Author Topic: What are the 76ers doing?? draft , trade, draft  (Read 7476 times)

Re: What are the 76ers doing?? draft , trade, draft
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't like what they are doing, no idea why anyone would want to switch teams with them. As far as free agents no one will want to go there until they can prove they have a course of direction.

Personally I hope they get burned in the draft, the deserve it.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
They're making sure they would lose to Kentucky (and the Knicks), while at the same time having enough picks to potentially draft the whole Kentucky Roster.  :P
Win-Win situation, just reversed.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 02:33:15 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
MCW is total fool's gold.  That was going to happen no matter what.  No defense, he's a bad passer (1) and yet he'll require a ton of cap space.

1.) http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2014/11/25/michael-carter-williams-pass-reflects-sixers-season/

Plus, the 6ers are probably going to draft either Mudiay or Russell.

MCW is on his rookie deal for 3 more years, is the best player on the team and Philly is trying to lose so it doesn't matter if he sucks.

There's almost no way to defend this move.  The pick they're getting is top 5 protected this year, so they won't be getting an elite player, and I can almost guarantee if it rolls over that LA will be good enough next year for it to be a low lottery pick at best.

I'm no MCW fan but with Noel, bringing in Embiid and Saric next year and possibly signing a free agent or two, Philly could have been on the road to competitive pretty soon.  Now, they've basically given up on at least next season as well.

Mike

You really think MCW was the best player on the Sixers? Wow... Not even in the top 3 this year, he's had flashes but overall it's been pretty bad. He's one of the least efficient players in the NBA and he's in the top 5 of one category: Turnovers.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:31 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think they are drafting players and seeing which ones have a future with there franchise

Even though MCW won ROY, he did not fit their style that they want and they saw him as putting up big stats on a bad team

Philly runs a fast pace offfense increasing their per game stats, MCW has declined across most of his stats this year
Trading him for whatever assets they could get was a move that they saw as beneficial considering that his stock may plummet even further next year

I also hope that this backfires on the 76ers and they lose the lottery with teams like us winning the lottery cuz we at least tried to win during the season.

But I don't really get trading KJ he kind of fit what a bench SF would do in their fast pace offfense and had the defence and athleticism that suited their style

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
They also took on McGee and got another 1st for a foreign player that probably never plays for them.  That trade clearly makes them better short term.  They traded MCW because he wasn't developing like they thought he should.  In fact he has regressed virtually across the board.  And they got what could be a pretty nice pick either this summer or in the future (depending on what the Lakers end up doing).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
They're tanking for Okafor or Towns so they can have the first 6'10" and up team in the league.

They need to be careful, this could go south really fast. I also hope Karma bites them in the but again. I know some people would like  DA to do what Philly is doing, but I don't know how good for the club it's going to be.

MCW didn't progress on part that management have been trying to move him from the time of the draft. That could put a mental block on a kid trying to getting better, and why try for team that doesn't want you. 

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
They sold high on mcw and realized mcdaniels would likely get an overpay offer in the offseason. So far they are keeping their more valuable pieces. It's not hard to get a quality PG these days but big men are still rare and valued. When their big men are more developed it won't be so difficult to find a competent PG to replace mcw.

Embiid and Noel will not be able to leave without sacrificing a lot of money. I wouldn't be worried about them jumping ship for awhile.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not really surprised at the trade - just at the lack of rumors beforehand.

been saying MCW's upside is a middle-of-the-road starting PG.  ROY award has deceived some people here into thinking that means he's a great prospect --> he's not.  given a couple of years on a team with direction, he could develop into a steady starting PG or at least a really good backup/3rd guard.

not seeing the appeal for Milwaukee unless they're just looking for a PG that's cheaper and cost controlled for a little while.

also, strongly suspected this year that with Philly's difficulty in "achieving" the worst record in the league, that they'd make a move to become even worse as well as strongly look into drafting a non-center like Mudiay or Russell to run their team since they already have Noel and Embiid up front.  other option would be to grab one of the top SFs coming out as a go-to scorer and pick up a journeyman PG to get them through the next year or two until they can draft a better PG prospect than MCW

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They're tanking for Okafor or Towns so they can have the first 6'10" and up team in the league.

I see them trading one of them for a star most likely Noel.

I think MCW was fool's gold, he put up good stats on a bad team, but he was not a very good shooter.  I think he is vastly over rated by folks on this board.   Slamtheking is spot on and a TP to him when he said this:
MCW's upside is a middle-of-the-road starting PG.

The sixers know this , the league knows it and yet the board does not get it.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
This team is unreal.   No direction whatsoever. 

I bet Embiid, Noel are next out the door.  I have never witnessed a team "playing" around
like this in the history of the NBA

Its like someone flaky who finds a job, quits , finds a job , quits as they please. No patients to master the job, move up the ladder

How long are the 76ers going to keep doing this??

I think they have a clear direction. They are trying to implement a plan where they draft multiple stars. They are showing no interesting in accumulating auxiliary players until these Stars are in place. They hope to be the OKC of the east but this involves a ton of luck.

