Author Topic: Celtics got screwed  (Read 3503 times)

Celtics got screwed
« on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:01 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
And it started with Crowders hit on Gordon and the 2nd operation Hayward had to have removing the hardware and screws.This set back the timetable of rehab significantly.
The push to get Hayward ready had the Celtics playing  four on five.
Not once did Hayward go up to play for Red Claws and i feel that their sports psychologist was meeting with management on psychological aspects of Hayward rehab and that would not be a positive..
It was really hard to watch ,his performances lacking burst, vertical and tentative closing on contact--just drive and kick ,drive and kick ,drive and kick.

I was an apologist for Marcus after his high ankle sprain and this board got on him  and i was a token apologist for Hayward, as i could see the effect on team morale with kids and Rozier
So it looked like against the Pacers it had paid off.

I go back to those screws as the event that delayed and allowed the resentment foster.
Drive and kick,drive and kick-that is all i remember up until last month of season..

The benefit of going out is the long off season for kids and Hayward.
.A long summer for the Timelord to put on muscle and put to use the year of watching.
This will be a  first long season off for Horford and Marcus.

And Danny get us a long, tall point guard or trade for one.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:32:45 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Celtics got screwed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny signed three allstars that could not bring us a championship. Big mistake.

Trade for Davis or wait until 2021 to sign two max players. Ditch Kyrie.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
People, the franchise isn't dead. Let's dispense with the fatalism.

In a worst case scenario, the team loses its all-star PG and still has two of the best young wing prospects in the league, an all-star big, another former all-star wing, and a boatload of draft capital including two upcoming lottery picks.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
That was just a play on words about 2nd operation for screws and hardware knocking back the timetable.It would have put Hayward in much better position to start the season and by playoffs be close to 100% and maybe altered the dynamics enough to keep chemistry in check.
I call it the tyranny of "If Only"

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Danny signed three allstars that could not bring us a championship. Big mistake.

3 all stars and a second round exit and the answer is to have two all stars instead?  Sounds like a coaching problem to me.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

3 all stars and a second round exit and the answer is to have two all stars instead?  Sounds like a coaching problem to me.

Wrong. There only a handful of allstars that can bring a championship...Leonard, Durant, Lebron, etc...

Small guards and undersized centers won't do it.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The curse of IT lingers...  I have no clue when it gets lifted.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The curse of IT lingers...  I have no clue when it gets lifted.
There is no curse. The Bucks were just a better team with Kyrie playing ISO ball. We will never know the moves Danny would have made if he would have kept IT.  Tatum and Brown both have both can be all stars. I think Williams is decent center prospect. If you look at both teams in the ECF no top 10 picks on either team. So you can build a winner through scouting. If we nail these 3 picks we can be there for the next few years.
You also see the chemistry the bucks have. Maybe next year Irving and Heyward will mess. I have faith in our coach and DA.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Is a lot of this misdirected?

I heard Vogel, the new Lakers coach, talk about his game approach today on TV.

He said spread the court with perimeter play, some 3P shooting, but use the perimeter to open up the inside for drives and easy shots.  He also talked about defending the paint.

I hope Ainge and Stevens were watching.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 09:45:00 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Wrong. There only a handful of allstars that can bring a championship...Leonard, Durant, Lebron, etc...

SMALL GUARDS HAVE NEVER WON A TITLE!  ::) ::) ::) ::)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The funniest thing is that one of the guys he listed (Durant) hasn't won a title without playing next to one of the greatest small guards in history
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

The funniest thing is that one of the guys he listed (Durant) hasn't won a title without playing next to one of the greatest small guards in history
Is the dude a bot? He literally just says the same three things over and over again.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 10:21:09 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think the OP should change the title of this thread to the Celtics screwed themselves.

Nobody made them sign Gordon Hayward - who was the second best player on a Utah team that couldn't make a competitive playoff run - to a max contract...

Certainly nobody forced them to make him the 5th highest paid player in the NBA.

Nobody made them force-feed him minutes at the cost of young players growth and team chemistry.

These wounds are all self-inflicted.  Hayward played at the most stacked position on the team.  The team suffered more this year from him being on the court than they did last year from not having him.  Let that sink in. 

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Gordon doesn't deserve any blame as he was setback by the 2nd operation.You can only blame the freak injury ,Gordon rehabbed as hard as anyone could.Management was committed to his recovery and his big paycheck.The Celtic fans  did not give Hayward a free pass on color or because Brad was his past coach. It was in Celtics best interest in playoffs to have Gordon healthy.Therefore the minutes.

The Davis trade rumors didn't help Tatum or Brown and Kyrie was poison.As much as i love watching him and marvel at his skill level
-I find him insulting to the Celtics of the past.
If he leaves i don't care if the plays are jaw dropping  he will never erase the stain of his ,petulant arrogant attitude.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I am guessing what he is trying to say is small guards as the best player but Curry did win one before Durant joined and Isiah Thomas (Pistons) won one.  You could go as far as Irving and Tony Parker won titles, not as the best player but certainly as key players.