Author Topic: now we can mock draft, at least  (Read 13296 times)

Re: now we can mock draft, at least
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Looks like Cavs are taking Embiid.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10963370/2014-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers-joel-embiid-top-draft-board-no-1-pick-per-sources

No surprises there -- assuming his back holds out he's got too much upside and too high of a floor not to take.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I agree. If there are concerns I cant see him passing the 76ers who can take the risk as they have the 10th pick also

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Note:  This is a dream scenario.

When the individual workouts start, I think everything is going to change.  I also think Embiid entered this draft because there was no guarantee that the Celtics and Lakers would have as good a shot at the number 1 pick in any future draft.  Don't be surprised to see his agent do everything in his power to get him to Boston if both Danny and the player want it.  No doubt he will work out with the C's.  All that said, the key to this draft is Exum.  He's going to be the player most likely to creep up in the draft and cause Parker or Embiid to fall to 4, in which case either is in play for Danny.  Here's what I think might happen:

1-- Andrew Wiggins without a doubt (either Cleveland picks, trades to Minny in a Love deal, or to the 6ers for 3 and 10, don't count that thought out)

2-- Parker -- My gut says they take Exum here, but I think they are a play it safe organization.  With Larry Sanders defending the cup, they desperately need someone who can put the ball in the basket.

3-- If Philly keeps the pick, I think Exum slips in here.  MCW and Exum would be one of the longest and deadliest backcourts in the league immediately and they have Noel coming in up front.  I don't see them trying to develop two bigs.  If they move into the 1 spot, I could see the Cavs grabbing Embiid here but they too will take a long look at Exum. They nab Parker if Exum goes 2.   

4-- Here's where I think the C's come into play.  I could see Boston trading 6 and 17 to Orlando into this spot to grab Embiid if he's available.  Which opens major doors for Orlando whose team has a ton of holes. (pipe dream I know)

5-- Vonleh,-- Favors is a free agent in a year, they could grab Gordon here too, but they go bigger.  One year to develop the big and move Favors at the deadline, and put Vonleh up front next to Kanter. 

6-- Smart-- Magic get their point guard with 2 more first round pics upcoming. 

7-- Randle-- Lakers go with the post presence, re-sign Gasol.

8-- Saric is the pick here.  Either SAC for themselves, or Orlando trading 12 and 17 up to get him and sure up their front line with a backcourt of Smart and Oladipo.

9-- Charlotte takes McDermott.  Don't ask.

10-- Gordon falls to 10 to Philly or Cleveland.  Either team ends up with Exum and Gordon.  Not a bad haul with the league going smaller.

This is totally a dream scenario because Embiid is my binky.  But I think its a realistic dream scenario where Philly gets their man in Wiggins, and Cleveland and Orlando make out like bandits.  C's land Embiid.  Embiid to Boston, Smart to Orlando, and Wiggins to Philly are the 3 most perfect team need player skill perfect pairings in the whole draft.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Note:  This is a dream scenario.

When the individual workouts start, I think everything is going to change.  I also think Embiid entered this draft because there was no guarantee that the Celtics and Lakers would have as good a shot at the number 1 pick in any future draft.  Don't be surprised to see his agent do everything in his power to get him to Boston if both Danny and the player want it.  No doubt he will work out with the C's.  All that said, the key to this draft is Exum.  He's going to be the player most likely to creep up in the draft and cause Parker or Embiid to fall to 4, in which case either is in play for Danny.  Here's what I think might happen:

1-- Andrew Wiggins without a doubt (either Cleveland picks, trades to Minny in a Love deal, or to the 6ers for 3 and 10, don't count that thought out)

2-- Parker -- My gut says they take Exum here, but I think they are a play it safe organization.  With Larry Sanders defending the cup, they desperately need someone who can put the ball in the basket.

3-- If Philly keeps the pick, I think Exum slips in here.  MCW and Exum would be one of the longest and deadliest backcourts in the league immediately and they have Noel coming in up front.  I don't see them trying to develop two bigs.  If they move into the 1 spot, I could see the Cavs grabbing Embiid here but they too will take a long look at Exum. They nab Parker if Exum goes 2.   

4-- Here's where I think the C's come into play.  I could see Boston trading 6 and 17 to Orlando into this spot to grab Embiid if he's available.  Which opens major doors for Orlando whose team has a ton of holes. (pipe dream I know)

5-- Vonleh,-- Favors is a free agent in a year, they could grab Gordon here too, but they go bigger.  One year to develop the big and move Favors at the deadline, and put Vonleh up front next to Kanter. 

