Author Topic: 100 Tommy Points  (Read 998408 times)

Re: 100 Tommy Points
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The clear standard of excellence (as noted in the Pulitzer Prize winning "Greener Posters: CBlog's 100 Greatest") is to maintain a 10:1 Post to TP Ratio (TPR).

As an occasional poster, I have always been proud of sporting a solid TPR.  FL is certainly the Bob Gibson (circa 1968) of TPR, while unnamed others wallow in a dearth of recognition. 

I would also like to give credit to those mega-posters who are less likely to sport high TPR. Much like Antoine Walker heaving voluminously from beyond the arc with occasional success, these prolific pontificators are often of great value to the blog, but will always have a more challenging road to high TPR.

Some might say there is greater value to quality over quantity; other may argue quantity over quality.   While both add value to this medium, it is a rare but treasured poster who provides both.   TPs galore to those precious few.

It's going to be pretty hard for any member of the staff to reach the 10:1 ratio.  Somehow, I don't think people are clamoring to give us TPs when we're locking threads or issuing public warnings (which, of course, count against our post count).  Also, the law of diminishing returns is clearly at work in the TP ratio; once posters see someone has a lot of TPs, they are much less likely to give them more.

It's great to see that posters appreciate and recognize the contributions of posters like FLCeltsFan and redzdead.  The front page links, game threads, and MVP polls are all great features on this sight, and it's nice to see the appropriate people are receiving kudos for their hard work.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The clear standard of excellence (as noted in the Pulitzer Prize winning "Greener Posters: CBlog's 100 Greatest") is to maintain a 10:1 Post to TP Ratio (TPR).

As an occasional poster, I have always been proud of sporting a solid TPR.  FL is certainly the Bob Gibson (circa 1968) of TPR, while unnamed others wallow in a dearth of recognition. 

I would also like to give credit to those mega-posters who are less likely to sport high TPR. Much like Antoine Walker heaving voluminously from beyond the arc with occasional success, these prolific pontificators are often of great value to the blog, but will always have a more challenging road to high TPR.

Some might say there is greater value to quality over quantity; other may argue quantity over quality.   While both add value to this medium, it is a rare but treasured poster who provides both.   TPs galore to those precious few.

It's going to be pretty hard for any member of the staff to reach the 10:1 ratio.  Somehow, I don't think people are clamoring to give us TPs when we're locking threads or issuing public warnings (which, of course, count against our post count).  Also, the law of diminishing returns is clearly at work in the TP ratio; once posters see someone has a lot of TPs, they are much less likely to give them more.

It's great to see that posters appreciate and recognize the contributions of posters like FLCeltsFan and redzdead.  The front page links, game threads, and MVP polls are all great features on this sight, and it's nice to see the appropriate people are receiving kudos for their hard work.

No question that Mods will be unlikely to ever reach the coveted 10:1 TPR.  Too many posts for too many varied reasons.  Hopefully, regular posters and readers are showing their appreciation to the staff by continuing to respect the rules and continuing to visit this wonderful site. 

Consider the TP I just gave you a 1:1.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
bdm and wdleei, thanks alot fellas, i appreciate it.

redz, u kill me with ur witty humor and funny pics!

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

not sure if i am out of line here or not....but if a mod spot opens up, i think redz would be a great choice. as a long time user of the blog, i can say he contributes alot to the community, has great things to say, and most importantly.....is well respect by other bloggers.

just my two cents

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »

Offline gillyguy68

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I wish i could get more tommy points, I post all the time

Anyway congatulations redz, I hope i can get 100 some day.

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2008, 10:48:53 PM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'm a little lean on the Tommy points - so i hope this doesnt sound bitter...but

Do people mention they gave someone a TP just so they have a chance of getting one back?

I never understood complementing a person on a post, and then saying "oh by the way, i gave you a TP".

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown

Roy, i'm not so sure thats true.

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I'm a little lean on the Tommy points - so i hope this doesnt sound bitter...but

Do people mention they gave someone a TP just so they have a chance of getting one back?

I never understood complementing a person on a post, and then saying "oh by the way, i gave you a TP".

People say that just to let the person know that you appreciated their post. I know I've told FLCeltsfan, Redz, and Roy a few times that I gave them one because I thought they made great contributions/strong points that really added to the quality of the threads.

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown

People say that just to let the person know that you appreciated their post. I know I've told FLCeltsfan, Redz, and Roy a few times that I gave them one because I thought they made great contributions/strong points that really added to the quality of the threads.

But you know you can let them know you appreciate their post without saying you gave them a TP.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

This whole train of thought is just so thoroughly amusing that I've found myself inclined to give a TP for it.  Which begs the question, if we're spending more time analyzing TP production than we are doing such things as discussing basketball or, I dunno, sleeping, should we be rewarded with more TPs?  And, if so, doesn't that just feed fuel into the TP analyzing self fulfilling machine? 

Yup, it's time for me to go to bed again.

BTW...Thanks for for the kind words posted within this thread.  Appreciate it. 

What we all wouldn't give for one REAL TOMMY POINT!

Yup

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings

But you know you can let them know you appreciate their post without saying you gave them a TP.

