Author Topic: Austin Rivers  (Read 13566 times)

Austin Rivers
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

Offline PaulPierceHOF4sure

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Do the celtics have any chance at getting this guy??I just read
here http://basketball.realgm.com/src_feature/1708.. that it could happen if he wanted too.But after searching here i noticed most of you think we dont have a chance at him.The link above says otherwise so can some1 plz explain to me why we cant get him?I'm so excited that i even made an account just to discuss about it.

EDIT: I failed at the link.Just include the 2 dots in the end of the link and its the right one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:54:19 AM by PaulPierceHOF4sure »

Re: Austin Rivers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I expect Austin Rivers to move up the draft board between now and the draft time and end up being a top 10 pick. I'd be very surprised if he stayed in his current project area (late teens, early twenties).

Too talented not to move up as the year goes on.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
if Ainge wants him (and Doc wants him to declare) we can get him, Rivers is struggling this season, he's looking like a chucker and has more turnovers than assists so his stock is falling to the late teens where the Celtics probably pick.

I hope Boston nets a good first (around 15?) for one of the big 3  with its own first at like 17. 2 man combo of Leonard and Rivers would be awesome

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Austin is currently #11 on nbadraft.net!

http://nbadraft.net/

Not dropping.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538
if Ainge wants him (and Doc wants him to declare) we can get him, Rivers is struggling this season, he's looking like a chucker and has more turnovers than assists so his stock is falling to the late teens where the Celtics probably pick.

I hope Boston nets a good first (around 15?) for one of the big 3  with its own first at like 17. 2 man combo of Leonard and Rivers would be awesome

I've said this before, but I would not have wanted to be coached by (or have worked for) my father, and the dynamics would have been ugly.  Now, every parent-child relationship is different, but what makes you think an Austin-Doc combo is necessarily a good idea (or even something Doc and Austin want)?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
here http://basketball.realgm.com/src_feature/1708.. that it could happen if he wanted too.But after searching here i noticed most of you think we dont have a chance at him.The link above says otherwise so can some1 plz explain to me why we cant get him?I'm so excited that i even made an account just to discuss about it.

The celtics definetly have a very good chance at austin. The only thing is, whether they would decide to take him or not,
depending on where they are in the draft. I think, contrary to some beliefs, Austin is going to be a big scorer in the league, but I also think Brad Beal could be a poor man's Ray Allen. So while I think the Celtics could definetly end up with an oppurtunity to draft him, there are other players they will consider. I would also like th see him play more defense.
p.s. Im one of these guys who is a draft fiend 6 months before it even happens so im right there with ya with the excitement.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Good talent but [dang] his usage rate has to be among the highest in college basketball.  He dribbles the hell out of the ball and really doesnt get his teammates involved.  I dont like that at all...especially coming from a program that historically has excellent team play

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Austin is currently #11 on nbadraft.net!

http://nbadraft.net/

Not dropping.
Im not deadset on draftin austin so what im bout to say is not wishful thinking, but... all of these draft sites have him pegged at completely different spots. ESPN has him at 15, draft express has him at 21, etc.. There is no way to say "hes not dropping". He could bomb the rest of the year, or he could have an incredible tournament. Or he could go right where hes projected to- around 15. I think its fair to say he will go anywhere from 11-18.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
^Check out his ranking on the big board. 21st on nbadraft, 21st on  draft express. He's #17 on their draft.
I expect Austin Rivers to move up the draft board between now and the draft time and end up being a top 10 pick. I'd be very surprised if he stayed in his current project area (late teens, early twenties).

Too talented not to move up as the year goes on.
Unless he goes Kemba mode in the tourney or 3-4 players ahead of him return to school I seriously doubt he's going top 10.

I think he can be a good player in the NBA, especially under the right coaching (Doc never plays rookies! ;D) but there are a lot of questions regarding him right now that will have him fall in the teens.

His defense is suspect in college, in the NBA he's going defending bigger 2's. He's also reportedly lazy on D

He has had poor shot selection, shooting 44% from the floor

Undersized and a little weak for the ideal 2 spot. Doesn't have the court vision or passing ability to play  PG

Struggling from the FT line (big surprise since this guy can hit a 3, mid range jumper, finish in the paint)

ball dominant, although in the celtics case Rondo would fix that

He's a great fit in Boston imo, but for other teams ahead of us I'm not sure if he's the ideal player to look for. A bit like Marshon last year except Rivers has the higher ceiling being only 19.
I mean look at the teams ahead of us right now,
Charlotte has Kemba a ball dominating guard already
Milwauke has Jennings who's like Rivers, they're better off with Beal
 (assuming we stay at 17) From 10, New Orleans has Gordon, they need a forward
Toronto has Derozan they need a pg
Memphis, I could buy taking Rivers but hopefully they finish with a worse record
Dallas, again probably finishes better than than 13 and they have a hole at pretty much everything not PF (although D-Will+Howard coming could change that)
Houston-Has K-Mart, needs a big
Cleveland-probably could, but needs to add size and probably takes a terrence jones type
SG could be pretty deep this year with both Lambs, Rivers, Beal, Wroten, Ross, Jenkins, Buford. I think Jeremy is the top 2 for sure, but after that it's a toss up.

