Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)  (Read 77620 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)
« Reply #660 on: May 08, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I will feel bad for the Jazz fans if Hayward leaves. They are chanting his name in his last game of their season.

« Reply #661 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So as mentioned, Jazz fans chanted "Hayward" at the end of the game.

And Hayward gave them the peace sign while leaving.

Could that be a sign he does leave?

What other teams could be options for him? Boston yes. Indiana? Lakers?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #662 on: May 08, 2017, 11:44:10 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Miami

« Reply #663 on: May 08, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
TNT guys giving the KG and the guys heat about Ray lol

« Reply #664 on: May 08, 2017, 11:50:01 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

I doubt it means anything lol.

I would expect a lot of interest in him, he's arguably the best talent in free agency this offseason.

Raptors maybe if Lowry leaves? Lakers possibly but PG13 seems like the more likely fit there. What about Miami or Minnesota?

« Reply #665 on: May 09, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
http://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-kyle-lowry-now-1795022925?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Pretty good time for the Spurs to lose Parker and need an upgrade, huh? This summer Paul, Lowry, Hill, and Holiday will all be free agent point guards that are likely good fits in San Antonio.

With Lowry's comments about Lebron being unbeatable and him wanting a ring above all, I could really see him taking less money and going to the Spurs. Holiday might be a better investment for the Spurs given his age, but right now Lowery is actually a really good fit for the Spurs.

And if Lowry would leave Toronto, I could see Derozan being a major target of LA over George, since they can just try and sign him next summer anyways.
Unless Parker retires and Gasol opts out, the Spurs aren't anywhere close to having enough cap space to get Paul or Lowery. 

they could trade gasol to the nets with a pick
Mills and Simmons are free agents and Dedmon has a small player option so he'll probably opt out.  If they don't resign any of them and dump Gasol via trade, the Spurs would have about 29M in cap space so Paul and Lowry would still be taking significantly less than their MAX. 

We're going to have similar issues creating a max slot but people are still putting us in the convo for the likes of Hayward and Griffin. We've seen crazier things happen and as we saw GS create the space to get Durant, there's a path.

And the Nets make PERFECT sense as a trade partner. They're on the hunt for assets so why not take Gasol with a pick if he opts in? It's not like they own their pick in 2018, so what do they care if he adds a few more wins. Put with Lin and Brook and add a little more entertainment value to your team.
We have better cap space than the Spurs.  Also, Hayward and Griffin don't have 10 years so they are only 30%MAX guys whereas Lowry and Paul are 35%MAX guys.  From a Spurs perspective, I don't think getting Lowry or Paul is enough to challenge GSW and they'd only have a 2 or 3 year window.  If they can free up significant cap space, they'd be better off going after Hayward or Griffin. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:29:57 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #666 on: May 09, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I doubt it means anything lol.

I would expect a lot of interest in him, he's arguably the best talent in free agency this offseason.

Raptors maybe if Lowry leaves? Lakers possibly but PG13 seems like the more likely fit there. What about Miami or Minnesota?
The media and everyone else always want to read into everything as a sign but the truth is probably that players rarely, if ever, make this kind of decision while there are still games going on. I doubt Hayward has made a final decision.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #667 on: May 09, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I mean the only real choices for Hayward here are Jazz or Celtics. Why on earth would he go to a worse team where he doesn't have the same relationships as the Jazz (mostly) and Cs (Stevens)?

It is still most likely he returns to Utah, but I would be very surprised if the Cs were obviously the next choice.

« Reply #668 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I think if the Celtics choose so, they have a very good chance at signing Hayward. I mean we are already as good as the Jazz without Hayward. If he signs with us, we're not giving away an asset so our team will be better. So in that sense, I can't imagine him picking the Jazz over us. Besides we have the upside factor of Jaylen Brown's development. TBH, he's looked pretty dam good on offense in the playoffs for the limited amount he has played. Looks like a guy who can play against talented players to me.

We also have this years pick. There is a lot of upside on this team and basically every player on this team currently will be better next year. So yeah, I think we can sign Hayward. I think the focus will be on George however. It's going to be a bidding war for him.

« Reply #669 on: May 09, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think if the Celtics choose so, they have a very good chance at signing Hayward. I mean we are already as good as the Jazz without Hayward. If he signs with us, we're not giving away an asset so our team will be better. So in that sense, I can't imagine him picking the Jazz over us. Besides we have the upside factor of Jaylen Brown's development. TBH, he's looked pretty dam good on offense in the playoffs for the limited amount he has played. Looks like a guy who can play against talented players to me.

We also have this years pick. There is a lot of upside on this team and basically every player on this team currently will be better next year. So yeah, I think we can sign Hayward. I think the focus will be on George however. It's going to be a bidding war for him.

I don't think there'll be a bidding war for George. If he wants to go to the Lakers, he'll make it clear and that'll be that. I don't see any team giving up good assets for him if he's saying he'll bolt. It'll be a redux of Denver trading Carmelo to the Knicks.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #670 on: May 09, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I don't think there'll be a bidding war for George. If he wants to go to the Lakers, he'll make it clear and that'll be that. I don't see any team giving up good assets for him if he's saying he'll bolt. It'll be a redux of Denver trading Carmelo to the Knicks.

Lowe wrote in his Toronto Article that the Lakers are willing to offer their young assets for George. Just FYI. I wouldn't be so sure in believing those Laker reports. Lowe wouldn't be reporting the Lakers interest in a trade if the Lakers were confident they could sign him.

Let's just be honest here, He is going to consider Boston in free agency. Why wouldn't he? We're in a great situation and the team has young players who have played in the playoffs. They're going to get better. Imagine Smart at 25, Brown at 23, and Rozier at 25. That's not inluding this years pick and Zizic.

