Author Topic: What 4 year deal would entice Horford to opt out and take a pay cut?  (Read 4567 times)

Re: What 4 year deal would entice Horford to opt out and take a pay cut?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I go back and forth on Al. I generally think he's vastly overpaid but think there's also a team that will throw him a ton of money if he opts out next summer. Next summer there will be a lot of cash being thrown around.And we have Kyrie and Rozier to worry about..

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Without thinking about what Al would choose to do, would it not be better for us if he opts in?

We'll be in the tax that year anyway (hopefully for the first time). If Al opts out he would presumably want to recoup the money he is opting out of over the length of the contract. If he instead opts in and gets that $30m, would he be more inclined to take much less in the following years?

Say it was opt out and sign $80m over 4 years vs opt in earn $30m then sign $50m over 3 years. Which would we prefer?

If they’re already in LT territory than the latter. I think that’s where I am at this point too. Hopefully Al opts in...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I really don't believe that "discount" and "pay cut" are appropriate terms in/for any context/discussion that includes/involves the contracts of NBA players.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:34:59 AM by Beat LA »