Sometimes it's nice to know who it came from and what post they liked of yours.

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

OK, since I'm still clearly awake and still clearly logged on to this addictive little habit I'll chime in on this one too (I can't get enough TP talk).  I think what Slugger has an issue with is reciprocal TP'ing (I'm makin' it a verb [dang it]).  I've seen the opposite hold true on eBay and it's kind of silly - I've left someone negative feedback because they sent me a piece of poop, instead of the actual item I ordered (which was not, in fact, a piece of poop).  That person then leaves me negative feedback saying "this guy is absolutely insane", when as a buyer, I feel I fulfilled my one duty by actually paying for the item.  Anyhow, it's called retaliatory feedback and it's childish.

Now, how does this relate to this topic.  I guess, if you were to take TPs for more than the grain of salt, bit of good will that they are, you could construe that giving someone a TP for the simple fact that they just mentioned that they gave you one is a bit childish as well - but in a good way.  There's really nothing negative about giving a TP for whatever reason (especially since we got rid of negative TPs).
Yup

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2008, 11:52:27 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings

OK, since I'm still clearly awake and still clearly logged on to this addictive little habit I'll chime in on this one too (I can't get enough TP talk).  I think what Slugger has an issue with is reciprocal TP'ing (I'm makin' it a verb [dang it]).  I've seen the opposite hold true on eBay and it's kind of silly - I've left someone negative feedback because they sent me a piece of poop, instead of the actual item I ordered (which was not, in fact, a piece of poop).  That person then leaves me negative feedback saying "this guy is absolutely insane", when as a buyer, I feel I fulfilled my one duty by actually paying for the item.  Anyhow, it's called retaliatory feedback and it's childish.

Now, how does this relate to this topic.  I guess, if you were to take TPs for more than the grain of salt, bit of good will that they are, you could construe that giving someone a TP for the simple fact that they just mentioned that they gave you one is a bit childish as well - but in a good way.  There's really nothing negative about giving a TP for whatever reason (especially since we got rid of negative TPs).

I'd rather earn my tommy points then be given them because someone felt obligated to reciprocate.

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2008, 12:15:25 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
So I've noticed a few people talking about Redz in this thread:

Red although the avatar is kind of creepy. Your posts are almost always good for a laugh or too.

redz, u kill me with ur witty humor and funny pics!

if a mod spot opens up, i think redz would be a great choice

And I agree with all of it.  Redz posts always make me laugh, but that avatar is freakin' creepy man.  Now I have no idea who Redz really is, never talked to him, never met him, never communicated through PM's, so I clicked on his name to try to solve the mystery of Redz (even though I'm pretty sure that's a box I don't want to open) and what do I find but a link to what I would imagine to be Redz website: The Caped Cod. And I kid you not, one of the first pics that jumps out at me is this (and if you don't believe me go see for yourself):

No picture could summarize who I think Redz is better than what I found on his website. Now it's all starting to make a little more sense: the funny posts, the witty remarks, the creepy avatar.  With that picture, I think the final piece of the puzzle is now in place.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I have slipped to under 10:1 and don't like it.

Could I get a tp or twenty for these posts for heavans sake!!!:

78   Celtics Basketball / Celtics Talk / Re: Danny Ainge confirms talks; KG's agent says he's in the loop  on: July 30, 2007, 11:20:41 AM  
hey we will all miss Al but being 42-6 at the break is going to make it easier

yeah that was pretty good and this is good too:

93   Celtics Basketball / Celtics Talk / Re: Garnett can now demand a trade to us. We are one big move away  on: June 30, 2007, 03:52:32 PM  
its only obvious that we are now attractive to Garnett. If we are number two or three, it dosn't really matter when McHale isn't going to want to trade to Phoenix if he can get the celts to match it, and I think our package beats theirs. He knows Al is a great guy and has dealt with DA
before(duh) Frankly if it isn't obvious McHale would deal to us before Phoenix, well there is no explaining anything
 to someone who can't get that concept.

94   Celtics Basketball / Celtics Talk / Garnett can now demand a trade to us. We are one big move away  on: June 29, 2007, 04:07:45 PM  
Garnett can now look at us and say we are his best option. He can win a title here.

With Perk getting 26 min at center and KG 22 we are covered. Davis will become a good back up at pf now, KG can do 16 minutes+ there. The rest of the starting lineup with PP, Ray Allen and Rondo wins a title if Rondo develops fast. TA must be kept to solidify the bench. Gomes also. Pruitt will be fine also

McHale will have to trade KG to us. Our previous offer was the best he could have had but now it drops to Al, Gerald, and next years pick, plus we let the one we have from them go back to them. That's enough and Kg will do it and so will McHale.

If we want to pick up a veteran free agent point we can do that too, but I saw Pruitt pla and he will be adequate behind RR. Its RR that has to step up and TA and all have to be healthy

So there is Chicago. McHale likes Al better than anything Chicago can send to him as a foundation for a trade.

Its only obvious if Garnett goes anywhere it will be here with one if: Does Danny still want to do it? Not so sure about that. And should we want it? I think so. We'd get 3-4 years out of that team, imho