Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Voting Analysis : Team of the Future  (Read 579154 times)

Re: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Roster Analysis Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
No analysis thread is complete until Bandwagonfan gives us his. We demand it! 8)

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 11:42:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it may be a bit too early for any legit team analysis when we've only had 6 rounds. Obviously this is all in good fun but with all due respect to IP who I'm sure is very thoughtful but when breakdowns consist of "I think the Bucks have a major gaping hole at center", you'd have to imagine my shock.

Really?? A team that has only drafted 4 players at this positions to this point and no center would have a problem?? Shut the front door I say! How'd you even come up with that?? That's crazy talk. I say the Bucks are ready to go 4 on 5 with any team out there, anytime baby! We're takin' on all comers!  ;D

The reason why the hole is gaping now as opposed to 2 rounds ago when it was just a position to fill is because nearly every single legit starting center is gone. Even further, every single average to above average starting center is gone. On top of that, those who haven't got their starting big men yet are going to hoard them tomorrow, and you don't pick for another 26 guys. If you had no legit starting shooting guard, then it would not be as bad. That was my reasoning. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, time will tell.

That's why you reach for starting Cs.

Didn't the Bucks have the fifth pick in round five. They could of picked a center then. What happened to that pick?  :P

Magic?

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

My take on the Northwest:

1. Portland
2. Denver (still need mentors at some positions)
3. Seattle, Utah
close 4th minny Minnesota
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 12:29:06 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I think it may be a bit too early for any legit team analysis when we've only had 6 rounds. Obviously this is all in good fun but with all due respect to IP who I'm sure is very thoughtful but when breakdowns consist of "I think the Bucks have a major gaping hole at center", you'd have to imagine my shock.

Really?? A team that has only drafted 4 players at this positions to this point and no center would have a problem?? Shut the front door I say! How'd you even come up with that?? That's crazy talk. I say the Bucks are ready to go 4 on 5 with any team out there, anytime baby! We're takin' on all comers!  ;D

The reason why the hole is gaping now as opposed to 2 rounds ago when it was just a position to fill is because nearly every single legit starting center is gone. Even further, every single average to above average starting center is gone. On top of that, those who haven't got their starting big men yet are going to hoard them tomorrow, and you don't pick for another 26 guys. If you had no legit starting shooting guard, then it would not be as bad. That was my reasoning. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, time will tell.

That's why you reach for starting Cs.

Didn't the Bucks have the fifth pick in round five. They could of picked a center then. What happened to that pick?  :P

Magic?

LOL some trixster stole it from me. don't worry, it'll all work it out when i trade for make my trade for dwight howard.  ;D
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Ok I went away for the weekend, I guess IP was trying to get my attention.

Chris Bosh who proved last year he can’t carry a team to a playoff spot

Dismissed right? Or maybe, a 25 year old who last season ranked 3rd in free throws made, 6th in rebounding, 9th in scoring; who has four All Star selections in six seasons, and led last summer's Gold medal winning Beijing Olympic team in rebounding. For the record, do you consider him the second best under-30 front court player? Third?

P.S. Third-youngest player in NBA history to record 1,000 rebounds. I didn't even know that when I drafted him.

Can we give him credit for attempting to shoulder the load in Toronto? (When far too many players want the franchise money but don't feel obligated to carry their franchise.)  And for great intangibles? AND for great youtube videos? Ok, he didn't lead a beset by injury, thin on talent Toronto team with a mid-season coaching change to the playoffs in '08-'09. He has lead the Raptors to the playoffs in back to back seasons, and for the first time since 1999. So I'm wondering if the criteria is "ever" failed to lead his team to the playoffs? If so let's put together a longer list.

OR if it's a "what have you done for me lately?" list then why doesn't Joe Johnson get credit for an over-achieving Hawks team, for taking and making big shots, for playing almost every meaningful minute of basketball in Atlanta? While Woodson forces him to run the "Lebron" offense. Back to back playoff appearances; a gutsy seven-game series against our own Championship team, and then 50 wins in the regular season and out of the 1st round for the first time in a decade? Could he at least get more then name checked?

and Joe Johnson.
Thank you in advance. By the way, 2nd in minutes played, 13th in scoring, 17th in assists, 18th in three-pointers made, usually defended by two and sometimes three players.

Is Monta Ellis going to come back in a significant way? Will he ever?
Er, hasn't he already? Twenty-five games, twenty-five starts, 36 minutes per game, a highly efficient 19 points per, along with 4.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.6 steals. I don't even have time to get further into it right now, I have a very bad sun burn.

But he was drafted 18th last year.

Is Anthony Randolph a starter on a full time basis? He did well in spot mins for Golden State last minute, but even Gerald Green cold score 20 points as a starter on a bad team.

