Author Topic: All those clamouring for Embiid must answer one question  (Read 12426 times)

Re: All those clamouring for Embid must answer one question
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Hakeem played three years in College here we had a chance to see what Hakeem could do. The reason for concern is you do not have enough data on foreign players.

Embiid is more akin to Michael Olowokandi... We have not seen his work product.

Caveat Emptor.

Well I saw Embiid play about 10 times this season, and  I am sure DA and the rest of the C's front office did as well.  He absolutely was a huge force inside for Kansas.  KU  played in one of the toughest conferences in the country so we have seen Embiid go against top competition.

KU really took it to my ISU cyclones and ISU just didn't have an answer for him.  Embiid has great def instincts, is athletic, moves well for a 7 footer, has a nice soft touch, and is a hard worker.  Yes I know taking a big is a crap shoot.  Yes I know his back needs to be checked out and then checked out again, but all that said - If we get a top 3 pick, I don't know how we don't take him.  Your points for why we shouldn't take him because he is from another country don't make any sense.

DA draft Embiid if you can!

Re: All those clamouring for Embiid must answer one question
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we will have him inspected and take him if he is there too providing his back checks out.   Our number one need is rim protector.

The college game has changed.   Hakeem would have left after one year nowadays too.   He would have looked raw.   I am not saying Embiid will be a dominant or pan out to be half the player Hakeem was folks.   But today's game even half his stats would be good.

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not sure what the point of him being foreign means.
The entire reason his footwork is so good for a tall guy is because of the soccer influence like Olajuwon and Dirk.
If anything you could make the argument that because he's straight outta Africa he'll be at the very least a good player, perhaps even a legend.

How has he developed such good basketball footwork in such a small amount of time?
Soccer.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it'd be really funny if you came to the thread and the one question every who wanted Embiid had to answer was like, "I have two hands and I'm right twice a day, even when I'm dead" or something.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I think it'd be really funny if you came to the thread and the one question every who wanted Embiid had to answer was like, "I have two hands and I'm right twice a day, even when I'm dead" or something.
no. the question was not that good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 12:01:44 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
On a scale of one to ten, what is your favorite color of the alphabet?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: All those clamouring for Embid must answer one question
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Hakeem played three years in College here we had a chance to see what Hakeem could do. The reason for concern is you do not have enough data on foreign players.

Embiid is more akin to Michael Olowokandi... We have not seen his work product.

Caveat Emptor.

To my knowledge Embiid has played just as much in American college as Wiggins has.  How does it make any difference which country he was born in?

My question is this.  If you believe that drafting an international player is a bad idea, and you agree that Boston needs a big man / rim protector, which big man would YOU choose instead?

Personally I really like Vonleh, but if Boston lands top 3 in the draft order, it would be kinda hard for me to take Vonleh over Embiid. 

After those two guys, there is really nobody else in the draft who will be a legit impact center.  Nobody.

I do have my concerns about Embiid, but my concerns have nothing to do with his country of origin...and everything to do with his back injury, his lack of experience, and his poor basketball IQ.  Still, if you look at other top prospects none of them is a sure thing:

* Wiggins is very raw and could become another Jeff Green
* Parker is an average athlete and a poor defender who struggles to score against height
* Exum is international and has never played for a US college team
* Randle has a limited offensive skill set, so-so defensive IQ
* Smart lacks a consistent jumper, lacks ball handling skills and is not an elite athlete
* Gordon will likely have zero offensive impact in the league and is a tweener
* Vonleh has limited BBIQ and so-so passing/hands

Nobody in this draft is without fault.  There are guys who will contribute from the get-go but have limited upside (Parker, Randle, Smart) and there are guys who have tons of potential but are a little raw (Embiid, Wiggins, Exum).  Any draft is always a gamble.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

They'll crush your head if you put too much stock in them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
All this said I have to admit...the back injury really does scare me.

I know that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, that all the checks will be done, etc.  Regardless of all of this, even if it all checks out medically, I'd still be scared.

Why?

Because aside from maybe Portland, I cannot think of a single team that has been impacted as much by injuries as Boston has since the big 3 joined in 2008.  I've seen far too many potential championship runs cut short because of major injuries to key players, and being a Boston fan and seeing what they have been gone through (in terms of injuries) in recent times.

Now that Boston has this rare opportunity to take a high lottery pick (doesn't happen often to a successful franchise like Boston) a part of me kinda hopes they take a guy who is a safe bet.  Somebody with the right personality, a good health record, and minimal downside.  Embiid doesn't fit the bill.

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2014, 07:27:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
amazing that anyone wants us to spend a number 6 on a Embiid at this point.