Poll

Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?

Yes, I'd give up ONE of them- whichever player Atlanta wanted.
28 (45.2%)
No, I'd rather keep our young guys and wait to see what happens with Rondo first.
12 (19.4%)
I'd only give up Sullinger- we can keep Olynyk as a stretch PF for the future
5 (8.1%)
I'd only give up Olynyk- we can keep Sullinger as our rebounding PF for the future
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?  (Read 12927 times)

Re: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'd look at it another way.  I don't want to trade for a big man unless he is good enough that I would have no problems trading Sullinger plus a top-five protected first round pick for him and would be willing to bid higher if necessary.  Is Horford good enough to pass that test?

A good litmus test. My answer would be no due to his injury history. It would be galling if Sullinger was to continue to improve while we were paying for Horford to sit on the treatment table.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
i'd do either. hell, i'd consider both. I just think sully and horford together wouldn't work, Kelly with horford would work a lot better.

so if they wanted Kelly, i'd immediately be looking to trade sully.

Good point. Olynyk and Horford would work better than Sully and Horford

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Yes -- Rondo and Horford with good supporting cast would make Boston a prime time free agent destination giving Boston excellent opportunity to add a 3rd star to the mix via free agency and in doing so put Boston back in Championship contention in near-future.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I don't see how it really helps us without a true center. Horford is a great player, but he's a PF, not a Center.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
For the 2010 Horford, yes.  I'd give up one or the other.

For the current Horford, No.  Too many injuries and both have been pectorals.  For a guy whose game is centered around banging with the bigs, I can't take the risk.  Sullinger and Olynyk are extremely young in their games still and could still really become great players in the league.  Their just getting started.

I don't think it would take one of them to land Horford.  There is a reason he's available.  It's not like the Hawks couldn't use him.  Therefore I think his trade value has sunk, and could be had for a package like Bass or Green + a mid to late first rounder.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is such a tough call because Horford is a great talent who can score, rebound, and defend, but is so injury prone. Looking at this from Atlanta's perspective while trying to construct a trade with Boston they have to answer a few questions: 1) Am I going to resign Millsap at the end of this season? 2) Do I want to play this season with Antic and Muscala as my centers? 3) I just drafted Payne as a stretch 4, what do I need Olynyk for? If the answers to 1 and 2 are no, then maybe the Celtics could entice them with an offer of Sullinger, Zeller, Young, and Bass as filler. It's a lot to give up, but i think that's what it might take for Atlanta to give him up. I'd prefer to give up two of our less valuable 1st round picks instead of Young, if that would satisfy Atlanta.

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
This is such a tough call because Horford is a great talent who can score, rebound, and defend, but is so injury prone. Looking at this from Atlanta's perspective while trying to construct a trade with Boston they have to answer a few questions: 1) Am I going to resign Millsap at the end of this season? 2) Do I want to play this season with Antic and Muscala as my centers? 3) I just drafted Payne as a stretch 4, what do I need Olynyk for? If the answers to 1 and 2 are no, then maybe the Celtics could entice them with an offer of Sullinger, Zeller, Young, and Bass as filler. It's a lot to give up, but i think that's what it might take for Atlanta to give him up. I'd prefer to give up two of our less valuable 1st round picks instead of Young, if that would satisfy Atlanta.

I would say if its 2010 that's what it would take to land him.  Now, considering all of his injuries, I think his market has sunk.  It wouldn't take as much as people predict on this board.  The reason is more based on his health, rather than his play.

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I would.

But I think it would take more.  Something like Smart and Olynyk.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I trade Olynyk for anyone  ;D
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
If we were to go after an Atlanta big man, I'd rather go after Adreian Payne. Gonna be a solid blue collar worker for his career.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Not a chance.  Horford is a nice player, but he is damaged goods at this point.  He has a congenital problem with his shoulders which has resulted in the same type of tear of the pectoral muscle ON EACH SIDE.  Not worth the risk. 

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes. You kidding me? Of course yes.

I would give up Kelly or Sully for an All Star Center, who's a solid 18/8 per night, has a competitive attitude, good defensively and can play inside and on the mid range. Why not?

I'd give ATL a first rounder with it as well if they want.

Everybody is worried about his pectorals. Sure. But hey, if John Cena can wrestle again after a pectoral tear, Horford can play again.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
For the 2010 Horford, yes.  I'd give up one or the other.

For the current Horford, No.  Too many injuries and both have been pectorals.  For a guy whose game is centered around banging with the bigs, I can't take the risk.  Sullinger and Olynyk are extremely young in their games still and could still really become great players in the league.  Their just getting started.

I don't think it would take one of them to land Horford.  There is a reason he's available.  It's not like the Hawks couldn't use him.  Therefore I think his trade value has sunk, and could be had for a package like Bass or Green + a mid to late first rounder.

I'd rather take a guy with surgery to his pectoral then his back. Don't forget sully had the dreaded microdisectomy. Not good for an athlete.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Noooooooooooooo......not a center......redundant

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If we were to go after an Atlanta big man, I'd rather go after Adreian Payne. Gonna be a solid blue collar worker for his career.

We need to acquire a star/cornerstone player before we move assets for role players.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14