "he's lost taking it to the rim, he don't pass, he can't shoot free throws, he iso's too much, he's a black hole, he don't play defense...but stay in the playoffs since they first stepped foot in the league from college.

Meanwhile the other guys don't play defense either, and Gordon is only gonna help a team, he's not gonna "lead" them anywhere.

If any of those guys gave numbers like Gordon, you want to jet them to another team quickly, but Gordon is this team's secret weapon though. And Kyrie is not even putting up IT numbers, but you would think he was twice the player by what I read.
the reason Smart gets included in the deal is to make the salaries work.  it's not that he's not wanted on the team.

« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
http://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1121073759547473920

Per Stevens, Smart has “progressed as well as could’ve been hoped.”

« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Really hoping Smart makes it back for the home opener in Game 3, though I know it's more likely to be Game 5 at the earliest. Come on Marcus!!

« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

No way that happens.

the reason Smart gets included in the deal is to make the salaries work.  it's not that he's not wanted on the team.
And there is this from Larry Griffin, GM of the Pelicans from before he was hired:

“If I was holding their cards, I would probably want to be in a situation where I got at least one young player that projected potentially to be a star,” Griffin said on air. “Draft picks, an elite role player, someone that could further the cause for us as a winner because when you’re bringing young kids to the floor, you need those guys to galvanize a group.”

From a Celtic perspective those desires equal Tatum, Smart and picks and financially the trade works easily. New Orleans turned down LA, for other reasons as well, but also because they know Ainge has exactly what they want in a trade and was most likely told those assets would be available to trade as early as the end of the Celtics season.

« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2019, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

No way that happens.

And there is this from Larry Griffin, GM of the Pelicans from before he was hired:

“If I was holding their cards, I would probably want to be in a situation where I got at least one young player that projected potentially to be a star,” Griffin said on air. “Draft picks, an elite role player, someone that could further the cause for us as a winner because when you’re bringing young kids to the floor, you need those guys to galvanize a group.”

From a Celtic perspective those desires equal Tatum, Smart and picks and financially the trade works easily. New Orleans turned down LA, for other reasons as well, but also because they know Ainge has exactly what they want in a trade and was most likely told those assets would be available to trade as early as the end of the Celtics season.

I get that, but i'm leery because people are not seeing these young guys true value. With all their warts, so to speak, we're contending with these guys who wouldn't even have finished college yet.  You don't think that's worthy of holding on to?  And Davis is not the last big man on the face of the earth. AND...we don't need a scoring big man...we need a Ben wallace type.

As far as i'm concerned, Tatum, JB and Smart are my core and I build around that not replace them. They are the only reason this team is resilient and comes out as a title contender even after a terrible year like this.

Not Kyrie, Not Gordon, and not even Al...those 3 guys.

And I definitely don't break them up for a guy with one year left with eyes for LA...I start scouting for my Ben wallace is what I would do. One of these guys that don't fit their team that won't cost as much.

Let Davis be where he's happy...and i'm telling you...if a black man says he has problems with Boston, you should believe him.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:53:34 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No way that happens.

You're putting a lot of words in peoples mouths. No one is saying Smart isn't good or should go. If anything, people in this thread have said the opposite - he's their fave player on the team. BUT he's the obvious choice for salary matching and it's not worth killing a trade for AD to keep him.

And Channing Frye and Gerald Green has had more playoff success than AD, would you keep them over him?

Danny has shown no personal bias when making trades. He's traded guys like Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Isaiah Thomas. He wouldn't hesitate to trade Marcus Smart. You're setting yourself up for heartbreak if you think otherwise.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373

Even though medicine is a science it's not an exact science.  ;D
I'm no doctor, but from my perspective based on other athletes, it seems like oblique injuries are the kind of injury that if you rush back, there is a higher risk of re-aggravating, because it's very hard to simulate real in-game experience (taking a charge from Giannis, etc..). I would be shocked if Marcus is back for the Bucks series.

« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

No way that happens.

You're putting a lot of words in peoples mouths. No one is saying Smart isn't good or should go. If anything, people in this thread have said the opposite - he's their fave player on the team. BUT he's the obvious choice for salary matching and it's not worth killing a trade for AD to keep him.

And Channing Frye and Gerald Green has had more playoff success than AD, would you keep them over him?

Danny has shown no personal bias when making trades. He's traded guys like Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Isaiah Thomas. He wouldn't hesitate to trade Marcus Smart. You're setting yourself up for heartbreak if you think otherwise.

All those guys Danny traded were either injured or past their Prime. Danny has a type of player he likes and so does Brad.  I think you guys are setting yourself up for hearbreak. They don't keep Smart in the lineup after his little discretions for trade bait, and they don't keep Rozier or Morris around because they kill this team like posters always say. As much negativity as I throw their way...I atleast see a bit of their vision, and it's not hording players to trade them.

I don't see them adding Smart in that. I just don't.

If they were smart, they would leave JB and Tatum alone, too.

And lol at Smart being trade filler now.

How bout trading Kyrie for Davis or another big stud because of his value? That would actually make more sense since players are so replaceable. Or Gordon with his value going up?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:15:05 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2019, 02:35:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

No way that happens.

All those guys Danny traded were either injured or past their Prime. Danny has a type of player he likes and so does Brad.  I think you guys are setting yourself up for hearbreak. They don't keep Smart in the lineup after his little discretions for trade bait, and they don't keep Rozier or Morris around because they kill this team like posters always say. As much negativity as I throw their way...I atleast see a bit of their vision, and it's not hording players to trade them.

How bout trading Kyrie for Davis or another big stud because of his value? That would actually make more sense since players are so replaceable. Or Gordon with his value going up?
the idea is to add AD to Kyrie, Hayward and Al - not replace one of them with AD.  that'd be pointless.

I get the love of the young guys we drafted.  they're always near and dear to our hearts as C's fans but if we can get a top 3 player in the league for 'just' Tatum and Smart while keeping Brown, you make that deal  provided AD is open to resigning here.  if he's adamant about leaving, I wouldn't do the deal for a 1-year rental.  most people wouldn't.

« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2019, 02:48:33 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

No way that happens.

Kyrie might be replaceable by another top-5 PG, say, someone like Dame. But he's not easy to replace if you want someone to trust with the ball at the end of a close playoff game.  If he's not shooting it, he's bending gravity so Tatum and Hayward have more space to work.