Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)  (Read 77922 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)
« Reply #630 on: May 07, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think the Cavs sweep the whole conference.

Naw, both Boston and Washington can give them much more competition and trouble. The Raptors are just fearful of the Cavs and have just never been a good playoff team.

Toronto literally played bad every game that series, though the last two at home without Lowry are a bit more understandable.
Meh, Washington's bench is too horrible. The Celtics weaknesses are too exploitable.

The margin for error is sadly too small for every game due to the disparity in talent. Doubt either team can overcome it.

« Reply #631 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The Rockets is also blowing out the Spurs. At least the lost against Washington doesn't look too bad now.

« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Rockets is also blowing out the Spurs. At least the lost against Washington doesn't look too bad now.

Giving up a 26-0 run after giving up a 22-0 in the previous game, in two straight blowout losses, has no silver lining.

Looks bad no matter the context.

As for Spurs - Rox, I'm pretty sure this is going 7, and I have no idea who is going to win.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Giving up a 26-0 run after giving up a 22-0 in the previous game, in two straight blowout losses, has no silver lining.

As for Spurs - Rox, I'm pretty sure this is going 7, and I have no idea who is going to win.

They are playing on the Washington homecourt. It's expected that Wizards will have more energy. In the playoffs, you are only good as your last game. If Wizards manage to steal our homecourt, then its a concern.

Both losses of the Spurs came from a blowout.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:21:55 PM by mr. dee »

« Reply #634 on: May 08, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Nene out for the rest of the postseason with left abductor tear.

Big loss for Houston's bench. He was key in the last round. Not sure but I don't think the Rockets bench has any other centers to step in and replace Nene in the rotation. Tough situation.

« Reply #635 on: May 08, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
NBA got to find a way to make this league more competitive .
Watching Cavs or warriors is plain boring.

« Reply #636 on: May 08, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
NBA got to find a way to make this league more competitive .
Watching Cavs or warriors is plain boring.

I agree. These have been the least enjoyable playoffs I can remember. Utah Clippers was a competitive series, but was also less enjoyable because of injuries to Paul and Gobert. Wizards Hawks had a few moments, as did Bulls Celtics and Celtics Wizards. None of those teams are a real threat to win it all though.

So are going to end up with, what, 3 meaningful playoff series the whole time? (Rockets/Spurs, Rockets/Warriors, Cavs Warriors) Wonder if ratings are not down from some other years where you really could see more than 2 teams actually winning it all.

« Reply #637 on: May 08, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
http://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-kyle-lowry-now-1795022925?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Pretty good time for the Spurs to lose Parker and need an upgrade, huh? This summer Paul, Lowry, Hill, and Holiday will all be free agent point guards that are likely good fits in San Antonio.

With Lowry's comments about Lebron being unbeatable and him wanting a ring above all, I could really see him taking less money and going to the Spurs. Holiday might be a better investment for the Spurs given his age, but right now Lowry is actually a really good fit for the Spurs.

And if Lowry would leave Toronto, I could see Derozan being a major target of LA over George, since they can just try and sign him next summer anyways.

« Reply #638 on: May 08, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

As Ryan Bernadoni stated on Twitter, the Leonard-lead, Popovich Spurs have been blown out in two games against the Rockets, similar to the Cs.

A loss is a loss.  Hopefully the Cs care less about the margin than the fans do.

« Reply #639 on: May 08, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
http://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-kyle-lowry-now-1795022925?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Pretty good time for the Spurs to lose Parker and need an upgrade, huh? This summer Paul, Lowry, Hill, and Holiday will all be free agent point guards that are likely good fits in San Antonio.

With Lowry's comments about Lebron being unbeatable and him wanting a ring above all, I could really see him taking less money and going to the Spurs. Holiday might be a better investment for the Spurs given his age, but right now Lowry is actually a really good fit for the Spurs.

And if Lowry would leave Toronto, I could see Derozan being a major target of LA over George, since they can just try and sign him next summer anyways.

Spurs seem like such a logical fit, it's hard to see it not happening now. Leonard/Lowry/Aldridge is pretty competitive. I'd give that core a chance against GSW.

I could see LA targeting DeRozan, too, but timing might screw that up. If Magic and the Lakers can show some restraint and not make a draft day deal, I think DeRozan could be had after free agency plays out. Potentially, DeRozan and PG could be a good pairing. Don't know how the rest of the roster shapes up, but that could be a solid duo.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #640 on: May 08, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

As Ryan Bernadoni stated on Twitter, the Leonard-lead, Popovich Spurs have been blown out in two games against the Rockets, similar to the Cs.

A loss is a loss.  Hopefully the Cs care less about the margin than the fans do.

It's not just about the margin, it's how we got there. Nevermind the rebounding disparity because  it's comical at this point, but these last two games have really highlighted 2 concerns I have about this current team:

1.) the Isaiah conundrum. There's no question he's a special offensive player but his defense can take you out of games. They are ATTACKING him defensively right now. Every player he guards goes right into posting him up and he can't hang. Particularly with Washington's starting unit, there's nowhere to hide him defensively. Wall? Lol. Beal? Nope. Otto? Nah. But he's your only offensive threat, so you have to ride with him and hope for the best. Which brings me to...

2.) No consistent offense outside of Isaiah. We have a bunch of jumpshooters who don't really bring anything to the table offensively if they're not hitting 3's. That's a problem. If IT isn't making things happen and guys aren't hitting wide open shots, we have no post presence or secondary shot creator to go to. The closest is Avery Bradley and while he's much improved, Avery cannot be your second best perimeter scorer. You can try to give it to Al in the post, but he wants to - or we're asking him to, I'm not sure - be a jumpshooter too.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #641 on: May 08, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
And with AB nursing a hip pointer....we are doomed.

Im sad now knowing this might be the end of our season.

I really dont know what to make of our struggles now...I just want to trade Crowder and Smart right about now.

« Reply #642 on: May 08, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

With Lowry's comments about Lebron being unbeatable and him wanting a ring above all, I could really see him taking less money and going to the Spurs. Holiday might be a better investment for the Spurs given his age, but right now Lowery is actually a really good fit for the Spurs.

Unless Parker retires and Gasol opts out, the Spurs aren't anywhere close to having enough cap space to get Paul or Lowery. 

« Reply #643 on: May 08, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

With Lowry's comments about Lebron being unbeatable and him wanting a ring above all, I could really see him taking less money and going to the Spurs. Holiday might be a better investment for the Spurs given his age, but right now Lowery is actually a really good fit for the Spurs.

Unless Parker retires and Gasol opts out, the Spurs aren't anywhere close to having enough cap space to get Paul or Lowery. 

they could trade gasol to the nets with a pick

« Reply #644 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

they could trade gasol to the nets with a pick
Mills and Simmons are free agents and Dedmon has a small player option so he'll probably opt out.  If they don't resign any of them and dump Gasol via trade, the Spurs would have about 29M in cap space so Paul and Lowry would still be taking significantly less than their MAX.