Author Topic: Everyday my Dad texts me from the TJ Maxx parking lot  (Read 7999 times)

Everyday my Dad texts me from the TJ Maxx parking lot
« on: August 17, 2023, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
My elderly father texts me everyday around 5:30. Conversations are always the same. Him telling me he's bored and we chat about random things from our days. Sometimes he'll tell me he's waiting in the car while my step-mother is in TJ Maxx.

However I noticed he's mentioned this several days in a row so I asked if he's really sitting in the car waiting on her at TJ Maxx. He said yes she goes there everyday. Why is she going to TJ Maxx everyday to shop? Oh she rarely comes out with anything she likes helping folding the clothes and putting this back in order after people pick through things. She doesn't work there. He likes the quietness of sitting in the car watching people in the parking lot.

I'm not sure why I shared this but found it pretty funny.
ok fine

Re: Everyday my Dad texts me from the TJ Maxx parking lot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 05:55:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
My elderly father texts me everyday around 5:30. Conversations are always the same. Him telling me he's bored and we chat about random things from our days. Sometimes he'll tell me he's waiting in the car while my step-mother is in TJ Maxx.

However I noticed he's mentioned this several days in a row so I asked if he's really sitting in the car waiting on her at TJ Maxx. He said yes she goes there everyday. Why is she going to TJ Maxx everyday to shop? Oh she rarely comes out with anything she likes helping folding the clothes and putting this back in order after people pick through things. She doesn't work there. He likes the quietness of sitting in the car watching people in the parking lot.

I'm not sure why I shared this but found it pretty funny.

Nice story.  As a nearly elderly guy (not sure if people consider 65 nearly elderly)… I can relate to enjoying the solitude. My wife is away caring for her very elderly parents and I’m home tonight planning my dinner and thinking about what edgy movie I might watch (one I’m sure she’d hate).  Simple pleasures, but no TJ Maxx. My best to your dad -I  think I’ll call my daughters - - due for an annoying ring from dad.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 05:59:12 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
my parents are approaching their 90s
ok fine

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 06:27:45 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I thought there was a dark twist coming, glad it ended light hearted.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 07:50:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My Dad recently turned 80 and I've talked with him every day since my Mom died six years ago, and though he's fairly active, we do pretty much what you and your Dad do: tell each other about the day we had. It's a quiet but precious thing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
My Dad recently turned 80 and I've talked with him every day since my Mom died six years ago, and though he's fairly active, we do pretty much what you and your Dad do: tell each other about the day we had. It's a quiet but precious thing.

It’s really nice to hear that you talk to your dad everyday. Life is too short.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 08:41:26 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I am lucky to still have both parents, they are 98 years old and in poor health. I live 3+ hours away but I try to visit every week or so.

My dad is in a rehab facility and his only connection to the outside world (other than TV) is his cell phone. He calls me almost every day. We don't chat long but it helps him stay 'relevant' to the life he once knew.

I find your story to be endearing. Thank-you for posting.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 09:12:43 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
I am lucky to still have both parents, they are 98 years old and in poor health. I live 3+ hours away but I try to visit every week or so.

My dad is in a rehab facility and his only connection to the outside world (other than TV) is his cell phone. He calls me almost every day. We don't chat long but it helps him stay 'relevant' to the life he once knew.

I find your story to be endearing. Thank-you for posting.

Wonderful that your parents have had long lives, at the same time growing old is so difficult. My dad passed 30 years ago at 70 and though he was vibrant at the time and too young to go, the plus (I guess) is he never endured what my mom did over the last 10+ years of her life. For too many elderly, the last phase of life is filled with sadness, loneliness, humiliation, discomfort.
 At this moment, my wife is in upstate NY caring for her mid-80’s parents - mom who is declining mentally and dad who has had multiple strokes and is deteriorating by the day.  Hard to witness. 

It’s a little emotional for me to hear the stories of you all staying connected to your elderly parents - providing them with a bright moment in their day.  These small things are sometimes the most important. Best to all of you and your parents.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 12:46:50 PM »

• Satch Sanders

It’s really nice to hear that you talk to your dad everyday. Life is too short.

It is. And the older I get, the shorter (and faster) it seems. It's great to hear about others who are staying in touch with their parents and helping them—if you guys are like me, your parents did so much for you, sacrificed so much, and deserve the best.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 03:21:24 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the ages of the posters here would seem to bracket my own. as for the OP, enjoy your time with your dad and mom, regardless of way they contact you. if you dad likes sitting in a car, great! what sort of things did he put up with when you were younger?  ;D

also, if there is anything you want to say to either parent, do so now. because once they pass away, there is never a chance to do so, ever.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 03:37:32 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
the ages of the posters here would seem to bracket my own. as for the OP, enjoy your time with your dad and mom, regardless of way they contact you. if you dad likes sitting in a car, great! what sort of things did he put up with when you were younger?  ;D

also, if there is anything you want to say to either parent, do so now. because once they pass away, there is never a chance to do so, ever.

It’s interesting. I was able to be with/ care for my dad in the final weeks of his life. I told him I love him and all that.  Truth be told, we spent 35 years not getting along very well - and I hate to say this - but once he started on morphine, we got along quite well.

I said what I had to say but if I’m being completely honest I would have liked him to have owned his part for some of the challenges we had.  Our parents’ end of life isn’t just our chance to say what we want/need to say - but it’s their chance too. The only way to give them that chance is to be present.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

It’s interesting. I was able to be with/ care for my dad in the final weeks of his life. I told him I love him and all that.  Truth be told, we spent 35 years not getting along very well - and I hate to say this - but once he started on morphine, we got along quite well.

I said what I had to say but if I’m being completely honest I would have liked him to have owned his part for some of the challenges we had.  Our parents’ end of life isn’t just our chance to say what we want/need to say - but it’s their chance too. The only way to give them that chance is to be present.
well said, thanks for saying it. i think our fathers were very similar on many levels.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 05:41:25 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
This is a really great thread to see at the moment - we have both of my parents staying with us for a little while after not seeing them for a fairly long time, and even though we have a very good relationship I'll be very happy for them to once again be thousands of miles away - as it's a good reminder to look on the bright side of our familial relationships if we have the luxury to. :)

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 05:41:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

My father died in June.  I chose to stay away in his final days, as I had the prior 20 years.  I don’t regret it.

I’m happy for all those who have strong relationships with their parents, or were able to reach reconciliation at the end.  But that is not true for all, and if someone needs to not be there, they probably have plenty of good reason.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2023, 06:07:13 PM »

• Satch Sanders

My father died in June.  I chose to stay away in his final days, as I had the prior 20 years.  I don’t regret it.

I’m happy for all those who have strong relationships with their parents, or were able to reach reconciliation at the end.  But that is not true for all, and if someone needs to not be there, they probably have plenty of good reason.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry for whatever circumstances kept you guys apart.

— C.S. Lewis