Author Topic: Myles Turner Revisited (Rozier Idea) *positionless basketball*  (Read 2983 times)

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about swapping Rozier, Yabusele, and our first for Turner?

He is a 35% shooter from 3 and he is in the top 10 in blocks.

They have Collison at PG for one more year I believe and could use an upgrade. Is Sabonis good enough that they would consider moving Turner?  Just how high is Rozier's stock now? 

Re: Myles Turner Revisited (Rozier Idea) *positionless basketball*
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Interesting idea - I would love having Turner on this team. With that being said I think the chances of pulling off a deal with Pacers are slim cause I remember reading an article saying that they wanted to build their team around Turner and Oladipo, hence I don't believe the package that you suggested would be sufficient.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Turner to them is essentially untouchable.

I do wonder if there could be a trade involving Rozier and Sabonis of sorts. I've suggested it here a few times, but maybe Rozier + #27 FOR Sabonis + #23?

Rozier is the superior player who could help IND a ton, while Sabonis is a young, really solid addition to this front court who has an extra year of control.

In a way, it may also help mitigate whoever we lose out of Baynes/Monroe in the front court. Have Horford-Theis-Sabonis-Baynes/Monroe next season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Love it! TP to the OP! Not confident that the Pacers would do it, but you never know. 8)

Problem is, if we trade Rozier for Turner, chances are we 'll then have to trade Smart as well. I mean, the number one reason we are likely to trade Rozier is the fact that we can't re-sign both him and Smart. Assuming we trade for Turner, it will be the same situation all over again: payroll is about to get out of control --> we can't re-sign both Smart and Turner. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:23:49 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
ET

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
If salaries weren't an issue I would love the idea.  But Turner is two years away from being a $25m per year player.  We can't afford him AND Horford AND Hayward AND Irving AND Tatum AND Brown. 

If we are going to go after a big, it needs to be AD (which won't happen for at least 12 months and likely won't ever happen) or it needs to be someone in the draft.

They have Collison at PG for one more year I believe and could use an upgrade. Is Sabonis good enough that they would consider moving Turner?  Just how high is Rozier's stock now?

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Awww, positionless basketball. The favorite mantra of new age basketball gurus. That sounds great until you realize that you have to defend the Kevin Loves of the world your Gordon Haywards. Oops.

The truth is, not everyone has the luxury of having Kevin Durant and Draymond Green on their roster.

Also, Indiana laughs and hangs up the phone.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Awww, positionless basketball. The favorite mantra of new age basketball gurus. That sounds great until you realize that you have to defend the Kevin Loves of the world your Gordon Haywards. Oops.

The truth is, not everyone has the luxury of having Kevin Durant and Draymond Green on their roster.

Kevin Love also has to defend Gordon Hayward. That’s the whole point.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

So Gordon Hayward can take every jump shot he wants. I can live with that if I can get an easy layup on the other side. We won a title in 2008 playing (mostly) that way.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

In your version of matchup basketball is it forbidden to run a pick and roll to get switches and the matchups you want?  There's a reason we kept seeing Baynes and Rozier on James.  The more versatile your defenders are the less bad your matchups are after switches.  It's a pick your poison choice.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Turner along with Oladipo are there building blocks.  They aren’t going to trade him unless they’re overwhelmed with an offer.  I think Sabonis is a good piece but not to the level of Turner.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

So Gordon Hayward can take every jump shot he wants. I can live with that if I can get an easy layup on the other side. We won a title in 2008 playing (mostly) that way.

I get your point. It would all come down to execution. I'm not sure Love is good enough to dominate from the post anymore, but he would probably get his.

If a big forces a guard into a pullup 2 point jumpshot, that is a huge win for the big. Unfortunately, most of the time those mismatches result in layups at the rim or pullup 3s. Or, they result in an over-rotation by help defense and an open 3.

That's the offense that Golden State uses against the Cavs. They pick on Love. That's the offense that Lebron used on us and he picked on Baynes (and Rozier).

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

In your version of matchup basketball is it forbidden to run a pick and roll to get switches and the matchups you want?  There's a reason we kept seeing Baynes and Rozier on James.  The more versatile your defenders are the less bad your matchups are after switches.  It's a pick your poison choice.
Yes, there is. When you switch everything this means that the opposing team can force every and any matchup they want.

Except you don't have to switch everything. Remember those playoff series we lost  to LeBron because he was able to force iso on Rondo or Perkins on every possession? Me neither -- that's because  they didn't happen.

Those teams fought through picks and actively helped to the strong side of the court post-pick. It's tough, it requires effort and it requires everyone one the team to be able to move their feet and be on the same page. But it works, because when executed well it forces the opponent to make a tough pass across the entire width in order to take a long jumper.

So yeah, my version of matchup basketball took us to the finals twice and won us a title. Brad's version of harebrained switching just got exposed (again) even after the Celtics brass spent years hand-picking personnel for it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:15:09 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
You're comparing apples and oranges.  We held Cleveland to 87 points in game 7 with $55m in payroll sitting on the bench.

Yes, there is. When you switch everything this means that the opposing team can force every and any matchup they want.

Except you don't have to switch everything. Remember those playoff series we lost  to LeBron because he was able to force iso on Rondo or Perkins on every possession? Me neither -- that's because  they didn't happen.

Those teams fought through picks and actively helped to the strong side of the court post-pick. It's tough, it requires effort and it requires everyone one the team to be able to move their feet and be on the same page. But it works, because when executed well it forces the opponent to make a tough pass across the entire width in order to take a long jumper.

So yeah, my version of matchup basketball took us to the finals twice and won us a title. Brad's version of harebrained switching just got exposed (again) even after the Celtics brass spent years hand-picking personnel for it.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
You're comparing apples and oranges.  We held Cleveland to 87 points in game 7 with $55m in payroll sitting on the bench.
Yeah, we held a team whose second and third best players were George Hill and Jeff Green to 87 points. Let's pat ourselves on the head. Coincidentally, game 7 was also the game when Cleveland didn't have Kevin Love to post up on the 6'7 dudes we threw at him.

Also, did we not play Games 1 to 6? You know, the games in which we have to step away from our positionless basketball because of Tristan Thompson?

Tristan ****' Thompson!