Author Topic: Tyler Hansbrough in Green  (Read 15235 times)

Tyler Hansbrough in Green
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I'm trying to get my mind off of injuries and potentially frightenting lineups in the next week or so. What do you guys think of Tyler Hansbrough possibly falling to the late first round pick of the C's? It would be nice to have a tough guy with a shooting touch on the roster from the beginning of camp rather than waiting until February. Thoughts?

Re: Tyler Hansbrough in Green
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:04:40 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I doubt Hansborough falls later than 16-20.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'd love him in Green. Psycho T would be perfect here.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The C's don't have a first round pick this year.  So they would have to trade for one.  It might be a possibility though, if the C's figure a guy like Hansborough would be cheaper than resigning Powe or Davis, and could give similar production.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm trying to get my mind off of injuries and potentially frightenting lineups in the next week or so. What do you guys think of Tyler Hansbrough possibly falling to the late first round pick of the C's? It would be nice to have a tough guy with a shooting touch on the roster from the beginning of camp rather than waiting until February. Thoughts?
I would love to have Hansbrough here.  I think he would thrive as a Celtic and the fans would love him.  If we were to get him though, he would be our fourth undersized, hustle-type power forward behind Baby, Powe, and Scal.  He would never see the court with us.  

When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
This draft is very weak, I think he's going to be a lottery pick.  No way he ends up a Celtic, next year anyways.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:15 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
The C's don't have a first round pick this year.  So they would have to trade for one.  It might be a possibility though, if the C's figure a guy like Hansborough would be cheaper than resigning Powe or Davis, and could give similar production.

That is actually not a bad idea if the C's were looking to save money.  he could give similar type hustle play that Powe and Baby give.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
I doubt Hansborough falls later than 16-20.

Chad Ford from ESPN has him late first to early second round. He's no Mel Kiper (tongue in cheek) but he has a pretty good pulse on the draft. Of course, Tyler will spend the next month on the biggest of stages showcasing his talent so if UNC makes a deep run and he performs well, you may be right.

Edit: Link

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2009

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

I'm sorry I did't realize. Can anyone refresh me with the trade where we lost this?

Maybe someone will take JR Giddens for a first round pick. I mean, we took him in the first round so it would be fair. I don't think the Celts have explored that option.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm sorry I did't realize. Can anyone refresh me with the trade where we lost this?

The trade with KG.  We gave up this year's first, plus another conditional first that Minnesota owed us as part of the Ricky / Wally deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
With teams cutting $ - I wonder if the C's will be in a position to buy a pick in the 20-30 range. I think Hansbrough should be available then, but don't think he will be. On the other hand, I don't have great hopes for his future in the pros either.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Not a bad idea.
Minnesota, OKC, Memphis, Sacto all have multiple 1st round picks.
That said, Cs are in win-now mode, and I think Powe and BBD help more than Hansborough could at this point...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Maybe someone will take JR Giddens for a first round pick. I mean, we took him in the first round so it would be fair. I don't think the Celts have explored that option.

Danny has been reportedly been trying to do that all year with no takers.  I think the way the C's would be getting a first round pick is buy buying it from another team, either for straight cash, or by taking on a contract they want to get rid of.

With such a weak draft, and such bad financial times, there will probably be a lot of picks up for auction.  The only question is whether the C's (who may not be in great financial shape themselves) would be willing to put up the money.  This is why it would have to do with Powe and Davis.  If say, Powe was looking for a 4 year, $15 million deal, and they could get Hansborough for something like $3 million up front to buy the pick, and then a late first round contract, they might decide to do that.

Of course that all depends on whether Hansborough is available.  Personally I think he will fall to somewhere between 18 and 30.  I actually think it being such a weak draft works against him.  A lot of times in weak drafts teams are more likely to take a young, very raw, upside guy than an older, more proven player with questionable pro skills.  It's a weird phenomenon, but it definitely can happen in drafts like this.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Not a bad idea.
Minnesota, OKC, Memphis, Sacto all have multiple 1st round picks.
That said, Cs are in win-now mode, and I think Powe and BBD help more than Hansborough could at this point...

Oh, they absolutely do.  But they both are up for contracts next year, and if they are asking for a good sized deal (which of course would double since the C's are over the luxury tax), then the C's may choose to add some depth through the draft, and then maybe upgrade with a veteran FA using the MLE.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

The trade with KG.  We gave up this year's first, plus another conditional first that Minnesota owed us as part of the Ricky / Wally deal.

Thanks Roy. Fairly minor trade. Easily overlooked.