Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention  (Read 31069 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

Amendment #4: FAILED for lack of quorum 7-5-2 (2-day rookie draft)

How embarrassing. I proposed the amendment then sank it by failing to vote. Counter argument from GC left me torn and the deadline slipped passed me. Apologies to those I lead astray.

I also wanted to circle back around to my proposed amendment to replace the active Utility spot with an international prospect/IR spot. I believe it was seconded?

Y! 2015 FBB is open!!! They have a couple of interesting changes:

I.L. roster spot - New for 2015-16. We have added a roster spot for inactive or injured players.

Yahoo's introduction of an IR spot makes administration far easier and my proposal on the whole far more plausible. Players would or wouldn't be IR eligible at Yahoo's discretion, alternately a manager could forgo using the IR spot and dedicate the roster space to an international prospect, much as we do now via an empty active bench spot.

Somewhat minimizes the damage long term injuries can do during the regular season, buoys the value of international prospects, and forces more "coaching" decisions by reducing starting line ups by one spot, all without furthering draining the shallow F.A. pool.

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Can't do a more nuanced quote on my phone but here's the results:

Amendment #2: PASSED 13-0-2 (draft moved to mid-Aug next yr)

Amendment #3: PASSED 12-3-0 (incr playoff moves to 2/wk)

I'll post pics of the votes after kayaking w my wife for her bday.

I propose removing the commissioner from his duties.  Putting his wife's bday ahead of his duties here shows a flagrant lack of respect for not just his duties but also all of us.

Dude. You only get one wife.

Meanwhile, there are 19 of us here. That's just simple math. I think I speak for all of us when I express how disappointed I am in GC.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 08:24:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I also wanted to circle back around to my proposed amendment to replace the active Utility spot with an international prospect/IR spot. I believe it was seconded?

I kinda farted around it talking about a similar old idea of mine, but if we need a formal second I'll second it, on the condition that you have to write it.  Or GC.  Just not me.   :)

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

How embarrassing. I proposed the amendment then sank it by failing to vote. Counter argument from GC left me torn and the deadline slipped passed me. Apologies to those I lead astray.

And I may have actually talked myself into it --- let's chew it over in-season maybe.

The ideal thing might be something like this (days of the week chosen just as example):

Round 1: Tues. 12:30 - 4:00pm
Round 2: Wed. 8:00 - 10:00pm

Pro: Splitting the draft across 2 days could allow teams who can't make a day draft to trade back into the 2nd round and vice versa?

Con: Teams submitting lists for say pick #22 (on 2nd day; only have to submit 2 names) would have an advantage over teams submitting lists for pick #20 (on 1st day; would have to submit 20 names.)

Con #2: I still worry that we'd have less total participation if the draft were split --- though i'd like to think that -- as you mentioned originally -- we'd have more. We'll see how the Sun. evening draft goes this year.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 09:47:53 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Y! 2015 FBB is open!!! They have a couple of interesting changes:

I.L. roster spot - New for 2015-16. We have added a roster spot for inactive or injured players.

Yahoo's introduction of an IR spot makes administration far easier and my proposal on the whole far more plausible. Players would or wouldn't be IR eligible at Yahoo's discretion, alternately a manager could forgo using the IR spot and dedicate the roster space to an international prospect, much as we do now via an empty active bench spot.

Somewhat minimizes the damage long term injuries can do during the regular season, buoys the value of international prospects, and forces more "coaching" decisions by reducing starting line ups by one spot, all without furthering draining the shallow F.A. pool.

I kinda farted around it talking about a similar old idea of mine, but if we need a formal second I'll second it, on the condition that you have to write it.  Or GC.  Just not me.   :)

Here's what I'd propose:

I'd like to see what the new Yahoo! IR spot looks like and how it'll work (will try and set up the league this weekend).... there's not much other than the teaser.

There was a good amount of discussion generally about an inactive/injured spot, but not a concrete proposal that got seconded.

As I mentioned, after the draft we can revisit this and other ideas (I will formally resubmit the waiting period for new GMs on trading 1st rounders or top 50 guys) and then carry the voting out on Yahoo in mid-Oct just before cut-down day.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Dude. You only get one wife.

Meanwhile, there are 19 of us here. That's just simple math. I think I speak for all of us when I express how disappointed I am in GC.

Seriously though, kayaking?  That has to be up there with when I got my wife a refurbished dyaom for Christmas

You'll be glad to know that the kayaking was my wife's idea. I love y'all as fantasy hoops comrades, but the day i take relationship advice from the CB boards, i'll be looking for a divorce lawyer  ;D

And I'm truly sorry for disappointing all 19 of you... you esp. Champ! When I read these to my wife, she didn't find them as amusing as I  :P ;D

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
While folks are free to raise other constitutional/rules issues, there are two things that we need to hold a vote on. I'll do my best to summarize the options (as I see them... let me know if I'm missing something) below:

Issue #1:The Schedule

Note: Week 16 in our league is now actually a 14-day week with the games on either side of the longer NBA All-Star Break. As far as I can tell there is no changing this.

