Author Topic: All Time - Greatest Player in league from start to today  (Read 12242 times)

Re: All Time - Greatest Player in league from start to today
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I don't think you can say Russell and Wilt went back and forth. That's like saying Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Ben Rothlisburger went back and forth. No they didn't
Sure you can, Bill and Wilt were very close and some seasons one was clearly better, some the other was clearly better.  I mean MVP's were 5 to 4 (4 each while the other was in the league).  I think you could actually make the stronger case for Wilt as the better player more years than Russell (MVP's aside), but with the team success it does skew a bit back towards Russell.
It's just that rings are the only thing that matters.

Rings reflect a teams success, MVP reflects an individuals success and influence  on a team.
Russell was a great competitor, however I don't think he would ever say that he was better than Wilt.  The key factor not being mentioned-Auerbach.  I think  you could make a strong case that if 
Red coached Chamberlain, there would  have been alot more rings on Wilts fingers.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Would the Celtics have won as many titles if Wilt played on those teams instead of Russ? It's really hard to answer. Everyone just assumes that Wilt's ego would make the team worse, but would it? Would he be the same player had he had Red to coach him?

Chamberlain had all the tools Russ did and then some. If a team needed him to just rebound and play D then he would have done that. The Celtics would have then also had the benefit of having a great scorer they could go to when needed. Chamberlain's teams didnt have the lluxury of just using him to rebound and play D though, he had to score and in bunches.

It's really not a fair comparison since his teams asked him to do so much more. Playing with several other HOF players really does make the difference. How many title would Jordan win without Pippen? Oh yeah, we already know that, none!

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't think you can say Russell and Wilt went back and forth. That's like saying Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Ben Rothlisburger went back and forth. No they didn't
Sure you can, Bill and Wilt were very close and some seasons one was clearly better, some the other was clearly better.  I mean MVP's were 5 to 4 (4 each while the other was in the league).  I think you could actually make the stronger case for Wilt as the better player more years than Russell (MVP's aside), but with the team success it does skew a bit back towards Russell.
It's just that rings are the only thing that matters.

Rings reflect a teams success, MVP reflects an individuals success and influence  on a team.
Russell was a great competitor, however I don't think he would ever say that he was better than Wilt.  The key factor not being mentioned-Auerbach.  I think  you could make a strong case that if 
Red coached Chamberlain, there would  have been alot more rings on Wilts fingers.
But that wouldn't mean Bill wasn't the best player of his era.

This ignores that Bill was a great player well before he got to Red. He had two NCAA championships and an Olympic gold before Red. Wilt had none of that.

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
When you read Wilt's bio it's mostly just a long list of reasons why he didn't win that much.

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 10:04:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
When you read Wilt's bio it's mostly just a long list of reasons why he didn't win that much.
again which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:51:15 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Kobe deserves to be in there.  So does Duncan.  Even KG's career was very similar to Lebron. The difference is lebron jumped ship earlier to get his ring where KG remained loyal to minnesota.  If anything Lebron has been very beatable and has lost to quite a few guys in the finals. I'm not sure that spells dominance.   Kobe was just as dangerous if not moreso.  Jordan was similar in that he didn't win anything until those celtics and lakers teams were gone.  He beat the Patrick Ewings, Reggie Millers and Barkleys and Malones of the world.  He went and played baseball while Olajuwan and Drexler were winning.   Lebron has been beat up pretty good.

Does that make KG an idiot and a self defeatist for staying in Minny? I don't think so it more just speaks to the kind of person he was.

I think Lebron is overrated that way though. Dude jumped ship did whatever he could to put himself in the best situation for him alone and still lost.

Russell did not do that.
  Agree with all of this!!

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
again which team is better
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee
Whichever one has Bill Russell on it.

Specifically I say if you trade Bill for Wilt Bill's team gets better and Wilt's team gets worse.

Wilt played with tons of HOFers. The idea that he had no good teammates is a myth.

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Wilt’s record against Russell: 58-84
Russell’s record against Wilt: 84-58

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee

Specifically I say if you trade Bill for Wilt Bill's team gets better and Wilt's team gets worse.

Wilt played with tons of HOFers. The idea that he had no good teammates is a myth.
When Wilt had 2 other HOFers in their prime, Wilt had the greatest team in NBA history to that point and demolished the Celtics in the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee

When Wilt had 2 other HOFers in their prime, Wilt had the greatest team in NBA history to that point and demolished the Celtics in the playoffs.
I assume that was when he finally started passing.

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee

Then that same team choked away a 3-1 series in the conference finals to the Celtics the very next year.   And we all know what happened with Wilt after that.  So I have no  real idea what the point that is trying to be made there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee

Then that same team choked away a 3-1 series in the conference finals to the Celtics the very next year.   And we all know what happened with Wilt after that.  So I have no  real idea what the point that is trying to be made there.
Funny I didn't see Billy Cunningham's stats in that series.  Oh you mean Cunningham was injured so it was just Wilt and Greer.  Hmmm.

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee

These are the assists per game for Wilt and Bill for their first 5 seasons.  I will let you figure out which one is which.

2.3, 1.9, 2.4, 3.4, 5.0
1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.7, 3.4

Wilt did what was asked of him.  His first few years his teams were so bad they needed him to score so he did.  When he was on better teams, his coaches asked him to pass more, so he did and in fact led the league one year.  He is the only player in history to have led the league in points, rebounds, and assists.

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 03:19:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Which team is better?

Team A
John Havilcek
Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Tom Sanders
Frank Ramsey
Willie Naulls
Clyde Lovellette

Team B
Nate Thurmond
Tom Meschery
Guy Rodgers
Al Attles
Gary Phillips
Wayne Hightower
Gary Hill
George Lee

Funny I didn't see Billy Cunningham's stats in that series.  Oh you mean Cunningham was injured so it was just Wilt and Greer.  Hmmm.

Edited. Forget it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:05:56 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't know if people are saying they weren't equal talents. I think people are saying they weren't equal players.

Isn't it true that in 1965 the Warriors tried to shop Wilt, so the owner of the Lakers had his players vote on it and they voted 9-2 against?