Author Topic: now we can mock draft, at least  (Read 13295 times)

now we can mock draft, at least
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I've got:

1. Embiid to Cleveland
2. Wiggins to Milwaukee
3. Parker to Philadelphia
4. Exum to Orlando
5. Gordon to Utah
6. Vonleh to Boston
7. Randle to LA
8. Smart to Sacramento
9. McDermott to New Orleans
10. Saric to Philadelphia
11. Stauskas to Denver
12. Nurkic to Orlando
13. Payne to Minnesota
14. Harris to Phoenix
15. Young to Atlanta
16. LaVine to Chicago
17. Hood to Boston

Re: now we can mock draft, at least
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Considering team needs

Cavs - Andrew Wiggins sf/sg -  They won't risk the pick on Embiid and his back issues.  Wiggins will bring in money for Gilbert.   

Bucks - Exum pg/sg - This team can use an upgrade at every position except center and sf.  The bucks could use a legit pg the most, to lead the team to somewhere

76ers - Embiid C - The team has another top 10 pick and will risk it on embiid back issues or not. Embiid and Noel duo could be scary if everything pans out

Magic - Marcus Smart PG - To replace Jameer Nelson as the teams next starting pg.   Good looking backcourt of Oliadipo and Smart

Jazz - Jabari Parker SF/PF - The team actually needs a starting SF. Parker is as offensively skilled as they come.  Jazz could also go with Gordon

Celtics - Aaron Gordon SF/PF  - A multi position defensive player with elite explosiveness.

Lakers - Julius Randle PF - Inside presence is deperately required to work with Kobe.

King -  Zach Lavine PG - Kings really need a pg for next year and i think they will roll the dice and take a risk on Lavine once both exum and smart are gone

Bobcats - Noah Vonleh PF - To pair with Al Jefferson on the inside. Solid pickup

76ers -  KJ Mcdaniel SF/SG - 76ers are crazy about having big time athletes athletes on their team. 

11. Nuggets - James Young
12. Magic - Dario Saric
13. Wolves - Doug Mcdermott
14.  Suns - Nik Stauskus
15.  Hawks - TJ Warren
16. Bulls - Elfrid Payton
17. Celtics - Jusuf Nurkic

Ennis and Harris will drop hard on draft night

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

I think Wiggins goes #1. I expect Milwaukee to go for Parker due to scoring prowess and college performance. I think Philly goes with Exum to pair him together with MCW in the backcourt alongside Noel and Thad Young in the frontcourt.

Orlando more of a toss up but I wouldn't be surprised to see Orlando take Smart over Embiid. (1) Embiid's injury concerns (2) Orlando's need for a new PG (3) they seem to overvalue Vucevic.

No idea what Utah does then at #5. Favors and Kanter already at C. Maybe they try to trade the pick.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
1. Cleveland - Probably Wiggins.  gambled last year with the first pick on Bennett and busted.  will pick the likeliest safest pick in Wiggins.  Gives Kyrie a running mate for a few years to keep him happy (in theory).  eases expected loss of Deng.
2. Milwaukee - Embiid.  they're not going anywhere next year so can take a shot on Embiid developing for a year.  makes Sanders trade bait to fill other holes (potential C's trade for example)
3. Philly - Parker.  last of remaining top 3.  gives them big time scorer they need.
4. Orlando - Exum.  top PG they desperately need.
5. Utah -  Tough call here.  I'm thinking Randle so they can move Kanter or Favors (probably Kanter) to fill other needs.  Other option is Smart. Going with Smart. interesting backcourt with Burke.  thinking this pick is a definite candidate for a trade.
6. Boston - I'd bank on this being used in a trade but if not traded, probably Gordon.  Defensive skills are too much to pass on.  Outside possibility of Vonleh if Danny thinks he can play Center or in a reach Saric.  really think this will be traded though
7. Lakers - another candidate for a trade to make Kobe happy.  assuming no trade, Randle as best offensive player left to complement Kobe for the time being
8. Kings - Vonleh - Kings get the PF they need to go with Cousins
9. NO - Saric.  offers the skills that could really help Davis, Holiday and Eric Gordon make the playoffs
10. Sixers - Got Parker for SF already, take Stauskas as their SG. 
11 Nuggets - Tough call between Mcdermott for his scoring and Nurkic in the hopes they can finally get a center to build with.  go with Mcdermott
12 Magic - Nurkic - backup center that can take a few minutes off the bench to develop into quality big man
13 Wolves - KJ Mcdaniel -- looks like BPA at this point.
14 Suns - Harris - kid looks like he'd fit their style of play pretty well.
15 Hawks - James Young - too good to pass up here
16 Bulls - Porzingas - Bulls get the heir apparent to Noah
17 Celtics - Torn between TJ Warren and Bogdanovic - scorer that does a little of everything but shoot or a shooter that does a little of everything but with a lower (expected) ceiling.  I think Danny takes a shot with Bogdanovic since he already picked up a SF with Gordon and Bogs is a SG. 