Regardless Rivers fits perfectly in Boston

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I consider Austin Rivers to be a high level prospect at the point guard position in the mold of a Chauncey Billups. And like Billups, I think he'll take some time to find his place in the NBA while he learns the ins and outs of the position. Whoever drafts him will need to be patient and take a long term approach to his development.

As a two guard, I think he is a low level prospect similar to an OJ Mayo. Too small to play the position in the NBA and will be a liability as a defender/rebounder. Like Mayo, it doesn't look like he'll bring in enough offense to make up for the negatives he brings to the table on the other end of the court.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »

Offline PaulPierceHOF4sure

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
The link i posted is wrong.real link is : (include the 2 dots at the end) http://basketball.realgm.com/src_feature/1708..
It doesnt include them in my first post

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I consider Austin Rivers to be a high level prospect at the point guard position in the mold of a Chauncey Billups. And like Billups, I think he'll take some time to find his place in the NBA while he learns the ins and outs of the position. Whoever drafts him will need to be patient and take a long term approach to his development.

As a two guard, I think he is a low level prospect similar to an OJ Mayo. Too small to play the position in the NBA and will be a liability as a defender/rebounder. Like Mayo, it doesn't look like he'll bring in enough offense to make up for the negatives he brings to the table on the other end of the court.

I dont see him playing point in this league.  He just hasnt shown any real court vision as far as passing.  He's always looking for his own.  It would be difficult for him to re-learn the way he plays the game while he's competing against the best in the world

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett

The celtics definetly have a very good chance at austin. The only thing is, whether they would decide to take him or not,
depending on where they are in the draft. I think, contrary to some beliefs, Austin is going to be a big scorer in the league, but I also think Brad Beal could be a poor man's Ray Allen. So while I think the Celtics could definetly end up with an oppurtunity to draft him, there are other players they will consider. I would also like th see him play more defense.
p.s. Im one of these guys who is a draft fiend 6 months before it even happens so im right there with ya with the excitement.
Austin will be a scorer, that's for certain. It's the only reason he was so hyped up, he's a 2, maybe even 3 way scorer and if he can hit his FT's at 80% rate IMO he can come in right away and be a 20 point scorer.

Beal is the better shooter, and the better passer, and the better defender. Most boards have Beal over Rivers right now and he's got a much more complete game. That being said Rivers is the better scorer and certainly can improve his passsing/D.

I've said this before, but I would not have wanted to be coached by (or have worked for) my father, and the dynamics would have been ugly.  Now, every parent-child relationship is different, but what makes you think an Austin-Doc combo is necessarily a good idea (or even something Doc and Austin want)?

Good points, and there could be tension in the young locker room (especially if Rondo is the drama queen the media makes him out to be) but you can also look at it as motivation. I think Rivers respects his father more than any man in the planet since he's the reason Austin is even close to the NBA. Doc could get the most out of his son than any other coach but he could also damage his career by playing nice and letting him do whatever he wants.

If I was Ainge/WYC, and Austin was drafted I'd have Doc coach  for one more year  to see how he can develop the team. At the very least, it would be an interesting storyline for the season.  After that, I'd probably ask him to resign  and find a new head coach  (more uptempo system) and Doc could stick around as  a minor coach to work with his team and be around his son.  

I actually disagree completely with this. Rivers is much better off at the 2, he's wayyyyyyy tooo  ball dominant and shoot first to be a successful PG. I'm thinking Brandon Jennings if he stays a point guard

At the 2, (in boston with Rondo and crew) his ceiling can be much higher. He could have the same potential as Mayo did coming out, but I'm certain he'll have a better career than Mayo has had so far. His offensive game is more complete than OJ. Both had good range, but Rivers can penetrate and go the hoop better than OJ ever could. People thought Mayo would be a very good defender coming out of college actually. Rivers isn' bad on D, he's like Rondo though in that he tries to gamble by going through the passing lanes, you can't have both your guards work like that

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Not a point....shoot first mentality....out of control too much

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
Not a point....shoot first mentality....out of control too much
Of course there's going to be cons for every draftee outside the top 3, what about his ability to shoot the 3, penetrate to the basket, pull up mid range J, extremely athletic, great quickness, long wingspan, good ball handling skills for a 2, high BBIQ and intangibles etc

You're complaining about someone who isn't afraid to take a shot?  are you kidding me? Celtics have Rondo to take care of him and Doc preaches ball movement and defense. He'll do fine here
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:21:48 PM by FearTheBeard »