6-- Smart-- Magic get their point guard with 2 more first round pics upcoming. 

7-- Randle-- Lakers go with the post presence, re-sign Gasol.

8-- Saric is the pick here.  Either SAC for themselves, or Orlando trading 12 and 17 up to get him and sure up their front line with a backcourt of Smart and Oladipo.

9-- Charlotte takes McDermott.  Don't ask.

10-- Gordon falls to 10 to Philly or Cleveland.  Either team ends up with Exum and Gordon.  Not a bad haul with the league going smaller.

This is totally a dream scenario because Embiid is my binky.  But I think its a realistic dream scenario where Philly gets their man in Wiggins, and Cleveland and Orlando make out like bandits.  C's land Embiid.  Embiid to Boston, Smart to Orlando, and Wiggins to Philly are the 3 most perfect team need player skill perfect pairings in the whole draft.

I love your optimism on getting Embiid.  Unfortunately, that scenario will only ever be a dream.  The only way we get him for #6 & #17 is if he arrives wearing a back brace.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
My 2nd ver

1. Embiid to Cleveland - Reports are his back looks fine. Francise calibre center

2. Wiggins to Milwaukee -  To help bring in more fans. Super Athletic, big upside

3. Parker to Philadelphia -  Offensively skilled. Could trade down the pick for a more athletic player

4. Randle to Orlando - I also think Exum might go here also but the team already has Afflalo and oliadipo as their guards of the future.  Team actually lacks a starting calibre PF.

5. Exum to Utah - Team already has Burke as the pg but could slide Exum as the sg/2nd pg and make things work. Good inside/outside potential with Burkes ability to shoot and Exum's ability to drive to the basket

6. Gordon to Boston - As long as he has improved his jump shot, he will be too much to pass up. 

7. Smart to LA - The team needs help everywhere outside of the SG position. Smart passing skills, defense, intensit will make Kobe's life easier

8. Payton to Sacramento - First reach of the draft. Payton has all the tools to be a top pg in the nba. Just needs to develop his jump shot

9. Noah Vonleh to New Orleans - BPA . Could work well with Davis

10. Lavine to Philadelphia
11. Saric to Denver
12. Stauskus to Orlando
13. Porzingis  to Minnesota
14. Mcdermott to Phoenix
15. Early to Atlanta
16. Ennis to Chicago
17. Warren to Boston

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
1. Wiggins to Cleveland - After the Bennet backlash, this is the safest pick. He's healthy, he'll sell tickets. He should be a great pairing with Kyrie... Or they'll draft McDermott. Who knows.

2. Embiid to Milwaukee - Yes, they have Sanders but Embiid is still a great upgrade. Of all their youth, they still don't have a "franchise" guy. Embiid will be that. Sanders will be moved - or maybe they try him at PF next to Embiid for a year to rebuild his value.

3. Parker to Philadelphia - They desperately need a scorer, Jabari should be an elite one.

4. Exum to Orlando - This is almost a no-brainer. They REALLY want a PG and he and Oladipo could be an explosive backcourt.

5. Randle to Utah - I think they move Derrick Favors the center full-time and try to move Kanter. Randle and Favors could be a good young foundation in the frontcourt for them.

6. Gordon to Boston - If we don't trade it, we're taking Gordon. Just an impressive combo of athleticism, BBIQ, and motor. I don't see us passing on that.

7. Smart to LA - They have a lot of needs but with Steve Nash's unclear health, I think they take Smart. Give him an opportunity to be mentored by Nash before he retires.

8. Vonleh to Sacramento - PF is the biggest hole in their starting line up.

9. McDermott to New Orleans - they have a gaping hole at SF, McDermott will be an intriguing fit. I could also see them trying to trade up to get Gordon since I think perimeter defense is a bigger need than another scorer.

10. Stauskas to Philadelphia - If they take Jabari at #3, they can draft Stauskas to step in as the SG of the future. Projected starting lineup: MCW, Stauskas, Parker, Thad, Nerlens. Not bad at all.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
1. Wiggins to Cleveland - After the Bennet backlash, this is the safest pick. He's healthy, he'll sell tickets. He should be a great pairing with Kyrie... Or they'll draft McDermott. Who knows.

2. Embiid to Milwaukee - Yes, they have Sanders but Embiid is still a great upgrade. Of all their youth, they still don't have a "franchise" guy. Embiid will be that. Sanders will be moved - or maybe they try him at PF next to Embiid for a year to rebuild his value.

3. Parker to Philadelphia - They desperately need a scorer, Jabari should be an elite one.

4. Exum to Orlando - This is almost a no-brainer. They REALLY want a PG and he and Oladipo could be an explosive backcourt.

5. Randle to Utah - I think they move Derrick Favors the center full-time and try to move Kanter. Randle and Favors could be a good young foundation in the frontcourt for them.

6. Gordon to Boston - If we don't trade it, we're taking Gordon. Just an impressive combo of athleticism, BBIQ, and motor. I don't see us passing on that.

7. Smart to LA - They have a lot of needs but with Steve Nash's unclear health, I think they take Smart. Give him an opportunity to be mentored by Nash before he retires.

8. Vonleh to Sacramento - PF is the biggest hole in their starting line up.

9. McDermott to New Orleans - they have a gaping hole at SF, McDermott will be an intriguing fit. I could also see them trying to trade up to get Gordon since I think perimeter defense is a bigger need than another scorer.

10. Stauskas to Philadelphia - If they take Jabari at #3, they can draft Stauskas to step in as the SG of the future. Projected starting lineup: MCW, Stauskas, Parker, Thad, Nerlens. Not bad at all.

I disagree. It's the pg position.   The team needs a real pg to feed the ball to Gay, Cousins, Mclemore

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Mine:

1.) Cleveland - I want to say Wiggins, but I really think they'll do something stupid. 
2.) Bucks - Parker, they need the offense
3.) 76ers - Embiid - there is no way they pass on him
4.) Magic - Exum - BPA and a position of need, should be a no brainer
5.) Jazz - They are hardest to judge, since they have Hayward at the 3, Burke at the 1 and Favors at the 4.  Favors only has 1 year remaining, though.  I think that they take Randle here.
6.) Celtics - We're going to take Gordon, although I am hoping we'll take Saric.  Danny scouted Eastern Europe a few weeks ago, but I'm predicting AG.
7.) Lakers - Marcus Smart - They need a PG, he's a solid pick and he will do ok with the LA media
8.) Kings - Vonleh - they will play him at PF next to Cousins
9.) Hornets - Dougy Buckets - they need offense and he had a good combine.  They'll have an interesting offense with him next to Al Jeff and Walker
10.) 76ers - Saric - I think they take him here since Embiid won't be ready for a couple years and they can stash him overseas for a year.  2015 will be another great draft, so they'll probably just tank again
11.) Nuggets - Stauskas - they need a shooter and he had a good combine
12.) Magic - Zach Lavine - had a great combine, they need a PG in a year, they will have two great prospects at the 1 and 2 with him and Oladipo
13.) Wolves - Probably KJ McDaniel, they usually make bad picks like this
14.) Suns - Gary Harris - I hope he falls to us, but they'll probably take him here.  He would have gone a few picks higher if he was a few inches taller
15.) Hawks - Tyler Ennis - BPA I think
16.) Bulls - James Young - They need guards and he is a good prospect
17.) Celtics - TJ Warren - he is in the mold of PP, I think that sways our ownership
18.) Suns - Clint Capela - they like international guys, he has great size and it's not like they need to rush him into the line up
19.) Bulls - Rodney Hood - He is more of a SF, but they could use him and this is about where he should go
20.) Raptors - Kyle Anderson - He'd probably fit in here, although they have a great GM and I'm not the best scout
21.) OKC - Adrien Payne - he is ready to play now, they could use him
22.) Grizz - Jerami Grant - one of the more ready to play guys and its a spot of need
23.) Jazz - Kristaps Porzingis - another big would give them some breathing room, he's a good prospect and they like international guys
24.) Hornets (Bobcats) - Shabazz Napier - this seems like a Jordan pick
25.) Rockets - PJ Hairston - BPA

also Spurs take BPA

I like a lot of your board, but T.J. Warren is not at all in the mold of Paul Pierce.

In particular, Pierce was a fantastic passer, and always among the assist leaders for forwards.   He is still a great passer and has always had a great sense of the floor.

Warren is a creative scorer, but he is a terrible facilitator.  He gets completely tunnel-visioned on his own shot and tends to ignore his teammates.