OK there are basically 2 options here based on our league/playoff size and the available Yahoo! league options. (I've attempted to show on the table below as well.) Both of these options start on the first day of the NBA regular season, all that is affected is when the playoffs start:

A. 19 week regular season schedule:
-- Each team would play every other team in the league once and only once, providing a balanced schedule for each team (i.e. no team would get an advantage record-wise by playing the worst team 2x)
-- The playoffs would start in Fantasy Week 20
-- Each matchup in the playoffs would run one full week.
-- Because of the 14-day Week 16 this year, this option would begin the playoffs the same point in the real NBA season as last year (where there were 20 matchups over 20 weeks; this would be 19 matchups over 20 weeks).

A. 20 week regular season schedule:
-- Teams would play every team once; but would play a 2nd matchup vs. one team. The week 1 and 20 matchups are repeated. Teams facing a weak team in Week 1 would have a slight advantage.
-- The playoffs would start in Fantasy Week 21
-- The first two rounds of the playoffs would each run one full week;
-- The Championship matchup (Week 23) would run 10 days from Apr. 4-13 (Apr. 4 there are no NBA games b/c of the NCAA championship)
-- The playoffs and finals would start a week later than our usual playoffs/finals. Real life NBA teams clinching or being eliminated from playoff spots may rest their (star) players meaning a greater potential for playoffs/finals matchups being affected by DNP-CDs.

Actual Week   

Actual Date
10/26/15
11/2/15
11/9/15
11/16/15
11/23/15
11/30/15
12/7/15
12/14/15
12/21/15
12/28/15
1/4/16
1/11/16
1/18/16
1/25/16
2/1/16
2/8/16
*A.S.B.*
2/15/16

2/22/16
2/29/16
3/7/16
3/14/16
3/21/16
3/28/16
4/4/16
4/11/16
19-week reg. season      

Fantasy Week #:
16 (14 days long)

16 (cont.)
20 Round 1
21 Round 2
22 Finals
23 (no fantasy games)

Actual Week   

Actual Date
10/26/15
11/2/15
11/9/15
11/16/15
11/23/15
11/30/15
12/7/15
12/14/15
12/21/15
12/28/15
1/4/16
1/11/16
1/18/16
1/25/16
2/1/16
2/8/16
*A.S.B.*
2/15/16

2/22/16
2/29/16
3/7/16
3/14/16
3/21/16
3/28/16
4/4/16
4/11/16

20-week reg. season
Fantasy Week #:
16 (14 days long)

16 (cont.)
21 Round 1
22 Round 2
23 Finals
23 (Finals cont. 10-day week)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:58:57 PM by Gainesville Celtic »

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2015, 11:05:36 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Issue #2:Injured List

I've emailed Yahoo! and posted on a message board thread about how the new IL slot will work and am waiting to hear back.

Here are some things we know and some assumptions about the IL spot available in Yahoo! this year:

1. The IL spot is optional for leagues -- we can set up 0-5 IL spots. Right now it's set to "0"'

2. I'm assuming -- though waiting to hear officially -- that Yahoo! will only allow this spot to be used for injured players, not NA or overseas players (like Dario Saric, who isn't currently in the Yahoo! system unlike last year.

3. I'm assuming that use of the IL spot will affect your roster much like the DL for those of us who play fantasy baseball:
-- A player has to officially be injured* to be eligible for the IL slot on your roster.
-- When you move someone to the IL spot, you then have an empty roster spot to which you can add a FA.
-- Once the injured player is removed from the injured list*, you are barred from FA adds, waiver pick ups and trades until you move the now active player to a valid roster spot or drop him.

4. The issue I see is is with the (*) above. Since the NBA doesn't have an official DL like baseball, I'm assuming Yahoo! is going to just go by whether a player has the INJ next to their name. If memory serves correct there will be times that a player is injured but doesn't have that INJ and times when they DO have it but still play.

The point is there will be some subjectivity is who gets the INJ designation IMO.

Here are at least 3 options:

1. No changes: 16 roster spots just like last year. Season-long injuries = tough decisions.

2. Add 1 Yahoo! IL spot: Use the built-in Yahoo! IL roster spot for injured players -- warts/loopholes and all.

Players like Dante Exum could be moved to this spot on Day 1 allowing LB17 to add a 17th player. Players like Russell Westbrook who a game with a fractured face (but only one game b/c he's Russell-freakin'-Westbrook) could go on the IL allowing Gainesville Celtics to add a 17th player and keep that player as long as I keep Westbrook on the IL.