just my preliminary guesses

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

I think Wiggins goes #1. I expect Milwaukee to go for Parker due to scoring prowess and college performance. I think Philly goes with Exum to pair him together with MCW in the backcourt alongside Noel and Thad Young in the frontcourt.

Orlando more of a toss up but I wouldn't be surprised to see Orlando take Smart over Embiid. (1) Embiid's injury concerns (2) Orlando's need for a new PG (3) they seem to overvalue Vucevic.

No idea what Utah does then at #5. Favors and Kanter already at C. Maybe they try to trade the pick.

The bucks already have Giannis.  They are in a dire need of a pg.  Exum makes much more sense for them than parker.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Only going to do top 7.

Cavs - Julius Randle. Because.
Bucks - Jabari Parker: Desperately need a scorer, Parker would be that go-to guy they need.
Sixers - Andrew Wiggins: athletic two-way player would be a great compliment to their core. Wiggins-MCW-Noel-Young would be very exciting to watch
Magic - Keep hearing they're in love with Exum and Smart. Could see them make a shocking pick at #4 and pick Exum over Embiid.
Jazz - Joel Embiid: BPA
Celtics - Noah Vonleh: hometown kid. Long, athletic, can stretch the floor. Could be great next to Sullinger
Lakers - Marcus Smart: aggressive tough PG.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Mine:

1.) Cleveland - I want to say Wiggins, but I really think they'll do something stupid. 
2.) Bucks - Parker, they need the offense
3.) 76ers - Embiid - there is no way they pass on him
4.) Magic - Exum - BPA and a position of need, should be a no brainer
5.) Jazz - They are hardest to judge, since they have Hayward at the 3, Burke at the 1 and Favors at the 4.  Favors only has 1 year remaining, though.  I think that they take Randle here.
6.) Celtics - We're going to take Gordon, although I am hoping we'll take Saric.  Danny scouted Eastern Europe a few weeks ago, but I'm predicting AG.
7.) Lakers - Marcus Smart - They need a PG, he's a solid pick and he will do ok with the LA media
8.) Kings - Vonleh - they will play him at PF next to Cousins
9.) Hornets - Dougy Buckets - they need offense and he had a good combine.  They'll have an interesting offense with him next to Al Jeff and Walker
10.) 76ers - Saric - I think they take him here since Embiid won't be ready for a couple years and they can stash him overseas for a year.  2015 will be another great draft, so they'll probably just tank again
11.) Nuggets - Stauskas - they need a shooter and he had a good combine
12.) Magic - Zach Lavine - had a great combine, they need a PG in a year, they will have two great prospects at the 1 and 2 with him and Oladipo
13.) Wolves - Probably KJ McDaniel, they usually make bad picks like this
14.) Suns - Gary Harris - I hope he falls to us, but they'll probably take him here.  He would have gone a few picks higher if he was a few inches taller
15.) Hawks - Tyler Ennis - BPA I think
16.) Bulls - James Young - They need guards and he is a good prospect
17.) Celtics - TJ Warren - he is in the mold of PP, I think that sways our ownership
18.) Suns - Clint Capela - they like international guys, he has great size and it's not like they need to rush him into the line up
19.) Bulls - Rodney Hood - He is more of a SF, but they could use him and this is about where he should go
20.) Raptors - Kyle Anderson - He'd probably fit in here, although they have a great GM and I'm not the best scout
21.) OKC - Adrien Payne - he is ready to play now, they could use him
22.) Grizz - Jerami Grant - one of the more ready to play guys and its a spot of need
23.) Jazz - Kristaps Porzingis - another big would give them some breathing room, he's a good prospect and they like international guys
24.) Hornets (Bobcats) - Shabazz Napier - this seems like a Jordan pick
25.) Rockets - PJ Hairston - BPA

