Author Topic: Randle is our pick  (Read 12274 times)

Randle is our pick
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:19:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Just a gut feeling that we're going to end up with Randle, and I'm not disappointed about it. My friends and I debate about who you would want to select with a top 3 pick... and I'd honestly prefer to pick around 5. That clearly speaks to my lack of knowledge about the potential of Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker... but I just trust that Randle's game will translate to the NBA very well. I'd feel most comfortable taking him, and honestly hope we end up around 5 so that it's an easier decision. Any one else feel the same way? (also a fan of Noah Vonleh, fwiw). I honestly just believe in Randle.. he feels like the safest pick.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Randle is our pick
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:11 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I dont want another undersized power forward

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:09 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Randle is just the right height for a Power Forward. I don't want Randle here however since Sullinger and Olynyk are here.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
Measured 6'9 (in shoes) 248 lbs, with a 6'11 wingspan and 8'9.5 reach at the 2013 Nike Hoop Summit

thats undersized in my book

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:55:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Getting Carl Landry 2.0 would be a bit of a disappointment considering the depth we have at PF on this roster already.

If Randle is the BPA in our pick range, I wouldn't be surprised if Ainge looks to move down a few spots (e.g. trade down with SAC, who could use a starting-caliber PF).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:58 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Safest pick to be OK but not great. Actually the scouting report on Randle is that he struggles against defenders with size/length, which doesn't bode well for his NBA career. He likely won't be a bust but his ceiling is lower than some of the other guys.

Also, I'm a little tired of taking these tweeners with no obvious NBA position. It's fine when you have a late pick and some guy has fallen down the draft board (Sullinger, Bradley) but I'd like to think you could find someone in the top 5 who has prototypical size and star potential. Carl Landry was a good comp, but I'm also reminded of college "power forward" Ryan Gomes. You have to posess some other elite ability like shooting, athleticism, or rebounding to get away with being smaller than average for your position.

Of course, all these guys are 19 so it's possible they still have room to grow their games. That being the case, if you're looking for a PF than why not Aaron Gordon? At least he has one elite ability, his athleticism. Anyway, I don't pretend to be a draft expert in the slightest but outside of the top 3 I do admit to wanting a sexier pick than Randle. I also wouldn't mind if the Celtics took Smart or Exum for that reason.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:35:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Also, I'm a little tired of taking these tweeners with no obvious NBA position. It's fine when you have a late pick and some guy has fallen down the draft board (Sullinger, Bradley) but I'd like to think you could find someone in the top 5 who has prototypical size and star potential.

I agree.

I think Aaron Gordon is an example of the kind of "tweener" it might make sense to take a chance on in the top 10, because rather than being "productive despite his size / lack of athleticism," he's actually a freak athlete who can probably produce at either forward position, and he can almost certainly defend multiple positions at the next level.  He just needs to develop some shooting touch, and in general polish his game. 

However, it's reasonable to expect him to do that since he's the youngest player in the draft -- yet he was one of the best players in college this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 07:22:13 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If we can't get. The top three .

Then I think Randle is the right pick. 

He is so young , finding too much bad or good with his game is guessing .at this point.......when he gets exposed to NBA coaches, and players he'll grow up fast.

But we do know the motor and ability is there.

He'll put points on the board .....lots of them

What he seems to have is the right attitude , good parents like Sully and the want to be the best.

He has that Big Al ....go get it attitude.  Blue collar player every team likes .

I d take Embiid for this team. If he falls far enough...we are so desperate for a center .

I think if we pick fifth we should take Randle.  He could replace Sully or KO ...if they are traded for a Center .....

He could be traded himself as part of a pkg to get a star talent guy here,  or for a future draft pick for another special person.

Randle has definite worth.  After him. You are really guessing .     ,    Even though Wiggins and Parker seem better ....Randle is still a short run safer pick ....very little bust about him

If we fall to 6 or 7 pick.......yeah Gordon is ok or Exum maybe  or  Vonleh

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:33:23 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Getting Carl Landry 2.0 would be a bit of a disappointment considering the depth we have at PF on this roster already.

If Randle is the BPA in our pick range, I wouldn't be surprised if Ainge looks to move down a few spots (e.g. trade down with SAC, who could use a starting-caliber PF).

What else would you get in return?

I was thinking Randle could be used to dump Wallace on Utah. And we grab a couple picks in return.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Randle, but man did Ollie play him to perfection last night. He had no room to do anything and his lack of confidence in his jump shot showed.

I'm leaning towards Exum or Gordon.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

I was thinking Randle could be used to dump Wallace on Utah. And we grab a couple picks in return.

What would they need Randle for with Kanter and Favors?

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd take Smart over Randle if we ended up with the 5th pick. Not that I don't think Randle is going to have a solid NBA career, but I think Smart's a better player.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
no tweeners or undersized players!

I like what I've seen from randle. I believe in taking bpa & if he's the bpa then fine I don't mind us drafting him...it's keeping him that i'd be concerned with.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd take Smart over Randle if we ended up with the 5th pick. Not that I don't think Randle is going to have a solid NBA career, but I think Smart's a better player.

Same boat as you.  I think Smart's game will translate well to the NBA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

What would they need Randle for with Kanter and Favors?

Last I checked Kanter wasn't doing too good and Favors was playing like a legit defensive center (and not a PF). They could phase out Kanter by getting Randle, who from what I've heard has enough offense potentially to cover Favors's lack thereof (and vice versa with Favors playing enough D to cover Randle). Might have changed.