Author Topic: Daniel Theis made for Celtics  (Read 5898 times)

Daniel Theis made for Celtics
« on: April 28, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
His timing on pick and roll is sublime. It is such a weapon for his teammates to use. Then add the timing of his seals as Kemba and Jason can maximize getting to hoop.
He has some elite length that is a state secret .As he found his groove with the playing time he earned he
 was blocking 1.5 shots a game and he has a Celtic motor. I have the feeling he has not reached his ceiling as he builds off timing he  also looked comfortable attacking closeouts later in season.
Maybe next season the Refs give him a break on tacky fouls.

Re: Daniel Theis made for Celtics
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
His timing on pick and roll is sublime. It is such a weapon for his teammates to use. Then add the timing of his seals as Kemba and Jason can maximize getting to hoop.
He has some elite length that is a state secret .As he found his groove with the playing time he earned he
 was blocking 1.5 shots a game and he has a Celtic motor. I have the feeling he has not reached his ceiling as he builds off timing he  also looked comfortable attacking closeouts later in season.

Remember getting iso'd on Trae Young, game on the line, stopping the drive and then getting the block.

He's tough and plays the two-man game as well as almost any big.

The big question is his knees. Let's hope he can keep it going a good long time.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:33:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He is good as an extra

but can't be the starting center

He can't handle Embiid, Lopez, Gasol, Jokic etc.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:48:18 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

He is good as an extra

It’s all about matchups.  He’s very good against most teams, but yeah, those players are a problem for him.

I’m hopeful that Timelord will be able to handle them.  One of my biggest disappointments in the suspended season was not being able to see him return.  I thought he was picking things up before his injury.  He could be the other center we need, but we’re not going to know for awhile.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:48:06 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 10:27:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He is good as an extra

It’s all about matchups.  He’s very good against most teams, but yeah, those players are a problem for him,

I’m hopeful, that Timelord will be able to handle them.  One of my biggest disappointments in the suspended season was not being able to see him return.  I thought he was picking things up before his injury.  He could be the other center we need, but we’re not going to know for awhile.

There is maybe 2 top level teams Theis matchups well against (Rockets, Clippers)

Thats pretty much it

I do agree about Timelord

earlier in the season when he got a chance to start, the lineup looked really good.  I remember that game again the Raptors. He was superb

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 11:01:20 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

He is good as an extra

I don't think this claim is based in anything other than narrative. Gasol is a 35-year old center that averaged 7 points a game. Lopez is actually a pretty good matchup for Theis. Embiid had one good game against us in the four games we played against the Sixers.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 01:36:05 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Theis has developed well, a pleasant surprise. If he can continue to improve, Rob Williams can fulfill his potential and Kanter keeps rebounding like he did this season, we may have something in the middle - a 3-headed monster to compete with. Still feel like we need a talent upgrade with some real size to win a title, but who knows how this could develop.

What is the prognosis for Williams - is the hip fully healed, is it the type of condition that is going to be a recurring problem ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:32:59 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 03:15:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Theis has developed well, a pleasant surprise. If he can continue to improve, Rob Williams can fulfill his potential and Kanter keeps rebounding like he did this season, we may have something in the middle - a 3-headed monster to compete with. Still feel like we need a talent upgrade with some real size to win a title, but who knows how this could develop.

What is the prognosis for Williams - is the hip fully healed, is it the type of condition that is going to be a recurring problem ?
I feel like health concerns might come back to bite us (all 3 of our bigs have some injury issues), but if two of them can remain healthy I like how we look. All 3 of our bigs provide different looks, and G-Will is a fun 4 prospect.

I like Paul Reed as a bench big for us. I’m given Trevor Booker vibes from him (better rebounder and more athletic defender, but worse passer). Would be good with a pick in the 20s
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

He is good as an extra

He doesn’t have to. Boston gives plenty of help, and doesn’t rely on the individual defense that your critique implies. Furthermore, Theis gives great help defense.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Great question with no obvious answer. He had a transient osteoporosis, i.e., he didn’t just fall hard or break a bone. Is it likely that that would just appear one day and then disappear again, never to return? No.

I wouldn’t bet on him having a long career, or coming close to fulfilling his considerable potential. But there isn’t much precedent for someone with his weird physiology playing ball at this high a level.

Is it related to his PAIS? If so, there might be reason for optimism. Better muscle balance across the knee joints could result in decreased impingement and better local circulation - perhaps that would solve the bone issue.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

He is good as an extra

It’s all about matchups.  He’s very good against most teams, but yeah, those players are a problem for him,

I’m hopeful, that Timelord will be able to handle them.  One of my biggest disappointments in the suspended season was not being able to see him return.  I thought he was picking things up before his injury.  He could be the other center we need, but we’re not going to know for awhile.

There is maybe 2 top level teams Theis matchups well against (Rockets, Clippers)

Thats pretty much it

earlier in the season when he got a chance to start, the lineup looked really good.  I remember that game again the Raptors. He was superb

In the East the only playoff team that I worry about starting Theis against are the 76ers. In the West just the nuggets and maybe the lakers.

Bottom line is Theis is a great fit for this team but he is ideally part of a two or three big man rotation. The Cs molded their roster for that this year with Kanter, Theis and R Williams.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 04:54:53 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

He is good as an extra

Thats pretty much it

In the East the only playoff team that I worry about starting Theis against are the 76ers. In the West just the nuggets and maybe the lakers.

Bottom line is Theis is a great fit for this team but he is ideally part of a two or three big man rotation. The Cs molded their roster for that this year with Kanter, Theis and R Williams.

Theis has done a pretty good job against Embiid this year. But as you mentioned the Nuggets with Jokic are a real problem. We have noone that can stop Jokic. But then again you're talking about the best center in basketball, so of course he'd cause problems for any opponent. The same goes for Curry (PG), Harden (SG), James (SF) or Antetokounmpo (PF) you hopefully have some guys that can slow them down, but you're not going to stop them.

From a luxury back-up center in his first NBA season, Theis has become at least an average starting center. In the ideal case we'd have an All Star at all positions (Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward + ?), but sometimes you just have to be happy with what you've got. There aren't many teams with 5 potential All Stars anyway. That's why I'm actually very high on our top half of the roster and find that the Celtics should push to compete for a NBA title before we lose some key guys.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731

Great question with no obvious answer. He had a transient osteoporosis, i.e., he didn’t just fall hard or break a bone. Is it likely that that would just appear one day and then disappear again, never to return? No.

I wouldn’t bet on him having a long career, or coming close to fulfilling his considerable potential. But there isn’t much precedent for someone with his weird physiology playing ball at this high a level.

Is it related to his PAIS? If so, there might be reason for optimism. Better muscle balance across the knee joints could result in decreased impingement and better local circulation - perhaps that would solve the bone issue.

Thanks for addressing my question - but what is the actual problem in layman's terms ?
Is it an injury that occurred in a game or practice that caused damage ?
Or, Is it a tissue-deterioration type condition ?
What is the treatment and did we know he had this issue before we drafted him ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 03:42:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

He is good as an extra

I don't think this claim is based in anything other than narrative. Gasol is a 35-year old center that averaged 7 points a game. Lopez is actually a pretty good matchup for Theis. Embiid had one good game against us in the four games we played against the Sixers.

It definitely is just narrative.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 04:49:41 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Our best three headed monster centre combo since.........Battie, Potopenko & Blount