I understand the idea of there plan and have a level of respect for their thinking outside the box. However this is bad for the NBA. The initial blow up including trading a young all-star in Holiday was crazy but has part of a clear path. This last talent dump has to raise some red flags in the league office. A team like NYK going all in for a tank for one season with the clear goal of competing next year stinks for the fans but doesn't carry long term consequences. If Phili doesn't do something this off-season they may completely alienate their loyal fan base.

The NBA needs to make changes to eliminate the possibility of these long term tank jobs. I have said it before and ill say it again they need simple draft lottery reform.

Team get #1 pick top 5 ineligible for next year , top 3 ineligible second year, top pick ineligible 3rd year

Team gets top 3 pick then they are top 3 ineligible next year

On top of this they should level slightly level out the odds and make the top 7 picks lottery drawn not just top 3. This makes it possible for the worst team to fall all the way to #10. Making tanking dangerous.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287
http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-just-happened-2015-nba-trade-deadline-ro-1686849672

This is why so many people think Sam Hinkie's asset hoarding and commitment to The Process, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with actually winning basketball games, is bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. If there was one guy on the roster that Sixers fans loved to point to as evidence that Hinkie is in fact a mad genius, it was K.J. McDaniels. "He plays defense like Scottie Pippen!" they'd wail, "and Hinkie got him with the 32nd pick in the draft!"

Here's another thing Hinkie did: Fueled by his obsession with maintaining cap and roster flexibility, he tried to offer McDaniels a four-year rookie deal in which the last two years of the contract would be non-guaranteed. You can see the cold-eyed calculus here: McDaniels was the
kind of fringe prospect that you don't want to be tied to for four seasons, but his upside made him an attractive guy to buy low on. You give him two guaranteed years, and if he develops into a good player, you get to keep him on the cheap for the last two years of his deal. If he fails to develop? You cut his ass. That's how you maximize the value of an asset.

But K.J. McDaniels is a human being, and sometimes human beings don't like being treated like assets. So he told Hinkie to go Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. himself, signed a one-year contract, and spent the first half of this season developing into a really good defensive shooting guard. He was probably going to ditch Philly this offseason, so Hinkie did all he could and flipped him for a second rounder and that guy who got his dick grabbed by Dwight Howard.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
The 76ers plan seems to be to draft a franchise player, preferably a center.  Trade anyone who is clearly not a franchise player for whatever you can get.  Wait until you have a clear franchise player before shifting away from asset accumulation mode.

MCW is not a good player.

That is it...because history has shown you need a hall of fame player to win a title. Hinkle wants as many chances as possible at playing the lottery for that franchise player. Being competitive and playing for the 8 seed doesn't help you get a franchise player. It is simply playing all or nothing with the full understanding that winning a title is the only goal.

I would rather be in the lottery 10 years in a row rather than end up with a 7 or 8 seed caliber team.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
MCW is total fool's gold.  That was going to happen no matter what.  No defense, he's a bad passer (1) and yet he'll require a ton of cap space.

1.) http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2014/11/25/michael-carter-williams-pass-reflects-sixers-season/

Plus, the 6ers are probably going to draft either Mudiay or Russell.

MCW is on his rookie deal for 3 more years, is the best player on the team and Philly is trying to lose so it doesn't matter if he sucks.

There's almost no way to defend this move.  The pick they're getting is top 5 protected this year, so they won't be getting an elite player, and I can almost guarantee if it rolls over that LA will be good enough next year for it to be a low lottery pick at best.

I'm no MCW fan but with Noel, bringing in Embiid and Saric next year and possibly signing a free agent or two, Philly could have been on the road to competitive pretty soon.  Now, they've basically given up on at least next season as well.

Mike

You really think MCW was the best player on the Sixers? Wow... Not even in the top 3 this year, he's had flashes but overall it's been pretty bad. He's one of the least efficient players in the NBA and he's in the top 5 of one category: Turnovers.

Among Sixers who have played more than a handful of games, MCW is 2nd in points, 1st in assists, 2nd in rebounds and 3rd in steals.  Yeah, he's clearly the best player the had.

But the point with MCW is...what will he be like on a good team surrounded by good players?

Mike

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The 76ers plan seems to be to draft a franchise player, preferably a center.  Trade anyone who is clearly not a franchise player for whatever you can get.  Wait until you have a clear franchise player before shifting away from asset accumulation mode.

MCW is not a good player.

That is it...because history has shown you need a hall of fame player to win a title. Hinkle wants as many chances as possible at playing the lottery for that franchise player. Being competitive and playing for the 8 seed doesn't help you get a franchise player. It is simply playing all or nothing with the full understanding that winning a title is the only goal.

I would rather be in the lottery 10 years in a row rather than end up with a 7 or 8 seed caliber team.

Bull.  By about year 5 of being a lottery dweller you not only wouldn't be buying tickets to games, you're probably not even watching the games on TV.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 07:55:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Sixers are like a kid who buys cereal boxes just to get to the prize at the bottom.

Buy a box, rip it open, see what the prize is.  Not the prize they wanted, so they toss the box, cereal and all, and move on to the next one.

They'll keep doing that until they stumble across a couple of superstar players, or ownership gets fed up and cleans house.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain