Author Topic: 2008-09 Celticsblog fantasy basketball leagues  (Read 49123 times)

Re: 2008-09 Celticsblog fantasy basketball leagues
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 02:34:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What's the draft procedure, Lucky?  How many rounds is it?  Are we adding roster slots to last year's team, or do we have to cut somebody?  Do we make our cuts before or after the draft?

Of course, regardless of the answers to the above questions, I'm picking Beasley.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Draft of two rounds, max, for the incoming freshman class. (I'd even consider just a single round, if people are so inclined.) Draft order will be reverse order of finish, not serpentine (so Hobbs will have the 1st pick in rounds One and Two of the draft). I have records on which teams ended up trading away their first round picks to other teams.

We'll do the drafts in dedicated threads on Celticsblog, similar to the other offline/mock drafts we've done, but with more time between picks. Ideally, we'll do this over the course of next week.

[At the risk of opening a can of worms, I am undecided as to whether to allow trading draft picks for players, or vice versa, leading up to and during the draft. This is where things went south dramatically last year, ending with the acrimonious departure of the league's original commissioner.]

Same number of roster slots as last year, but I'll allow people to carry more than the max during the draft process. We'll have a cut-down deadline, and then I'll feed the new season rosters into Yahoo!, via their offline draft function, during the last week/weekend leading up to the start of the new season.

I think we have to do 2 rounds, because if I remember correctly 2nd round picks were traded (maybe not...)  Also, for those who traded their first round with the anticipation of still possibly grabbing a rookie (me) I would think we should still have the second round...

I am a proponent of trading picks, but honestly dont really care what is decided as long as it is decided and finalized.  going back and forth on that issue is annoying.

Glad we arent expanding the roster size...I dont think that should be done.

I don't believe anyone traded 2nd rounders. I think someone who traded their first rounder should still have the opportunity to pick up a rookie, so I think we should have two rounds.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to trading picks. As long as everyone knows it's an option before we start, we should be OK. The offline draft via the blog will grant us the built-in ability to review trades.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 02:34:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hmm...  it will be interesting to see who is left with pick #31 in the draft.  I'm guessing nobody good enough to land a spot on the roster, but we shall see.

By the way, I'm interested in a PG, if anybody has an extra one lying around. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »

Offline AllabouttheGREEN

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 66
Hey fellas, sorry for my slowness in signing up, work has been a nightmare.  Anyway, during a late lunch here, I just signed up for both leagues and sent both a PM and a yahoo email to Lucky.  I'm looking forward to having another great season with everybody... :)

"If you don't want to know much about basketball, then watch Gary and Greg on FSN..."

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Hmm...  it will be interesting to see who is left with pick #31 in the draft.  I'm guessing nobody good enough to land a spot on the roster, but we shall see.

Actually, we only have 20 teams, so with 2 rounds, you'll pick at #21. Borderline lottery talent there.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 02:58:02 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

I have a few PGs. I may be willing to move one for the right swing player SG/SF.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What's the draft procedure, Lucky?  How many rounds is it?  Are we adding roster slots to last year's team, or do we have to cut somebody?  Do we make our cuts before or after the draft?

Of course, regardless of the answers to the above questions, I'm picking Beasley.

Draft of two rounds, max, for the incoming freshman class. (I'd even consider just a single round, if people are so inclined.) Draft order will be reverse order of finish, not serpentine (so Hobbs will have the 1st pick in rounds One and Two of the draft). I have records on which teams ended up trading away their first round picks to other teams.

We'll do the drafts in dedicated threads on Celticsblog, similar to the other offline/mock drafts we've done, but with more time between picks. Ideally, we'll do this over the course of next week.

[At the risk of opening a can of worms, I am undecided as to whether to allow trading draft picks for players, or vice versa, leading up to and during the draft. This is where things went south dramatically last year, ending with the acrimonious departure of the league's original commissioner.]

Same number of roster slots as last year, but I'll allow people to carry more than the max during the draft process. We'll have a cut-down deadline, and then I'll feed the new season rosters into Yahoo!, via their offline draft function, during the last week/weekend leading up to the start of the new season.

I think if the process for how the future drafts are going to be done, trading draft picks should be fine.  Though I would stay away from future draft picks.  (For example, you can trade the draft picks of this years rookie draft, but not the following year until this season games start)

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I think if the process for how the future drafts are going to be done, trading draft picks should be fine.  Though I would stay away from future draft picks.  (For example, you can trade the draft picks of this years rookie draft, but not the following year until this season games start)

I'd agree here.

Also, I think for this coming season, I like the idea of a lottery/element of randomization when it comes to determining draft picks for next year's draft. This came up last year, and I liked the suggestions of having a 5-team lottery to reduce the chances of benefiting from outright tanking. The worst teams will still have the best chances of getting the #1 or #2 pick. But this is perhaps getting ahead of ourselves.

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Sorry to chime in late on this.  My only concern is that we have game limits in the roto league.  Roster move limits in the head to head league sound like a smart idea too. 

Looking good so far, Lucky.  Thanks for working this out.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Sorry to chime in late on this.  My only concern is that we have game limits in the roto league.  Roster move limits in the head to head league sound like a smart idea too. 

Looking good so far, Lucky.  Thanks for working this out.

Oh, yeah. I think we have to have game limits per roster slot in the points-based league, be it 82 games, 85 games, 90 games, whatever.

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Also, I think for this coming season, I like the idea of a lottery/element of randomization when it comes to determining draft picks for next year's draft. This came up last year, and I liked the suggestions of having a 5-team lottery to reduce the chances of benefiting from outright tanking. The worst teams will still have the best chances of getting the #1 or #2 pick. But this is perhaps getting ahead of ourselves.

I still lobby for my idea about the lottery.  The worst 5 pick a real nba team in the lottery to represent them.  the NBA conducts the lottery and you get the pick that 'your team' got.  Makes it easy for us, we dont need to worry about lottery procedures.  Adds excitement for those people to lottery night.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I still lobby for my idea about the lottery.  The worst 5 pick a real nba team in the lottery to represent them.  the NBA conducts the lottery and you get the pick that 'your team' got.  Makes it easy for us, we dont need to worry about lottery procedures.  Adds excitement for those people to lottery night.

This is what I was thinking of too, YH.

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
We'll have a cut-down deadline, and then I'll feed the new season rosters into Yahoo!, via their offline draft function, during the last week/weekend leading up to the start of the new season.

Any chance we can do earlier? Barring a trade I'm going to end up with one or two open roster spots to fill via waivers or free agency.

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 04:44:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
We'll have a cut-down deadline, and then I'll feed the new season rosters into Yahoo!, via their offline draft function, during the last week/weekend leading up to the start of the new season.

Any chance we can do earlier? Barring a trade I'm going to end up with one or two open roster spots to fill via waivers or free agency.

Possibly, yes.

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
OK, we've got 17 of 20 slots filled in the points-based league. I still have not heard anything from Smiggity (assuming he hasn't signed up under the team name "wes mantooth;" I still can't tell which Celticsblog player this is). If Smiggity's a no-show, I have Gomesfan ready to take his slot.

We've also got 19 of 20 slots filled in the head-to-head league. Again, if there's no Smiggity, I'll turn his team over to Gomesfan.

Looks like we still may have a couple slots available in the points-based league, so if you're reading this thread and want to join up, PM me.

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
and get ready to lose

GO CROTORS!!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!