Besides, wasn't Shaq the last big free agent the Lakers landed? Carmelo blew them off. Westbrook didn't even hesitate to sign with the Thunder after all the Lakers reports came out. I can go on and on. ALdrige blew them off as well. Players want playing time, and they want to win. So we can sign George imo.

« Reply #671 on: May 09, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
We're going to have similar issues creating a max slot but people are still putting us in the convo for the likes of Hayward and Griffin. We've seen crazier things happen and as we saw GS create the space to get Durant, there's a path.

And the Nets make PERFECT sense as a trade partner. They're on the hunt for assets so why not take Gasol with a pick if he opts in? It's not like they own their pick in 2018, so what do they care if he adds a few more wins. Put with Lin and Brook and add a little more entertainment value to your team.
We have better cap space than the Spurs.  Also, Hayward and Griffin don't have 10 years so they are only 30%MAX guys whereas Lowry and Paul are 35%MAX guys.  From a Spurs perspective, I don't think getting Lowry or Paul is enough to challenge GSW and they'd only have a 2 or 3 year window.  If they can free up significant cap space, they'd be better off going after Hayward or Griffin.

But we don't have clear cut max cap space, we'd have to renounce rights to guys and possibly trade someone to open it up. My point is, if we get a player to commit, we can make it happen. Spurs will also have to finagle, but there's a path to do it. If they trade Gasol to a team with cap space (i.e. the Nets) by attaching a pick, renounce rights to Mills and Dedmond, use the stretch on provision on Parker, they'd get pretty darn close.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #672 on: May 09, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Lowe wrote in his Toronto Article that the Lakers are willing to offer their young assets for George. Just FYI. I wouldn't be so sure in believing those Laker reports. Lowe wouldn't be reporting the Lakers interest in a trade if the Lakers were confident they could sign him.

Let's just be honest here, He is going to consider Boston in free agency. Why wouldn't he? We're in a great situation and the team has young players who have played in the playoffs. They're going to get better. Imagine Smart at 25, Brown at 23, and Rozier at 25. That's not inluding this years pick and Zizic.

Besides, wasn't Shaq the last big free agent the Lakers landed? Carmelo blew them off. Westbrook didn't even hesitate to sign with the Thunder after all the Lakers reports came out. I can go on and on. ALdrige blew them off as well. Players want playing time, and they want to win. So we can sign George imo.

It's presumptuous to assume Paul is going to consider Boston. If young talent is all that matters, why not consider Minnesota or Denver? And it was leaked at the trade deadline that Denver made a "monster" trade offer for him, but Paul made it known to them he had no interest in reupping there if he was traded. He might have a whole different list of priorities in terms of where he wants to play.

Sources leaking that he was "hell-bent" on the Lakers right around the deadline wasn't a coincidence. That's his people trying to scare off potential suitors. LA dangling young assets for him might be more about their impatience to add a star talent than them not believing in their chances. AND Paul would also benefit from being traded to LA as opposed to just signing in FA. They'd get his bird rights and can give him a fifth year.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #673 on: May 09, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

It's presumptuous to assume Paul is going to consider Boston. If young talent is all that matters, why not consider Minnesota or Denver? And it was leaked at the trade deadline that Denver made a "monster" trade offer for him, but Paul made it known to them he had no interest in reupping there if he was traded. He might have a whole different list of priorities in terms of where he wants to play.

Sources leaking that he was "hell-bent" on the Lakers right around the deadline wasn't a coincidence. That's his people trying to scare off potential suitors. LA dangling young assets for him might be more about their impatience to add a star talent than them not believing in their chances. AND Paul would also benefit from being traded to LA as opposed to just signing in FA. They'd get his bird rights and can give him a fifth year.

Because those teams don't make the playoffs? They didn't win 50 games? I mean just look at our team objectively. We're going to improve every year. Bradley and Crowder even have room for growth. Horford is the only one who will decline tbh. And by the way, there is a reason we had a meeting with Durant and signed Horford last offseason. Players will want to play here.

We'll see what happens. I still have my doubts about George. If you're only argument is that he wants to go to the Lakers because he grew up there, then that really isn't an argument. Also, he was a Clippers fan growing up. Just FYI.

« Reply #674 on: May 09, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Because those teams don't make the playoffs? They didn't win 50 games? I mean just look at our team objectively. We're going to improve every year. Bradley and Crowder even have room for growth. Horford is the only one who will decline tbh. And by the way, there is a reason we had a meeting with Durant and signed Horford last offseason. Players will want to play here.

We'll see what happens. I still have my doubts about George. If you're only argument is that he wants to go to the Lakers because he grew up there, then that really isn't an argument. Also, he was a Clippers fan growing up. Just FYI.

If you could point out where I made this argument, I'd really appreciate it.

My argument was that I don't think all those leaks to Woj and Marc Stein happened around the trade deadline accidentally. Those guys have direct contact with player agents. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

And I am looking at our team objectively, we're good but we don't have any "young" guy on our roster with as much potential as a Karl Anthony Town or even Andrew Wiggins. Crowder's actually regressed. Avery will be an FA that offseason and will be looking to cash in. IT will also be an FA and looking at a max deal. Marcus Smart will be a restricted FA. Are we retaining those guys or letting them walk? If we keep them, we may not even have cap to go after Paul in free agency. If we don't keep them, we're pitching Paul with what?

Denver and Minnesota where two random teams I mentioned, but you could also add in the Wizards to that list. Depending on what Washington does this offseason, they could have max room in 2018. I think pairing up with John Wall and Bradley Beal would be an infinitely better situation. But again, if the leaks where true and he wants LA, then that's where he goes.
2021 Houston Rockets