Author Topic: Remember the old days...  (Read 3753 times)

Remember the old days...
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
... when doing this a thousand times a day was the highlight of our Celtics fandom?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2009/mockdraft?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

How many times could we get Oden or Durant in a row? What a big tease that turned out to be.

On a related note, I have run this simulation 10 times, and not once have the Celtics ended up with Blake Griffin  ;)
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Remember the old days...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
TP, I miss those days  ::)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
speaking of the draft, i was looking at highlights from all the big names in the draft. Ricky Rubio like doesn't even just on his jump shot, granted his passing and finishing is great, but it seems like he won't be able to get his shot off over nate robinson.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:26 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
That's ironic, I saw the new trade machine up earlier tonight and I thought the same thing.  For about 1/2 second I was excited, then I remember... the Celtics don't need to worry about that.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Oden and Durant period wasn't really that bad. Watching youtube videos of Yi dribbling a chair, that will be a lasting memory... :-\

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:03:20 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
The Oden and Durant period wasn't really that bad. Watching youtube videos of Yi dribbling a chair, that will be a lasting memory... :-\

Or thinking that if Yi wasn't available at #5, we could convince ourselves that Corey Brewer was gonna be a lockdown defender and future all-star.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:52:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You know what is a really lasting memory? The first time any team that I've rooted for passionately got to do this:

I still look the poster on my wall, smile, and go through the playoff run again in my head.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i remember the oden/durant days.....and it sucked! :D

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
The old days? When I threw a party whenever we won a game? Yeah.. real fun.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Durant's playing pretty well right now actually... Wouldn't have minded if we traded Pierce for CP3, drafted Roy and kept Jefferson.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Durant's playing pretty well right now actually... Wouldn't have minded if we traded Pierce for CP3, drafted Roy and kept Jefferson.
Yeah Pierce for CP3 would have been interesting. But that changes so much about the team that its hard to see what would happen next.

I'm happy with where we are. To go from rooting for losses for draft position to a banner is just amazing.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:35:40 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I think given how things have turned out, I would mind. Granted, we'd be a younger team with a better chance at multiple titles,  but it would change the character of this team. We wouldn't be the same Boston Celtics that we are now, with our passionate commitment to defense and intense demeanor. We'd also probably not have banner 17 right now, because Jefferson isn't a great defender in the post, and Perk only really became a superior defender when KG showed up. In a league that requires you to play defense to win a ring, a low post presence is important. Its no coincidence that the team that has won the banner every year for the past several years has been an excellent defense team. Boston, San Antonio, Detroit.... all in the top 10 defensively. So I think I would mind, and while the CP3, Jefferson and Roy trio would be fun to watch, we wouldn't be as great a team as we are now.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.