3. Add 1 manual injured/inactive spot: We'd still need to work out the details... but this would be a manually managed roster spot (tracked by teams & the commish) where each team could (based on our discussion/decision) either (a) put an injured player on for the season (b) put an injured player on for some long stretch and/or (c) put a D-League (i.e. James Young last year) or overseas player (i.e. Dario Saric).

We didn't come to any conclusion or even language to vote on a/b/c in this option, so we'd need to hash that out.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:27:25 PM by Gainesville Celtic »

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Issue #2:Injured List

I've emailed Yahoo! and posted on a message board thread about how the new IL slot will work and am waiting to hear back.

Here are some things we know and some assumptions about the IL spot available in Yahoo! this year:

1. The IL spot is optional for leagues -- we can set up 0-5 IL spots. Right now it's set to "0"'

2. I'm assuming -- though waiting to hear officially -- that Yahoo! will only allow this spot to be used for injured players, not NA or overseas players (like Dario Saric, who isn't currently in the Yahoo! system unlike last year.

3. I'm assuming that use of the IL spot will affect your roster much like the DL for those of us who play fantasy baseball:
-- A player has to officially be injured* to be eligible for the IL slot on your roster.
-- When you move someone to the IL spot, you then have an empty roster spot to which you can add a FA.
-- Once the injured player is removed from the injured list*, you are barred from FA adds, waiver pick ups and trades until you move the now active player to a valid roster spot or drop him.

4. The issue I see is is with the (*) above. Since the NBA doesn't have an official DL like baseball, I'm assuming Yahoo! is going to just go by whether a player has the INJ next to their name. If memory serves correct there will be times that a player is injured but doesn't have that INJ and times when they DO have it but still play.

The point is there will be some subjectivity is who gets the INJ designation IMO.

Here are at least 3 options:

1. No changes: 16 roster spots just like last year. Season-long injuries = tough decisions.

2. Add 1 Yahoo! IL spot: Use the built-in Yahoo! IL roster spot for injured players -- warts/loopholes and all.

Players like Dante Exum could be moved to this spot on Day 1 allowing LB17 to add a 17th player. Players like Russell Westbrook who a game with a fractured face (but only one game b/c he's Russell-freakin'-Westbrook) could go on the IL allowing Gainesville Celtics to add a 17th player and keep that player as long as I keep Westbrook on the IL.

3. Add 1 manual injured/inactive spot: We'd still need to work out the details... but this would be a manually managed roster spot (tracked by teams & the commish) where each team could (based on our discussion/decision) either (a) put an injured player on for the season (b) put an injured player on for some long stretch and/or (c) put a D-League (i.e. James Young last year) or overseas player (i.e. Dario Saric).

We didn't come to any conclusion or even language to vote on a/b/c in this option, so we'd need to hash that out.

My vote would be to either stick with "1" or change to "2". I am somewhat strongly opposed to "3".

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would need to know more about option 3. It seems like possibly a lot of work and policing. At the moment I would just do whatever Yahoo does with one spot

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'd go with option #2 for the Yahoo IL spot, warts and all. It is regulated in an unbiased manner, no one can complain about how the commish handles it, and it is far less work to police, yet it still gives teams a much needed option of not trading away a good player just because he's injured and they need someone productive or else they fall out of the playoff race.

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Question about option 2:  does this mean a team with an injured player can keep 17 at the roster cutdown, or would they have to cut to 16 and then just be able to pick a guy up later?  I'm thinking of scenarios like Paul George last year where the guy already had an injury designation before the season.

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2015, 08:36:07 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Question about option 2:  does this mean a team with an injured player can keep 17 at the roster cutdown, or would they have to cut to 16 and then just be able to pick a guy up later?  I'm thinking of scenarios like Paul George last year where the guy already had an injury designation before the season.

Nope. If we use the Yahoo! IL spot teams will have to cut down their rosters to 16 players -- which for a team like LB17, would include Dante Exum. Once on Yahoo, LB17 could then move Exum to the IL and pick up a 17th player.

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2015, 09:08:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is that what Yahoo is saying? That seems surprising to me. Is that how the baseball thing works?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:36:49 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2015, 11:54:33 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Nope. If we use the Yahoo! IL spot teams will have to cut down their rosters to 16 players -- which for a team like LB17, would include Dante Exum. Once on Yahoo, LB17 could then move Exum to the IL and pick up a 17th player.

Thanks - other question, which we may not know yet: how will we handle a player being taken out of the IL spot?  Does Yahoo do it automatically, or would we have to have our own criteria (like within 48 hrs of appearing in a game or losing the INJ label)?  What happens if people don't do it on time?  Maybe it's done manually by commish and their most recent add is dropped?