Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 232209 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #735 on: April 23, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
This reminds me of last year when people said we had absolutely no answer for the Greek Freak and that without Irving and Hayward we had no chance of beating them. Then of course, we did. Different years, different teams, different team with home court advantage, but boy some folks on here seriously act like we have 0% chance to win this series. That, and apparently MIL beating up on Detroit (w/o a healthy Griffin and no Griffin first two games) is way more impressive than us sweeping Indiana who have one of the best defenses in the league and are way, way more physical than Detroit  ::)

Indiana without Oladipo is still a much better team than Detroit without Griffin, and marginally so than with a healthy Griffin (which he clearly wasn't as he basically played with one leg the final two games).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #736 on: April 23, 2019, 04:41:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Jazz may have saved their season tonight.

But it all ends Wednesday for them.
Not quite sure how winning only one game salvages the season for them, sure now it is not a totall embaressment.
Maybe he meant literally considering their season was extended? Only explanation I can think of

That is correct, gouki, thank you! 3-0 lead, Jazz managed to stop a sweep from happening so now it is 3-1.

But the inner me says their season ends tomorrow in Houston because of reasons and expectations from Houston at home.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #737 on: April 23, 2019, 06:25:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm confused - I guess people who think that the MIL win yesterday was just a total blowout and they would have won anyway just didn't watch the game. Like mid-way through the 3rd quarter, DET was actually winning the game. To that point, it was already a huge FT disparity in MIL's favor, but the wheels just kind-of fell off and DET went on a tail-spin when the phantom (no, not you Phantom  ;) ) foul barrage just kept happening.

I don't know that DET would have won that game - MIL is a tough team and I am sure they wanted to close out the game - but it was nowhere near the blowout that the score seemed to indicate.

« Reply #738 on: April 23, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Does the NBA have a mercy rule? This Raptors/Magic game is over.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:05:58 PM by GreenCoffeeBean »

« Reply #739 on: April 23, 2019, 07:52:44 PM »

Kiorrik

Raptors have a super annoying announcer, Magic announcers are boring as all day. There's really no winning here lol

« Reply #740 on: April 23, 2019, 07:55:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
DJ Augustin went bonkers in that Game 1 and the Magic haven't been the same since.

« Reply #741 on: April 23, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Does the NBA have a mercy rule? This Raptors/Bucks game is over.

What Raptors/Bucks game?

« Reply #742 on: April 23, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Does the NBA have a mercy rule? This Raptors/Bucks game is over.

What Raptors/Bucks game?

Whoops. Hopefully not a prediction.

« Reply #743 on: April 23, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nets look like the Nets we were very familiar with while we had their picks right now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #744 on: April 23, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Boy, you suck, Nets. Not only did you give up several chances to take control of this series with dumb turnovers and selfish play, but then you completely no-show for an elimination game?

« Reply #745 on: April 23, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah looks like the Raptors and Sixers are taking care of business easily tonight.

I'm beginning to think the Nets (and Dudley) really blew it getting drawn to the hype and trashtalking the Sixers on their end like every game after Game 1. Once that happened, the Nets became sluggish and the Sixers played like they wanted to prove a point (especially Simmons).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #746 on: April 23, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Toronto and Milwaukee look like they're in a different class to the rest of the East. They play exactly the same every game, but in a good way.

« Reply #747 on: April 23, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The games tonight stink. They are not fantastic.

« Reply #748 on: April 23, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Here we go Denver vs San Antonio! This is going to be good!

« Reply #749 on: April 23, 2019, 10:46:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
God, I hope we come out and destroy Milwaukee in game one. Lots of ignorant Bucks fans on Twitter making dumb comparisons and arguments to claim that Milwaukee is going to handle Boston easily. To name a few:

"ThE bUcKs StOmPeD tHe CeLtIcS iN tHe SeAsOn SeRiEs. tHeY’rE cLeArLy BeTtEr ThIs YeAr!"

Reality - the Bucks beat the Celtics 2-1 in the season series, the last win being a one point win at home where it literally required the refs missing three foul calls on the final Kyrie shot for them to pull out the victory. Their other win was a mid-December game where our entire frontline (Al, Baynes, and Morris) was injured and we started Semi freaking Ojeleye at Center. In fact, every single game we had at least one guy in the top seven of our rotation out - Brown in the first game and both Baynes and Hayward for the final game - where Milwaukee was fully healthy for every single game. Yeah, really convincing season series win.  ::)

"ThE cElTiCs CoUlD bArElY sCoRe On InDiAnA oNlY bReAkInG 100 tWiCe! We AvErAgEd OvEr 120 AgAiNsT dEtRoIt!"

Reality - this argument is even dumber and completely ignores context. Indiana by several measures was the best defensive team in the league, and at worst was a top-3 defensive team in the league. Compare that to Detroit who was middle of the pack between 12 and 15, was much worse defensively, and was about as bad of a matchup defensively with Milwaukee as possible. That's just a LITTLE relevant to the scores in the respective series. Further, that doesn't even take into account that Indy's defense was a perfect fit against the type of offense that Boston runs, as they're excellent at creating turnovers and contesting shots out on the perimeter. Compare that to Milwaukee, on the other hand, who is actually below average defensively out on the perimeter, especially the three, but elite at protecting the paint.

Going to be a good series. I think it's about as close to a pick'em as possible. While Milwaukee has HCA and the best overall player in the series, I think the distance between Giannis and Kyrie is pretty much evaporated in this series by the fact that Giannis' game is not necessarily conducive to tight, late game situations, unlike Kyrie. When it comes to needing a bucket late in the halfcourt set, who do you trust more to get you a bucket - Giannis or Kyrie? Add on top of this the much greater playoff experience we have and the fact that we matchup with them much better than they matchup with us (specifically the Al/Lopez matchup, which is a complete gamechanger for Milwaukee, as Lopez simply can't guard Al out on the perimeter), and I think you have a pick'em if not a slight Boston advantage. (Certainly no Celtics fan bias here either!  ;))