Author Topic: Mission Get Gasol.  (Read 6498 times)

Re: Mission Get Gasol.
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Gasol is the only trade you can make that puts us in contention.
The loss of Rondo will be blunted some by our depth in the backcourt.
Also Barbosa when given minutes can produce.

How will Gasol turn PP and KG into contenders if he can't turn Dwight and Kobe into contenders?

Its similar to what we have here in Boston. We have a bad mix of players. The Lakers offense is a bad fit for Gasol.

Trading our only point guard for an underperforming  big isn't going to magically improve our mix of players.

Adding another big who can give you almost 10 rebounds every night will. Losing Rondo wont be as bad as you think Tim.

Rebounding isn't the problem you think it is. We're a better than average defensive rebounding team and putting Gasol on the roster won't change Doc's OReb philosophy. Losing Rondo will be a lot worse than you think. We won't have a player on the roster capable of being a dominant player in the playoffs and obviously Gasol won't change that.

What are you talking about.
We are 28th out of 30 in Total rebounds.
"No Rebounds No Rings"....Pat Riley

Yes, I realize that we're 28th in total rebounds. I also realize that we make more of an effort to get back on defense than go after offensive rebounds, something you seem to have not noticed.

No we are not a better than average rebounding team. We are
17th outta 30th in DRB. The league average is 1244 atm. We currently have 1215. You really need to check your facts better.

You need to get a better handle on what we're discussing. Teams playing against the Celts don't take a ton of shots, so there are fewer misses to rebound than most teams. We're 12th in the league in terms of the percentage of our opponent's missed shots that we rebound. We grab 73.5% of our opponent's missed shots. A team that grabs 72% of their opponent's missed shots would be a worse defensive rebounding team than we are, but if their opponents missed a ton of shots they would still have more total defensive rebounds than we do.

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:02 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
What about Rondo/Green/Bass/Wilcox/Melo for Nash/Ebanks/Pau?

It'd be an all-in for this season......  We'd certainly have more talent this year than currently, but it'd be a risk.  Defense would be worse but our offense would be incredibly efficient.

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

Very very potent team.  I'd probably switch Lee and Bradley actually to give us that extra shooter with the starters and Bradley's energy off the bench.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

It'd be an all-in for this season......  We'd certainly have more talent this year than currently, but it'd be a risk.  Defense would be worse but our offense would be incredibly efficient.

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

Very very potent team.  I'd probably switch Lee and Bradley actually to give us that extra shooter with the starters and Bradley's energy off the bench.

Gasol doesn't fit into the offense Nash likes to run.

Why trade for both of them?

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

17th outta 30th in DRB. The league average is 1244 atm. We currently have 1215. You really need to check your facts better.

His reference was to defensive rebounding, right?  Raw number of rebounds is an unhelpful stat because it doesn't account for pace.  More useful is defensive rebound rate, which measures the percentage of defensive rebounds controlled by the team.  The team is 13th in the league in that stat - a tick above average, though not quite good.

No cant agree sorry.

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:12 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No way should Rondo be traded to the Lakers under ANY circumstance.  Particularly not for the Lakers old guys.  Even if we get one chip I don't like the idea of setting LA up for the next dynasty

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

Half the teams in the league would run a lineup that old off the court, and that's a conservative estimate.

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:21 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Not sure there is any doubt Gasol would make this team better. Trading 3 bench players for him is probably worth it. Trading a PG who is starting in the All-Star game is absolutely nuts. If the Lakers could have moved Gasol for young talent and/or draft picks they would have already. Seems like the next best thing is role players who fit their system, or at least have more trade-able contracts. I think the Lakers have to at least take the call.

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

His reference was to defensive rebounding, right?  Raw number of rebounds is an unhelpful stat because it doesn't account for pace.  More useful is defensive rebound rate, which measures the percentage of defensive rebounds controlled by the team.  The team is 13th in the league in that stat - a tick above average, though not quite good.

No cant agree sorry.

lol, can't agree with what?  It's a valid stat - look it up yourself.  I pulled it from hoopdata.com.   

Assume one team gets 60 rebound opportunities per game and gets the ball on 60% of them.  Another team gets 80 opportunities, but gets 50%.  The second team will have more total rebounds than the first (40 to 36) despite having a lower likelihood of getting the rebound on any given play. 

Like I said, rebound rate is much more useful than total rebounds. 

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

No cant agree sorry.

To take your logic to something of an extreme, team A could rebound 71 of their opponent's 90 missed shots while team B could rebound all 70 of their opponent's misses and you'd insist that team A, which gave up 19 offensive rebounds, is a better defensive rebounding team than the team that gave up *zero* offensive boards because they got 71 defensive rebounds compared to 70 for team B.

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

I don't see how...
-Nash can absolutely run a half court offense with the best of them.
-They both can play pick and roll basketball together.
-Pau is a great iso player.  Nash can space the floor.
-If the offense doesn't want to iso or directly involve Pau, Pau is a very good shooter for a big man.

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

Half the teams in the league would run a lineup that old off the court, and that's a conservative estimate.
Playoff basketball is about half court basketball.  I don't think Rondo/Bass are what are preventing teams from running fast breaks on us.  Teams don't run on us because of the not crashing o-board style of basketball we play that you've brought up earlier.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:15 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I do it.

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 12:29:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

I don't see how...
-Nash can absolutely run a half court offense with the best of them.
-They both can play pick and roll basketball together.
-Pau is a great iso player.  Nash can space the floor.
-If the offense doesn't want to iso or directly involve Pau, Pau is a very good shooter for a big man.

Celtics become:

Nash/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Ebanks
Gasol/Sullinger
KG/Gasol/Collins

Playoff basketball is about half court basketball.  I don't think Rondo/Bass are what are preventing teams from running fast breaks on us.  Teams don't run on us because of the not crashing o-board style of basketball we play that you've brought up earlier.

Playoff basketball is more half-court based because better teams generally play better transition defense and don't allow tons of fast break opportunities.

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:43 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Green, Bass, Terry for Gasol tell the Lakers stick it if they don't like.

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2013, 01:13:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
No way should Rondo be traded to the Lakers under ANY circumstance.  Particularly not for the Lakers old guys.  Even if we get one chip I don't like the idea of setting LA up for the next dynasty
Yeah, really ... that's like a worst nightmare scenario.

Trading Rondo, (our future), for another old guy and an ageing, inconsistent one?

That's just crazy, and not even a realistic option.

I would never consider this trade.

Man, would Dwight love it, though, lol!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *