Author Topic: What are the 76ers doing?? draft , trade, draft  (Read 7473 times)

Re: What are the 76ers doing?? draft , trade, draft
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There are a few things I respect about the MCW move. They bought low and probably sold high. MCW may have a ROY, but his limitations might mean he settles in at a middling type guard. He is nothing transcendent.

Also, I respect the decisiveness. They might have decided that MCW either wasn't their guy or they might have decided that MCW was really unhappy with the environment. I don't know why they gave up on him, but I respect an organization that isn't afraid to do moves like this if they think it is the right thing.

It does seem like a game of kick the can, but you can't be afraid to make adjustments that you think are needed.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Didn't they give up their 2017 1st in the Bynum deal?  I'd assume they plan to stop before then.
They did but they got it back in the Elfrid Payton trade. 

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Didn't they give up their 2017 1st in the Bynum deal?  I'd assume they plan to stop before then.

yeah they pretty much held payton for ransom
i mean moving up 2 spots in the draft for another lottery pick
and chicago/denver didnt want payton/already had lawson,rose

with the way philly is tanking i might have kept the pick depending on the protections

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
MCW is total fool's gold.  That was going to happen no matter what.  No defense, he's a bad passer (1) and yet he'll require a ton of cap space.

1.) http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2014/11/25/michael-carter-williams-pass-reflects-sixers-season/

Plus, the 6ers are probably going to draft either Mudiay or Russell.

MCW is on his rookie deal for 3 more years, is the best player on the team and Philly is trying to lose so it doesn't matter if he sucks.

There's almost no way to defend this move.  The pick they're getting is top 5 protected this year, so they won't be getting an elite player, and I can almost guarantee if it rolls over that LA will be good enough next year for it to be a low lottery pick at best.

I'm no MCW fan but with Noel, bringing in Embiid and Saric next year and possibly signing a free agent or two, Philly could have been on the road to competitive pretty soon.  Now, they've basically given up on at least next season as well.

Mike

You really think MCW was the best player on the Sixers? Wow... Not even in the top 3 this year, he's had flashes but overall it's been pretty bad. He's one of the least efficient players in the NBA and he's in the top 5 of one category: Turnovers.

Among Sixers who have played more than a handful of games, MCW is 2nd in points, 1st in assists, 2nd in rebounds and 3rd in steals.  Yeah, he's clearly the best player the had.

But the point with MCW is...what will he be like on a good team surrounded by good players?

Mike

Is your argument seriously counting stats? You do realize he scores a lot because he takes a ton of shots inefficiently right? That's not a good thing.