Author Topic: Tyler Hansbrough  (Read 8885 times)

Re: Tyler Hansbrough
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
I like the Powe comparison, minus a little bit of athleticism and plus a little bit of range.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I like the Powe comparison, minus a little bit of athleticism and plus a little bit of range.

Although the energy level is similar, I think the advanced skill-level of Hansborough, as well as lack of athleticism compared to Powe really don't make them a great comparison.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Although the energy level is similar, I think the advanced skill-level of Hansborough, as well as lack of athleticism compared to Powe really don't make them a great comparison.

Powe averaged 20 and 10 his final year. Hansborough averaged 20 and 10 last year and currently is at 22 and 7 which he will likely end up right about last years pace. How is it that Tyler has an advanced skill level?! I live here in the UNC/Duke hotspot and see a LOT of him. He may have a little better shooting range, but is not really a shooter either. I don't think he is any more skilled than Powe, however I agree that Powe has better athleticism. He has a very quick footwork where Hansborough is quite slow footed. I love his heart though and would love him on my team! He finds a way in spite of his deficiencies just like Powe.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Powe averaged 20 and 10 his final year. Hansborough averaged 20 and 10 last year and currently is at 22 and 7 which he will likely end up right about last years pace. How is it that Tyler has an advanced skill level?! I live here in the UNC/Duke hotspot and see a LOT of him. He may have a little better shooting range, but is not really a shooter either. I don't think he is any more skilled than Powe, however I agree that Powe has better athleticism. He has a very quick footwork where Hansborough is quite slow footed. I love his heart though and would love him on my team! He finds a way in spite of his deficiencies just like Powe.
Tyler is putting those numbers in 8 minutes less per game this season.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yes, however in those 8 less minutes he is taking about as many shots and free throws as Powe was during his time. UNC is also a lot better team with a much better PG in Lawson to get him the ball in better places. I think the point though was that Powe's skill level IMO is as high as Hansborough's.

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yes, however in those 8 less minutes he is taking about as many shots and free throws as Powe was during his time. UNC is also a lot better team with a much better PG in Lawson to get him the ball in better places. I think the point though was that Powe's skill level IMO is as high as Hansborough's.

He is a better shooter, ballhandler, and passer, and also has much more advanced footwork (perhaps Hansborough is slower, but his footwork is tremendous, while Powe's was, and still is a work in progress)than Powe was at this point in his career. 

In college, Powe was a hell of a player, but he was purely a power player, who used his strength, quickness and athleticism to get where he wanted.  Hansbrough doesn't have that kind of strength and athletism, and instead has to use his other skills. 

Productionwise, I agree that they are good comparisons, I just think their actual skillsets are not that similar.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 03:19:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He is a better shooter, ballhandler, and passer, and also has much more advanced footwork (perhaps Hansborough is slower, but his footwork is tremendous, while Powe's was, and still is a work in progress)than Powe was at this point in his career. 

In college, Powe was a hell of a player, but he was purely a power player, who used his strength, quickness and athleticism to get where he wanted.  Hansbrough doesn't have that kind of strength and athletism, and instead has to use his other skills. 

Productionwise, I agree that they are good comparisons, I just think their actual skillsets are not that similar.

I've gotta disagree with that - Hansborough is an exceptionally strong player, though he doesn't have the obvious muscularity of Powe.  Whether that holds up against NBA-sized players is an open debate, but he is physically dominant in college largely because his strength works so well with his energy, nose for contact and soft inside shooting touch.  Athletically I agree that he is not in Powe's league, and will be below-average for an NBA guy.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

Offline DimpusBurger

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
He may not be a star but it's hard to believe that there are supposed to be 20 ppl in this draft that will be better than him (according to the mock drafts). 

He seems like a sure bet to stick in the league.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Hansbrough to me is another Leon Powe, with perhaps slightly more ability... but that may not even be the case, given that Powe himself had a fantastic collegiate career. He was the best pac 10 player for a few years no? And was dropped to 2nd round status due to injuries in college?

I think Hansbrough will provide beef as an overall very solid player off the bench for a good team. He hustles too which means he isn't going to bust out of the league for having skills but no work ethic, as we've seen with cases like Patrick O'Bryant.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I've gotta disagree with that - Hansborough is an exceptionally strong player, though he doesn't have the obvious muscularity of Powe.  Whether that holds up against NBA-sized players is an open debate, but he is physically dominant in college largely because his strength works so well with his energy, nose for contact and soft inside shooting touch.  Athletically I agree that he is not in Powe's league, and will be below-average for an NBA guy.

I echo that as well. The thing I love about Hansborough is his ability to physically overpower guys. That's actually the area I think he is so similar to Powe in. If he wasn't that strong I don't think he would be more than a solid college player. I am not that impressed with his ballhandling. He isn't very good in that regard quite honestly. His footwork is good. I really love Hansborough and his toughness, I just don't see that much skill vs. sheer hustle and heart. That is why I think he is a bench energizer at best in the NBA. We shall find out though! Nice thoughts guys.

Speaking of overpowering, how about that dunk by Powe last night? Poster time!

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
if he drops to the end of the first round and the celtics can get pick, sure take him.

small point, but on the video i didnt see him take a single shot with his left hand. in the pros he will need to learn to shoot with either hand from under the basket.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva