Author Topic: 2008-09 Celticsblog fantasy basketball leagues  (Read 49244 times)

Re: 2008-09 Celticsblog fantasy basketball leagues
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
We do have playoffs in the H2H league. Right now, 6 teams, during the last 3 weeks of the season (I believe).

I'd consider opening that up to 8 teams, and perhaps (if possible) moving the playoffs up one week.

You would not have to move the playoffs.  the 1st two seeds just would not get byes. 

Well, I'd want to help ensure that team's best players would still be playing, and not resting up for the playoffs. I'd also want to have the last week be a full, standard week, not a partial one (or one and a half weeks).

The other consideration: with 20 teams, by moving the playoffs up, we could make sure that each team played each other team only once.

This all might be moot, since I'm not seeing any options to expand playoffs to include 8 teams or move up the starting date. I'll keep looking.

What I mean is right now, the 1st week of the playoffs, two teams have byes.  They don't play the first week. 

If you add two more teams, it should not cause you to add another week to the playoffs.  Everyone in the playoff would just play the 1st week.

No, I understand. I wanted to move the playoffs up irrespective of whether we were to expand to 8 teams.

I still can't find any way to do this, though. Yahoo! doesn't seem to allow any deviation from the default playoff setup.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Guys if something opens up in the h2h let me know.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
With an 11 cat as it is set up as now more emphasis is geared towards scoring and taking more shots, and less on %'s with the 9cat.

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Glad to see things are moving along. I've got more thoughts:

I don't know why I was originally opposed to not having game limits. For roto-style, game limits are essential (this is probably where I was coming from, since I've mostly played in roto leagues). For head-to-head, I realize that having no game limits helps level the playing field. When my team's best players play only 3 to 4 games one week, and my opponent's players have been scheduled to play 4 to 5, having no game limits will help me stay competitive.

Since I've got limited fantasy experience, I want to manage my expectations if this league does indeed go no game limit, which seems to be the direction we're headed...

One of my concerns is how injuries are handled. If the bench is playing games, having Ellis or Arenas or Ginobli out for a month, means you're playing two, three, four games fewer than your opponent. If you lose a second player to injury, now you're playing four, six, eight games fewer. How does this play out head to head in the experience of the "no game limit" crowd? Can a team with two injuries get enough games played in a week to compete against a healthy opponent? What's the counter strategy?

Still, I am wary about GMs abusing the system, by keeping one or two roster slots free to add/drop free agents on a daily basis to exploit the schedule. To combat this, I'm still considering a cap on roster moves for the season. A topic for debate.

I'd be fine with a cap on roster moves, also on trades, but the former probably won't be necessary in a twenty team all-out keeper league like this one. I strongly doubt anybody will find sufficient F.A. depth to make rotating out their fourteenth, fifteenth and sixteenth players worthwhile. Thoughts?

As for our H2H categories, I'm fine with either a classic 9-cat, or an 11-cat system. I can't imagine not having steals, blocks, etc. in a league though, and I like including TOs, but that's just me.

Any of the newer owners have thoughts on this? I still prefer 9-cat.

Also (sorry to go on...) I'm wondering what (if any) steps ought to be taken to curtail tanking? Maybe it's a fact of fantasy life? But it was less a concern for me in our points-based league, where owners throwing their season didn't effect anything other than their draft position. In a h2h league, I can imagine it might be a bitter pill to see my competition for first (or second or third...) draw an end of the season match-up against a team with thirteen players on the bench?

In H2H, if a team tanks at the end of the season, IMO they should loose their team. It doesn't matter for the points league, but in H2H it could really be a problem.

As far as game limits go, I still prefer the same as last year, but we should make a decision b4 the draft. That way, if a team is in rebuilding mode, they could draft a project or trade for more picks. If the whole roster is playing b/c of no or higher limits then projects and non-lottery picks will be less sought after.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2008, 07:40:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Woo-hoo! We're all full, 20/20 slots in both leagues.

I'll be assigning teams to new managers very soon, and posting rosters here for the benefit of all.

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Yay.

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2008, 01:21:05 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
OK, I've modified my first post in this thread to list the team rosters for everyone, to facilitate trade discussions and draft strategy.

In some cases, people may have players on their rosters who are no longer in the league, or overseas players with little to no chance of playing in the NBA this year. If people want to relinquish the rights to these players, they can do so, by posting in this thread or by PM to me (I'll update the front page accordingly). However, we won't open up the ability to sign free agents until after the draft has passed.

Next issue is the draft. I'll need to check my notes to see which picks traded hands, although I'm fairly certain that the only trade was Edgar trading his first rounder to Blake/FierceLikePaulPierce.

I plan to conduct the drafts for each league via dedicated threads here on the blog. People would either send PMs to me indicating their selection, or post directly in the thread. I'd like to get these underway soon, maybe this weekend?

After the draft is done, people will need to cut down their rosters if they are over the maximum of 16, so I can upload rosters to the league. The absolute latest I can do this is Sunday, October 26, to allow for unclaimed players to pass through waivers in time for opening night.

In the meantime, feel free to start talking trade (including players and/or picks in this year's draft, but not future picks) with fellow managers. Any agreed-upon deals should be sent to me for announcement.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:27:24 AM by Lucky17 »

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2008, 03:04:50 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
That's great Lucky, and gives me a much better idea of how things stand... Anyway, let's get CFF back in here and give him credit for drafting a great team (no credit for management though...).  Drafted Calderon AND Turkoglu late in the draft, Perkins proves to be another savvy pick. Duhon looks a whole lot better this season...

PG Jose Calderon
PG Chris Duhon
SG Joe Johnson
SG Kevin Martin
SF Hedo Turkoglu
SF Ricky Davis
PF Tim Duncan
PF Al Harrington
C Kendrick Perkins
C Erick Dampier
U Damien Wilkins or Derek Fisher

Of the teams available his was definitely the prize...

Oh and Blake also has Y'all Hate's 1st round pick.

There has been a trade between Blake and myself
Blake is going to recieve my 1st round pick next year along with my 14th and 16th pick.  in return I am getting his 7,10,12, and 14 this year.

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2008, 07:25:18 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for the work you're putting into running the league.  I'm very glad to have gotten the team I did, and I'm really excited to get this thing going.

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Lucky, thanks for getting the show on the road!

Just to get things going, I will waive the rights to Smush Parker.

Don't everybody jump at once.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Thanks Lucky.

I think its funny I named my team the KG All-Stars and ended up with KG.

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I am waiving Carlos Delfino.   It's annoying that he left for Europe, he was a pretty consistent player for me last year.  Oh well.

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Nenad Krstic is on the block!  No reasonable offers refused!  Act now and receive Darius Songaila!
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nenad Krstic is on the block!  No reasonable offers refused!  Act now and receive Darius Songaila!

Since Krstic is going to Europe, I'll offer you a 3rd round draft pick, lol.

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but do i need to cut down my team to a certain number before the draft/signings? I currently have 16 players on my roster.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes