Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 418771 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #480 on: June 09, 2015, 01:21:44 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2949
Several of the cast members have said that episode 10 contains the biggest moment of the series so far, even bigger than the red and purple weddings. I can't wait to see what it is, as long as it doesn't involve Jon, Dany, Jorah or Tyrion dying!  :(

It'll end on a cliffhanger with Jon getting stabbed by Ollie.

Uggghhh, I know. I just stumbled onto some spoilers, and the Night's Watch mutiny was one of them. I also found some speculative scenarios on Vanity Fair regarding possibly bringing Jon back (if he is in fact dead) by either Lady Melissandre or the freaking Night's King.

So after this episode the tv series will be caught up with the books' timeline, correct? I believe we still have Bran's storyline from the books yet to get to, but that runs concurrently with everything else right?

« Reply #481 on: June 09, 2015, 02:02:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Several of the cast members have said that episode 10 contains the biggest moment of the series so far, even bigger than the red and purple weddings. I can't wait to see what it is, as long as it doesn't involve Jon, Dany, Jorah or Tyrion dying!  :(

Uggghhh, I know. I just stumbled onto some spoilers, and the Night's Watch mutiny was one of them. I also found some speculative scenarios on Vanity Fair regarding possibly bringing Jon back (if he is in fact dead) by either Lady Melissandre or the freaking Night's King.

So after this episode the tv series will be caught up with the books' timeline, correct? I believe we still have Bran's storyline from the books yet to get to, but that runs concurrently with everything else right?
Word is they kept Bran's story out because his story involves spoilers for show and books. It's similar to Selmy, in books they get away with hiding his identity but on show it wouldn't work so he never hides who he is. My guess is since everyone is expecting deaths I think we see multiple resurrections that are past due and will excite.

« Reply #482 on: June 09, 2015, 02:19:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

What would you have him do? 

Say, "Hey, you know, if fate requires me to burn my only daughter at the stake in order to not freeze to death in the snow with my army and go down in history as a failed would-be-king, I think I'll just freeze.  It's just not worth it.  There are some things a man simply must not do."

--------

Looking to the structure of the episode, I'd say the Danaerys storyline, which picks up directly after Shireen's death, is a subtle commentary on the likely outcome of Stannis's decision.

Like Stannis, Dany was put in a tough position, where she had to go against her principles in order to save herself from a quagmire of her own making.  She caved on the fighting pits, and what did it get her?  This close to getting murdered by a mob of dudes in creepy bronze masks.

The dragon's fire, burning the masked attackers alive, was obviously supposed to make you think of Shireen.  Dany's salvation also comes in the form of a beast that burns people alive.  Unlike Mr. Baratheon's savior, Dany's is able to fly her away to safety.  But at what cost?   All of her closest allies are left behind in the stadium with plenty of attackers still alive, and it's not like any of the problems in Mereen have been solved.
Based on what I've seen in the show, Dany would make for a pretty terrible Queen.

« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2015, 02:29:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

They can't kill Jon off... the entire show revolves around his story arc.  EVERYONE else is secondary, imo.  A lot of razzle dazzle to throw us off a Luke Skywalker-esque heroes journey.    Maybe they'll fake it, but his death is basically the only death on the show that would actually shock me.

As soon as the ice zombie battle episode ended, I had the following thought:   They are clearly alluding to some kind of shocking moment where a bunch of the Night's watch turn on Jon... but it's stupid.   It's just completely stupid.   Every survivor of that ice zombie invasion should have walked through that wall ranting and raving, "LISTEN GUYS... SERIOUSLY...  TRUCE... WE JUST HAD A FREAKIN MASSACRE BY A HOARD OF ICE ZOMBIES.  YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!... IT'S A FREAKING BLOODBATH OUT THERE!!... Look, we were skeptical too!... Seriously, half of us were ready to stay when Jon showed up... We didn't trust him.  But then... BAM... crazy timing, we get attacked by a massive unlimited army of undead.   We're all probably going to die.  Ask any one of us... you have thousands of witnesses here.   Ask the members of the nights watch who came along... we are in this together!!!" ...

But that's not going to happen... and someone will inevitably try to kill Jon... and that defies logic.  Part of the problem, apparently, is that the huge battle scene wasn't in the books.  But it's in the show... and Jon was there... and at this point everyone should be on board with the plan... tons of witnesses are there to back up what just went down.   I'm already frustrated about a scene that may or may not even happen.

« Reply #484 on: June 09, 2015, 03:26:08 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2949

They can't kill Jon off... the entire show revolves around his story arc.  EVERYONE else is secondary, imo.  A lot of razzle dazzle to throw us off a Luke Skywalker-esque heroes journey.    Maybe they'll fake it, but his death is basically the only death on the show that would actually shock me.

As soon as the ice zombie battle episode ended, I had the following thought:   They are clearly alluding to some kind of shocking moment where a bunch of the Night's watch turn on Jon... but it's stupid.   It's just completely stupid.   Every survivor of that ice zombie invasion should have walked through that wall ranting and raving, "LISTEN GUYS... SERIOUSLY...  TRUCE... WE JUST HAD A FREAKIN MASSACRE BY A HOARD OF ICE ZOMBIES.  YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!... IT'S A FREAKING BLOODBATH OUT THERE!!... Look, we were skeptical too!... Seriously, half of us were ready to stay when Jon showed up... We didn't trust him.  But then... BAM... crazy timing, we get attacked by a massive unlimited army of undead.   We're all probably going to die.  Ask any one of us... you have thousands of witnesses here.   Ask the members of the nights watch who came along... we are in this together!!!" ...

But that's not going to happen... and someone will inevitably try to kill Jon... and that defies logic.  Part of the problem, apparently, is that the huge battle scene wasn't in the books.  But it's in the show... and Jon was there... and at this point everyone should be on board with the plan... tons of witnesses are there to back up what just went down.   I'm already frustrated about a scene that may or may not even happen.

Yeah, I don't think he's dead either, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him die for a bit then be raised back to life somehow. Speaking of that, episode 10 has the title of "Mother's Mercy" and apparently that is one of Lady Stoneheart's aliases.  :o

As I've said before, I've only read the first book of the series. But tonight I broke down and read the plot summaries of the rest of the books, which were fairly detailed by some hardcore fan, and I'm really surprised at how different the show is than the books. A ton was left out, and it's interesting that some of the main characters' storylines have been changed so much. Btw, why is there not an Aegon/Young Griff storyline in the show if he's really alive? That seems to be a major factor in the plot.

« Reply #485 on: June 09, 2015, 04:09:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Yeah, I don't think he's dead either, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him die for a bit then be raised back to life somehow. Speaking of that, episode 10 has the title of "Mother's Mercy" and apparently that is one of Lady Stoneheart's aliases.  :o

I think that Ladh Stoneheart won`t appear in the show.

« Reply #486 on: June 09, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
seriously hoping that sacrificing her comes back to screw him badly very shortly

What would you have him do?  Even Davos said they didn't have supplies to make it back to the Wall.  They just lost all their food so they can't siege Winterfell and they can't attack Winterfell because all their siege craft was burned up.  His options were literally letting his daughter and all their freeze to death along with his entire army or sacrificing his daughter to give his army a fighting chance.  The only other option was suicide and not just for him personally, but for everybody.
I know it's just a show and it is GoT afterall where brutality is to be expected but child sacrifice, particularly burning at the stake, shouldn't have  been considered an option.  had a feeling it was coming though (something nasty anyway) when Shireen said she was willing to help as a princess and his daughter.

you'd think it would give his men pause to continue fighting for someone so power hungry that he'd burn his daughter alive.  If he'd do that to her, what would he do to them for his own personal gain?  This isn't the type of guy you fight for or want running the world.

« Reply #487 on: June 09, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553

As I've said before, I've only read the first book of the series. But tonight I broke down and read the plot summaries of the rest of the books, which were fairly detailed by some hardcore fan, and I'm really surprised at how different the show is than the books. A ton was left out, and it's interesting that some of the main characters' storylines have been changed so much. Btw, why is there not an Aegon/Young Griff storyline in the show if he's really alive? That seems to be a major factor in the plot.
Aegon doesn't do much in Book 5.  They can easily save his story line for later and not miss anything.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #488 on: June 09, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

have to agree on that.  I'm surprised there wasn't more made of what happened in the Wildling camp with a sense of urgency regarding the manning of the wall/joining forces and the impending doom approaching

« Reply #489 on: June 09, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Based on what I've seen in the show, Dany would make for a pretty terrible Queen.

And Stannis would make a pretty terrible king.

But they both have much wiser advisers who'd inevitably do a better job.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #490 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Many parts of the storyline have already moved beyond the books at this point.  Bran's storyline is not one of them, but his storyline is also boring.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2015, 09:07:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Btw, why is there not an Aegon/Young Griff storyline in the show if he's really alive? That seems to be a major factor in the plot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're having Trystane play that role.  I thought there was a big hint when Doran said he needed to sit on the Small Council "if he's going to rule".  Could refer to ruling Dorne, but I think Doran has something bigger in mind.  Having Trystane be the "real"/possibly fake Aegon doesn't make a lot of sense, but would let the show runners cut a lot of corners without removing the plot point entirely, and book readers wouldn't see it coming like they would with a Griff character.

Next week I expect we'll find out what Doran's master plan is so there should be more clarity there.  There's definitely more to what he's doing than meets the eye.

« Reply #492 on: June 09, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Btw, why is there not an Aegon/Young Griff storyline in the show if he's really alive? That seems to be a major factor in the plot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're having Trystane play that role.  I thought there was a big hint when Doran said he needed to sit on the Small Council "if he's going to rule".  Could refer to ruling Dorne, but I think Doran has something bigger in mind.  Having Trystane be the "real"/possibly fake Aegon doesn't make a lot of sense, but would let the show runners cut a lot of corners without removing the plot point entirely, and book readers wouldn't see it coming like they would with a Griff character.

Next week I expect we'll find out what Doran's master plan is so there should be more clarity there.  There's definitely more to what he's doing than meets the eye.
I always assumed Tristane was taking Quenten's role and might eventually be the one seeking Dany's hand in marriage, but I suppose your theory makes just as much sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #493 on: June 09, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Many parts of the storyline have already moved beyond the books at this point.  Bran's storyline is not one of them, but his storyline is also boring.
I disagree that Bran's storyline is boring. The kid is getting a dbz power up to be the three eyed Raven. Or maybe that is something boring as his powers are ridiculous. It does give too much hope to uniting the kingdom and beating the White Walkers.

« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I always assumed Tristane was taking Quenten's role and might eventually be the one seeking Dany's hand in marriage, but I suppose your theory makes just as much sense.

They definitely folded a lot of Dornish stuff together, but for Trystane to try and marry Dany would probably require something to happen to Myrcella awfully soon, especially since they're representing she and Trystane as genuinely caring for each other.  And Dany's already past that point in her story.  Could happen but doesn't seem like the way they're going.  I think he's taking Aegon's role but maybe won't necessarily "be Aegon", just be the instrument of Dorne's revenge in a similar way.

It seems like Quentyn's cut out entirely, even in terms of giving someone else parts of his story.  Though I wonder if (avoiding spoilers) Jorah's going to be doing Quentyn's one significant action soon.