Poll

Where do you rank D-Wade among the top SG's of all time?

best SG of all time
1 (2.3%)
top 2
0 (0%)
top 3
1 (2.3%)
top 4
6 (13.6%)
top 5
12 (27.3%)
top 6
2 (4.5%)
top 7
1 (2.3%)
top 8
1 (2.3%)
top 9
0 (0%)
top 10
8 (18.2%)
outside of the top 10
12 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Poll: Where do you rank D-Wade among the top SG's of all time?  (Read 4024 times)

Re: Poll: Where do you rank D-Wade among the top SG's of all time?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 03:12:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So this thread has gone exactly how I knew it would. A bunch of bitter, petty Celtics fans not giving Wade his due respect.

Wade in his prime was easily better than any SG not named Jordan. Kobe gets the edge for longevity and health, but outside of him no other SG named in this thread has any business being placed above Wade.

I do think it's possible when all is said and done that Harden may end up passing Wade, though. But he isn't there yet.

What makes anyone here bitter or petty, the fact that they aren’t completely overvaluing a guy who benefitted from superior teammates for his noteworthy success?

Never won an MVP. I guess a Finals MVP, scoring title, and two 1st-team All-NBA nods makes you the second-best SG of all-time?

Okayyy. I’d rather be bitter and petty than delusional.

I’m his era alone, at best I’d put him 3rd behind Kobe and Harden (he’s been far more spectacular already, and clearly better in pretty much every facet offensively). He’s already got 4 seasons of higher WS than Wade’s best season. His prime is unquestionably better. Don’t go off longevity for Wade vs Harden but dismiss it for Wade vs Kobe.
Agree entirely. Plus, James Harden's Houston career is already has already almost equaled Wade's pre-Big3 career in terms of games, and in terms of individual play I think it's eclipsed it. Better and more efficient scorer. Generates free throws more and hits them at a higher rate. Better passer and rebounder.

Statistically it isn't even close.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:16 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am not a fan of recency bias, but these 2 last games from Wade (30 pts, then TD) made me think that he could be the best shooting guard of all time.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 06:45:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
So this thread has gone exactly how I knew it would. A bunch of bitter, petty Celtics fans not giving Wade his due respect.

Wade in his prime was easily better than any SG not named Jordan. Kobe gets the edge for longevity and health, but outside of him no other SG named in this thread has any business being placed above Wade.

I do think it's possible when all is said and done that Harden may end up passing Wade, though. But he isn't there yet.

What makes anyone here bitter or petty, the fact that they aren’t completely overvaluing a guy who benefitted from superior teammates for his noteworthy success?

Never won an MVP. I guess a Finals MVP, scoring title, and two 1st-team All-NBA nods makes you the second-best SG of all-time?

Okayyy. I’d rather be bitter and petty than delusional.

I’m his era alone, at best I’d put him 3rd behind Kobe and Harden (he’s been far more spectacular already, and clearly better in pretty much every facet offensively). He’s already got 4 seasons of higher WS than Wade’s best season. His prime is unquestionably better. Don’t go off longevity for Wade vs Harden but dismiss it for Wade vs Kobe.
Agree entirely. Plus, James Harden's Houston career is already has already almost equaled Wade's pre-Big3 career in terms of games, and in terms of individual play I think it's eclipsed it. Better and more efficient scorer. Generates free throws more and hits them at a higher rate. Better passer and rebounder.

Statistically it isn't even close.

The game has changed way too much to compare their stats without providing context.  Wade's best years took place in a completely different NBA.  Harden has also made a career out of destroying teams during the regular season.  His playoff track record is full inconsistencies and blemishes.  Wade wins on intangibles without question.  How about defense?  Do we trust Harden to make a big play in the final two minutes that doesn't involve scoring? 

I'll give you Harden if we are eliminating the playoffs from the discussion.  Wade at his peak still wins the argument when factoring in the playoffs.  The discrepancy in advanced playoff stats is much closer than you would assume, even if we only look at Wade's pre-LeBron numbers.  I want to see how Harden's career finishes before putting him ahead of Wade.  He needs a signature playoff series or two at some point.

Let's just remember that we have been seeing some ridiculous statistical feats across the league over the past few years.  Guys like Vince Carter and Jamal Crawford have admitted that they wouldn't have lasted as long if the rules hadn't changed. 

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jerry West has more career points than Dwyane Wade despite playing in an era without the 3 point shot.  West finished 2nd in MVP voting 4 times, 3rd once, and 5th 3 separate times (he also had a 6th and 12th).  So that is 8 seasons where he was a top 5 player in the sport (Wade has 2 top 5 finishes).  Jerry West was so good on a losing team in the Finals that he was named the Finals MVP.  The All Defensive Teams weren't created until the 68-69 season, despite being 30 and 9 years into his career, West made an All Defensive Team for the next 5 seasons (including 4 1st Teams).  It would have been expected that West would have made those teams during his best years pre-dating the creation of the team.  West also had 10 1st Team All NBA and 2 2nd Teams (they didn't have a 3rd team back then).  All of those All League Teams far exceed what Wade did (yes even defense, despite it not being around). 

It seems to me that you are the one that doesn't have the appropriate appreciation of the sport or its history because the simple truth is Jerry West was a better player and had a better career than Wade.  It really isn't a question.  West was just flat out better.

I'd agree with this. 

West seems to be getting slept on in this thread.   His accomplishments are no joke.  I don't care if it was in the 60s/early 70s.   He is one of the all time greats.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Jerry West has more career points than Dwyane Wade despite playing in an era without the 3 point shot.  West finished 2nd in MVP voting 4 times, 3rd once, and 5th 3 separate times (he also had a 6th and 12th).  So that is 8 seasons where he was a top 5 player in the sport (Wade has 2 top 5 finishes).  Jerry West was so good on a losing team in the Finals that he was named the Finals MVP.  The All Defensive Teams weren't created until the 68-69 season, despite being 30 and 9 years into his career, West made an All Defensive Team for the next 5 seasons (including 4 1st Teams).  It would have been expected that West would have made those teams during his best years pre-dating the creation of the team.  West also had 10 1st Team All NBA and 2 2nd Teams (they didn't have a 3rd team back then).  All of those All League Teams far exceed what Wade did (yes even defense, despite it not being around). 

It seems to me that you are the one that doesn't have the appropriate appreciation of the sport or its history because the simple truth is Jerry West was a better player and had a better career than Wade.  It really isn't a question.  West was just flat out better.

I'd agree with this. 

West seems to be getting slept on in this thread.   His accomplishments are no joke.  I don't care if it was in the 60s/early 70s.   He is one of the all time greats.
I introduced him to this thread in its 3rd post.
I think that he played too early too be recognized as such by the general, often younger public. The gap between him and Wade is the gap from the atomic and information era.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'll take John Havlicek over Wade ANYDAY.

I went with top 10.

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2019, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've got him solidly behind MJ, Jerry West, and Kobe and definitely above Ray Allen and Reggie Miller.

He's in the middle with Iverson and Drexler and I think I put Wade ahead of those two. So #4.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008