I think he has the raw ability and creativity to eventually become a good player in the NBA, but he is going to need a LOT of maturity in his game before he comes close to being 'in the mold of PP'.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Mine:

1.) Cleveland - I want to say Wiggins, but I really think they'll do something stupid. 
5.) Jazz - They are hardest to judge, since they have Hayward at the 3, Burke at the 1 and Favors at the 4.  Favors only has 1 year remaining, though.  I think that they take Randle here.
6.) Celtics - We're going to take Gordon, although I am hoping we'll take Saric.  Danny scouted Eastern Europe a few weeks ago, but I'm predicting AG.
7.) Lakers - Marcus Smart - They need a PG, he's a solid pick and he will do ok with the LA media
9.) Hornets - Dougy Buckets - they need offense and he had a good combine.  They'll have an interesting offense with him next to Al Jeff and Walker
10.) 76ers - Saric - I think they take him here since Embiid won't be ready for a couple years and they can stash him overseas for a year.  2015 will be another great draft, so they'll probably just tank again
12.) Magic - Zach Lavine - had a great combine, they need a PG in a year, they will have two great prospects at the 1 and 2 with him and Oladipo
14.) Suns - Gary Harris - I hope he falls to us, but they'll probably take him here.  He would have gone a few picks higher if he was a few inches taller
17.) Celtics - TJ Warren - he is in the mold of PP, I think that sways our ownership
18.) Suns - Clint Capela - they like international guys, he has great size and it's not like they need to rush him into the line up
19.) Bulls - Rodney Hood - He is more of a SF, but they could use him and this is about where he should go
20.) Raptors - Kyle Anderson - He'd probably fit in here, although they have a great GM and I'm not the best scout
22.) Grizz - Jerami Grant - one of the more ready to play guys and its a spot of need
23.) Jazz - Kristaps Porzingis - another big would give them some breathing room, he's a good prospect and they like international guys

also Spurs take BPA

I like a lot of your board, but T.J. Warren is not at all in the mold of Paul Pierce.

In particular, Pierce was a fantastic passer, and always among the assist leaders for forwards.   He is still a great passer and has always had a great sense of the floor.

Warren is a creative scorer, but he is a terrible facilitator.  He gets completely tunnel-visioned on his own shot and tends to ignore his teammates.

I think he has the raw ability and creativity to eventually become a good player in the NBA, but he is going to need a LOT of maturity in his game before he comes close to being 'in the mold of PP'.

I think you're spot on, but he's much more intriguing to me than LaVine or Hairston. Especially LaVine. He's going to get murdered in the NBA.

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Mine:

also Spurs take BPA

I agree.

A current Joe Johnson is a better comparison imo. The version today that is not very athletic but still able to score in bunches on you , especially utilizing that floater.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Looks like Cavs are taking Embiid.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10963370/2014-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers-joel-embiid-top-draft-board-no-1-pick-per-sources

No surprises there -- assuming his back holds out he's got too much upside and too high of a floor not to take.

This part of the article was interesting:

A source with direct knowledge told ESPN's Andy Katz that Embiid's agent, Arn Tellem, still is going to decide whether he will send Embiid to Cleveland for a physical or interview. Tellem might try to direct Embiid to a certain franchise and not have him go through a physical or interview for any team but the team he wants Embiid to play for next season.

Now, why did that pop into the story and what does it mean?

Is Tellem trying to leverage his player down to a team that he knows will give him a starting spot immediately?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Favors signed a big extension. I see smart to Utah over randle

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
1.  Cavs:  Dario Saric.  They have been watching his YouTube highlight videos
2.  Bucks: Wiggins.  best player in the draft gives them the wing they need
3.  76ers:  Embiid.  Not a great fit with Noel, but he's too talented to pass up
4.  Magic:  Exum.  Will make a great backcourt with Olapido
5.  Jazz:  Parker.  Match made in heaven, pun intended
6.  Celtics:  Vonleh.  Too much talent to pass up despite Sully and Oly.  Will likely be traded.
7.  Lakers:  Smart.  Gives them a much needed point guard
8.  Kings:  Randle.  Will make a great pairing with Cousins
9.  Hornets:  Gordon. Best player available
10. 76ers:  Stauskus.  A bit of a surprise, but I think he's better than he gets credit for.  He'll play well next to MCW

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
You guys are mistaken. New Orleans doesn't have 9. Charlotte does.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
You guys are mistaken. New Orleans doesn't have 9. Charlotte does.

Did the new Hornets inherit the old Hornets history like the Cleveland Browns did?  It's a concept that makes no sense to me.  The NFL talks about the Ravens as though it is only a 15 year old team.  Does that mean if I change my name, my history is wiped clean?