Author Topic: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston  (Read 22613 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Want to add that if this deal is being completed before July 1st, Houston is not sending out enough salary by a few million.

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Windhorst said that Houston is now trying to get Paul George for Eric Gordon plus.
So itd be eric gordon plus 2-3 low first round picks.

Crowder/Bradley LAL pick blows that away any day.

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Why do I feel like in the end Boston misses out on both Hayward, Griffin and PG and is left with just the picks they have acquired?

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Good deal for both sides because
Houston:  Impressive work to get a player of that caliber for so little.  You basically can't turn that down.
LAC:  Was probably going to lose him for nothing anyways.

Deal is kind of a head scratcher though, because:
Could LAC have gotten more in return?  Would NYC not have given up a better asset like Hernangomez to acquire CP3 now that Phil is out?  CP3, Lee, Melo, Zingis, Noah/another C is a really good starting 5 with some flexibility to go small with Zingis at the 5 and Melo at 4.

Is Chris Paul really a good fit in Houston?  I think he's going to make Harden (who doesn't move off the ball) less effective and CP3 will naturally slow down Houston's offense, where they thrived when playing fast last season.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Paul agrees to sign with Houston 3 days before the free agency window opens? I thought teams couldn't engage in conversations with players until July 1

Wonder if the Clips will file tampering charges
He's not signing with them, he's being traded to them.

He's being traded because he had warned them he was signing with Houston.

I've always thought about the tampering issue. You can't talk to FAs until Saturday.

Chris Paul can decide that he wants to sign with Houston without Houston tampering.  It's a bit of a sticky situation, but it's possible he never talked with them.

I have a hard time seeing the head of the Player's Union getting involved with tampering.  Seems like a good way to lose your position/hurt the Union
I'm bitter.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Windhorst said that Houston is now trying to get Paul George for Eric Gordon plus.

LA pick not on table per Bulpett

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

What assets do they possibly have to get him? Gordon is a pretty good asset, but AB+Jae alone would beat him.  We'd have plenty of late firsts to throw in, too.  It's nice for them to hope, but it will be fruitless
I'm bitter.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Yeah the fit of cp3 with harden has me scratching my head.  Harden has been so good because he is ball dominant...

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Why do I feel like in the end Boston misses out on both Hayward, Griffin and PG and is left with just the picks they have acquired?

It's a distinct possibility.  Which means that Boston would have a team that just reached the conference finals, with a core in their 20s, and oodles of top picks to add to the roster.  That's your worst-case scenario.

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Heard on ESPN that Clippers plan to try and get Paul George. With newly acquired assets?

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

LA pick not on table per Bulpett

Probably going to have to be

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Heard on ESPN that Clippers plan to try and get Paul George. With newly acquired assets?

I was asking about that earlier in this thread.  I wondered if doc and the clippers are going to make a run at pg13.  If Blake and DJ stay, why wouldn't they go after George?

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

What assets do they possibly have to get him? Gordon is a pretty good asset, but AB+Jae alone would beat him.  We'd have plenty of late firsts to throw in, too.  It's nice for them to hope, but it will be fruitless

I'd assume Gordon+Harrell+2020 and 2022 1sts, and maybe a pick swap.

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Good deal for both sides because
Houston:  Impressive work to get a player of that caliber for so little.  You basically can't turn that down.
LAC:  Was probably going to lose him for nothing anyways.

Deal is kind of a head scratcher though, because:
Could LAC have gotten more in return? Would NYC not have given up a better asset like Hernangomez to acquire CP3 now that Phil is out?  CP3, Lee, Melo, Zingis, Noah/another C is a really good starting 5 with some flexibility to go small with Zingis at the 5 and Melo at 4.

Is Chris Paul really a good fit in Houston?  I think he's going to make Harden (who doesn't move off the ball) less effective and CP3 will naturally slow down Houston's offense, where they thrived when playing fast last season.

To the bolded part: No.

If Chris Paul didn't agree to pick up his player option, he would have become a free agent on Saturday. He stood to make more money in FA and reportedly wanted to go to Houston anyway.  The team couldn't have dealt him to any team unless he agreed to it, and there's no way he would have agreed to go to the Knicks instead of Houston
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So Paul George has been linked to Boston, LA, LA, Houston Cleveland...Am I missing anyone?