Just to get it down in one place, you have now compared Anthony Randolph to both Marcus Banks and Gerald Green, two infamous Celtics draft disappointments. (Fair warning, I'm going to bring this up a lot next season.) I invite you to post Banks' and Green's rookie averages, age, and the Celtics' record in each player's rookie season. Also can we officially define "spot minutes" as 18 mpg and 22 starts?

Bottom line I have the Toronto Raptors' best player, I have the Atlanta Hawks' best player, and I have arguably the Golden State Warriors' best player. I have three 20+ ppg scorers in their primes. I only have four players total, so no, I don't expect to be handed any prizes mid-draft but I also don't expect to be ranked last in my division.

Ah, drat, now I get it. This was just a ploy to distract me from my draft board and three picks in the 6th round. Well played, sir, well played.

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 02:08:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That was very well done.

To be fair, I did preface it with:

The Rocket come in last, but like the previous team, I feel bad about it. I’m probably even wrong here

and finished with

This team could go from last to first with the right draft picks to add depth or the right trade to bring back what they need. I don’t think they’re there yet.

I don't beleive in Monta Ellis or Anthony Randolph. I just flat out don't. Monta Ellis has 25 games down, maybe he lasts 82, maybe he doesn't. Even if he does he's still a point guard that averaged roughly a 4:3 assists to turnover ratio, good for 75th among points last season. He is a career 28% 3 pt shooter.

Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson are both very good players. Under 30 front court player, probably 2nd behind Dwight Howard. He's a little soft in the lane, but I can't imagine anyone wants to put thier body through a muay thai boxing match every night when you're only going to win 33 games.

But his hair? Come on. I will concede that you probably rank out better than last. Just without seeing where your team is headed with its next picks its hard to quantify this stuff. With a big bruiser center to handle the defensive heavy lifting, your team gets substantially better.

Also your division is very good. Very good. Hard to rate, because of Kobe being on a team without a true identity, then two teams that are more currently well rounded but have less talent at the top than you. It was hard to put in order for me.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
2009 Fake Phoenix Suns:

PG: Ramon Sessions-26-28 minutes, only at 1
SG: James Harden-28 mins or so, only at SG
SF: Josh Howard-30 mins, only at SF
PF: Big Al-35-37 mins, some at C
C: Joel Pryzbilla-28 mins, all at C

Bench:
Travis Outlaw-30 mins-mostly at 3, some at 4
Roger Mason Jr-20 mins-mostly at 2, some at 1
Nate Robinson-20 mins, mostly at 1, some at 2
Marreese Speights-13-15 mins, mostly at 4, some at 5
Darko Milicic-5-7 mins, mostly at 5, maybe 1 at 4

Goal with different rotations: Never put guys in positions where you ask them to do things they can't.

What am I missing?

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Toronto Raptors
Pg:Andre Miller/Aaron Brooks
SG:Arron Afflalo
SF:Ron Artest
PF:Kevin Garnett
C:Marcus Camby/Big Z

What do you all think?

I do recognize Afflalo is the weak point of my starting 5 however I think you can do alot worse than a defensive guy that can shoot threes
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
2009 Fake Phoenix Suns:

Bench:

Goal with different rotations: Never put guys in positions where you ask them to do things they can't.

What am I missing?

Leadership. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Toronto Raptors

What do you all think?

I do recognize Afflalo is the weak point of my starting 5 however I think you can do alot worse than a defensive guy that can shoot threes

It's a good start.  Your bench needs some significant work, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Toronto Raptors

What do you all think?

Don't think I'm missing the irony here, but who scores for your starting lineup? Only horrible things happen when Artest is asked to score every night, we've all seen how KG isn't the scoring dynamo he once was, and Camby/Miller are both less than talented scorers.

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Portland would like some constructive criticism of its roster, as well:

C: Shaq
PF: J. O'Neal
SF: Rashard
SG: Redd
PG:  Bibby

Bench:  Manu/Miller/Delonte/Gomes/Turiaf

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
2009 Fake Phoenix Suns:

Bench:

What am I missing?

Leadership. ;)

The thought had occurred to me. Brandon Roy turns this into the best team in the west (or a guy like Brandon Roy)...I guess I just have to hope Big Al takes those reigns. Otis Smith did it with Dwight Howard and they made it to the finals.

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
2009 Fake Phoenix Suns:

Bench:

What am I missing?

Leadership. ;)

The thought had occurred to me. Brandon Roy turns this into the best team in the west (or a guy like Brandon Roy)...I guess I just have to hope Big Al takes those reigns. Otis Smith did it with Dwight Howard and they made it to the finals.

Constructively, I think you're missing more than one player to move to the top of the West.  I think the team is a little too raw.

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
2009 Fake Phoenix Suns:

Bench:

What am I missing?

Leadership. ;)

Constructively, I think you're missing more than one player to move to the top of the West.  I think the team is a little too raw.

Like what are you thinking?