Author Topic: Greg Oden hopes to join a team before end of season  (Read 15873 times)

Re: Greg Oden hopes to join a team before end of season
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think Oden should go anywhere that offers him a regular rotation role close to 20 minutes a night. Preferably as a backup rather than a starter.

I wouldn't go to a team like Miami because he might not be able to crack + stay in the rotation. I would avoid most playoff teams. I think Indiana would be tough too with Mahinmi playing well for them.

G.Oden strikes me as the type who regularly makes bad career decisions (putting on all that extra weight before first season, difficulties sticking to his rehab) so I am expecting him to go to Miami and have lots of problems getting on the floor. Similar to what happened with Dampier when the lack of quickness and offensive talent wrecked havoc with Miami's lineups.

Cleveland looks a very good option to me. That is where I would like to see Oden go.

From what I'm seeing, the idea is not to play this year, not play Summer League, or anything until next season. Looks like the lesson was learned about rushing to the court.

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cavs or Pacers make the most sense for him.

Why the cavs and pacers? Both have guys established at the 5.

Heat, blazers, Mavs make the most sense to me. And blazers are obv out

Cleveland = Ohio State university = where Oden went to college.
Indiana = home state = where Oden grew up
well it is more than that.  Oden is actually taking classes at OSU right now and lives in the area year round.  I actually think he would be better off on those teams from a basketball standpoint as they both have some solid young centers/power forwards ahead of him so he won't have near the pressure to perform.

Aside from them a team like the Heat, Bulls, Thunder, or Grizzlies (back with Conley also there) would make the most sense (for similar reasons). 

He just needs a place that isn't going to be relying on him to be a savior and where said team would be fine if he only played 10-15 minutes a game.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:25:40 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I said this before and I will say it again.

Of course the medical staff needs to check him first. Even if his knees are injury prone, if the meds clear him, the Celtics should offer him a 3 year 15-16 million dollars off of his potential alone, with the 3rd year being a team option.

There will be a ton of deals out there, but this deal will be too good to pass. Although it's a very high risk thing to do, the reward would be oh so sweet if he turns out to be even just 85% of what he should.
and where is that $ coming from   ::)

C's basically only have the minimum really available.  as mentioned elsewhere -- make it a 2-year deal only.  If he can play this year, it might require a little raise next year if he can stay on the court.  make the second year a team option as well

I was thinking of next off season. Like an MLE or if we have cap space, an FA signing.

It doesnt seem like he's going to come back this season, so we should go for a really enticing offer, something that's too good for Oden to refuse.
didn't get the impression that you were planning on waiting until next year to make that offer.  In any case, there's no way Oden is worth the MLE, much less worth that much for 3 years-->this guy hasn't been healthy for an entire season yet.  Should the C's have the full MLe availalbe next year (not a guarantee based on the current roster's salaries) I would expect Ainge to go after a very healthy center with that much money.  That's just way too many eggs to throw into a basket as fragile as Oden.

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
From what I'm seeing, the idea is not to play this year, not play Summer League, or anything until next season. Looks like the lesson was learned about rushing to the court.
I don't think his recent injuries have anything to do with rushing back on the court, guy just doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yep, his picture is next to brittle in the dictionary!

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »

Offline toine83

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Boston is probably not a good place for Oden to go (if Oden makes his decision out of self-interest) because Doc will probably make him earn a role in the rotation instead of automatically handing him a 15-20 mpg role off the bench.

KG is one of the best PF/C of the last 20 years and best teacher for a young player still looking for a place in the league.
Doc one of the better coaches for NBA players
Playing with a PG like Rondo and start building a future championship team with Bradley, Green and Sully...
Probably the only 7 footer with Collins to fight for some minutes...
Play off team, NBA champs? why not?

Sure in Sacramento or Charlotte he can get more $..

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yep, his picture is next to brittle in the dictionary!
Mean thing to say about brittle

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Indiana (home roots) and Memphis (Conley connection) seem like two potential landing spots. Oden would only have to serve as the 2nd or 3rd string center behind established starters.

I still think a rebuilding team like Cleveland would also be a good spot for Oden to break back into the league.

Memphis would be a great destination for him. They need a back up center like whoa. They are thin in the front court and having the moral support of his boy Conley might be huge for him. I dont know if the cash strapped Grizz go for it though.

They have Arthur and Speights, they're not what I would call thin.

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
i pass on Oden
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
make him a Lafayette/Gaffney type offer: prorated vet min this year + partially guaranteed 2nd year.

It might seem little money for Oden, but it's not very clear he'll be able to play this season (if ever, look at Brandon Roy). He can rehab as a Celtic, get a fresh start in Boston, and earn his payday in the 2014 summer while having a chance to win now and backup KG (and eventually replace him in the starting C spot someday).

The Celtics could end up losing some money, but little compared to the humongous reward a healthy Oden back in the NBA could be.

Probably he goes to South Beach to meet the Three Stooges and that guy from UConn. Sad.

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Can anyone say I'm wrong and be serious...

Greg should sign with PHX or they should take the flier on him.

I'd love him here, we should take the shot but let me end this post with a few names...

Nash
Shaq
Hill
JO
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Boston is probably not a good place for Oden to go (if Oden makes his decision out of self-interest) because Doc will probably make him earn a role in the rotation instead of automatically handing him a 15-20 mpg role off the bench.

KG is one of the best PF/C of the last 20 years and best teacher for a young player still looking for a place in the league.
Doc one of the better coaches for NBA players
Playing with a PG like Rondo and start building a future championship team with Bradley, Green and Sully...
Probably the only 7 footer with Collins to fight for some minutes...
Play off team, NBA champs? why not?

Sure in Sacramento or Charlotte he can get more $..
Oden doesn't need a teacher. He can already play at a top level. He just needs to be healthy.

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Oden's desire to return to the NBA is admirable, but as a heavy 7-footer with multiple significant surgeries on both knees his playing days are over.

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
He should go to Phoenix.

Yep. Those voodoo shamans on the Suns medical/training staff know what they are doing.

Gortat seems to be halfway out the door, and JO is merely auditioning for a playoff team to either trade for him or pick him up if/when he is bought out. Oden could slide into a no-pressure 20+ minutes a night in Phoenix once the trade deadline passes.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
He should go to Phoenix.

Yep. Those voodoo shamans on the Suns medical/training staff know what they are doing.

Gortat seems to be halfway out the door, and JO is merely auditioning for a playoff team to either trade for him or pick him up if/when he is bought out. Oden could slide into a no-pressure 20+ minutes a night in Phoenix once the trade deadline passes.

Yeah great point. I never thought about Phoenix as a destination. They could turn Oden back into a rotation player, probably even a starting center for them. They've got nothing to loose and look to be on the verge of rebuilding, plus probably going to get rid of gortat.