also Spurs take BPA

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

The bucks already have Giannis.  They are in a dire need of a pg.  Exum makes much more sense for them than parker.

Giannis is a 3rd string quality SF. He could become a star, a quality starter, a bench player or be out of the NBA in a few years time.

Milwaukee shouldn't pass on SF due to Giannis. Too much uncertainty with him. Still so raw.

Edit: Besides, even if Giannis does pan out, he is athletic enough to defend multiple positions. They could make them work together anyway.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

So you really think Embiid will fall to the Celtics?

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

Giannis is a 3rd string quality SF. He could become a star, a quality starter, a bench player or be out of the NBA in a few years time.

Milwaukee shouldn't pass on SF due to Giannis. Too much uncertainty with him. Still so raw.

Edit: Besides, even if Giannis does pan out, he is athletic enough to defend multiple positions. They could make them work together anyway.

Can you build around Parker?? no way you can. Especially the way he plays defense. Parker is an offensive weapon at this point and the bucks need someone to help navigate their team in the right direction

They need a pg more than anything.  Exum and Parker are at the same level in terms of talent.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My take:

1. (Cavs) Wiggins
2. (Bucks) Parker
3. (Sixers) Embiid
4. (Magic) Exum
5. (Jazz) Randle
6. (Celtics) Vonleh
7. (Lakers) Smart
8. (Kings) Saric
9. (Bobcats) McDermott
10. (Sixers) Gordon

Gets dicey after that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
If we get some more participation in this, I'll put together statistics and chart our predictions. I encourage you to take it out as far as the Celtics' second pick at #17

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

With his back injury + refusal to release medical info?

Yes. Without being cleared by doctors, there is a real chance Embiid is there at Boston's pick.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

With his back injury + refusal to release medical info?

Yes. Without being cleared by doctors, there is a real chance Embiid is there at Boston's pick.

I can imagine Embiid dodging Cleveland and Milwaukee, but I think he might have to actually shoot himself in the leg to get past Philadelphia. Exum is a huge question mark himself, and the 6ers are probably looking to build around MCW

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
1. Wiggins to Cleveland
2. Parker to Milwaukee
3. Exum to Philadelphia
4. Smart to Orlando

Can you build around Parker?? no way you can. Especially the way he plays defense. Parker is an offensive weapon at this point and the bucks need someone to help navigate their team in the right direction

They need a pg more than anything.  Exum and Parker are at the same level in terms of talent.

Milwaukee needs a go-to scorer. Someone who can put points on the board and draw double teams. Parker does that.

Their offense is a disaster. They need someone they can build around on that end of the floor.

Edit: I prefer Exum over Parker too but I think it'll take a brave team to take Exum over Parker. Milwaukee has new ownership (so they are an unknown) but Milwaukee has been a team that plays it safe in the past and their old GM is still in charge there ... so I think they play it safe and take Parker over Exum. Or if they take a risk, I would say Embiid is more likely than Exum. I don't think Exum goes before 3 or 4. Just my guess.