Author Topic: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball  (Read 13685 times)

Re: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Marcus is great when he plays the role he is supposed to play: a complementary player. When he doesn’t, he is a train wreck. I’d argue there’s probably some correlation between Cs losses and the amount of shots he takes. I understand injuries etc play a role
In who is able to take shots, but ultimately the team is better of JT/JB/Kemba are taking most of the shots and then Smart and bench get the scraps. Too many times we’ve seen Smart basically shoot more than some of those guys. Smart is still a useful player and tends to make more winning plays than losing ones but he is frustrating to watch sometimes.

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Throughout his career, Boston has been slightly better with Smart on the floor then with him on the bench, but it isn't a significant amount such that they might be better off with someone else filling that role.  Not a bum, but just a nice solid player.  Maybe even one that is flawed (like a Lou Williams type player).  I think it is certainly fair and reasonable to wonder though.  I do know that Smart is almost as likely to make a boneheaded play that costs the team as he is to make a spectacular play that helps the team, and that is the real problem in addition to his inability to not take shots.  There is no way he should be shooting the insane amount of 3 point shots he takes.  He should be in the 2-3 range in attempts.  If he did that, he would be so much more valuable as a player and the fact that he doesn't, drives me bonkers.

This has more to do with Brad than Smart.   

I believe Karalis earlier in the season asked about Smart shot selection or something to this effect

And the overall feeling I got was that, Brad was not going to limit him

Take the open shot philosophy.  Which could mean anything, depending on the player 

Unlike say a Doc Rivers.  Who will tell certain players not to take 3s.  Or limit to wide open 3s.   

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I have always liked watching smart play until this year. He was awesome last year and stepped up in the playoffs. It’s like he’s taking a step back this year by going back to being erratic on offense.

I feel the same way. Something’s not quite right with Smart this year. Right now I’m chalking it up to: we don’t have Hayward anymore and we haven’t had our big 3 share the floor yet.

Smart definitely gets trigger happy and has a flair for the heroics. It seems like he has difficulty playing within himself and making the boring play. Idk if I’ve watched too many Marcus Smart games but sometimes, I swear, I just get the feeling that he’s going to jack up a bad shot just by how he’s coming down the floor.

- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I have always liked watching smart play until this year. He was awesome last year and stepped up in the playoffs. It’s like he’s taking a step back this year by going back to being erratic on offense.

I feel the same way. Something’s not quite right with Smart this year. Right now I’m chalking it up to: we don’t have Hayward anymore and we haven’t had our big 3 share the floor yet.

Smart definitely gets trigger happy and has a flair for the heroics. It seems like he has difficulty playing within himself and making the boring play. Idk if I’ve watched too many Marcus Smart games but sometimes, I swear, I just get the feeling that he’s going to jack up a bad shot just by how he’s coming down the floor.

I agree.  Also and like others have said, I don't understand why he's often the primary ball handler and Pritchard stands in the corner, IMO the roles should be reversed.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree.  Also and like others have said, I don't understand why he's often the primary ball handler and Pritchard stands in the corner, IMO the roles should be reversed.

The numbers back this up. For the last few years our offense has been about as good with Smart on the floor as with him off the floor. This year our ORTG is 106 with him, 121 without.

Part of that is we have two good offensive backups in Pritchard and Teague, but part of it also seems to be that when Smart's out there *with* one of those guys, they aren't used well. I just checked and Pritchard's numbers are much better without Smart than with him.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It does not suck to watch Smart put everything he has into every game and leave it all on the floor- always. He hates to lose and his passion on the floor demonstrates that without hesitation. I hope Smart stays with us for many more years. If we had 15 players with his heart and talent, we would be unstoppable but you cannot teach passion and fire to everyone. You either have it or you don’t. You cannot win a title without a few like him as well.

I will gladly trade passion and fire for basketball skill and high intelligence. It's my opinion that Smart has the lowest basketball IQ on this team. He thinks he is Kyrie with the shots he takes. It's insanity.

Smart has very good basketball IQ. The problem is that sometimes his emotions, which are a core part of his competitiveness that makes him great, override his basketball IQ.

This happens VERY frequently. Game after game after game with no end in sight. He REFUSES to play a reduced role on offense. This is a sign of very low basketball IQ. Could you imagine if Dwight Howard refused to rebound and instead prefered taking mid range jumpers all game? That's the equivalent of what Smart does game after game for years now.

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 04:09:14 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
Imo, Smart is the second best guard defender in the NBA behind only Ben Simmons (who ain't exactly a guard to begin with). He can defend 4 positions: 1 through 4. I've even watched him play amazing D against some 5s! The C's are built around Tatum and Brown. Both of them are switchable (s)wing defenders. Smart is literally the perfect fit in our switch-heavy defensive system.

Obviously, he ain't a scorer. No problem whatsoever by me. This is why we managed to re-sign him on a team friendly contract, plus we already got Tatum and Brown to carry the scoring load. His shot selection is an ongoing issue, but he's a reliable ball handler + passer. Imo, Smart is at his best when running the point. He's averaging a career high 5.5 assists per game this season and only 1.6 t/o per game. I fully expect his assists number to go down now that he'll be playing mostly off the ball next to Kemba.

Smart could not slow down Devin Booker, Tyler Herro, Khris Middleton, Bradley Beal, Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, or heck even the likes of Ish Smith. Even his defense leaves a LOT to be desired. When Herro was giving us the business in the bubble Smart could not even slow the guy down.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
Unsure how I feel about Smart anymore. The few holes he has in his game are some very frustrating ones for fans that cannot be dismissed by "his competitive spirit"

He's a below avg shooter and a terrible finisher. Which is disappointing because he's great at getting to the lane and putting his man on the hip. He just cant do anything but throw an ally to the rim runner. I think that's my issue with him is he hasn't improved as a finisher and probably why he chucks 3s instead, at least those have a 1/3 chance of going in.

I'll get roasted for this take but I think his defense is overstated slightly because of his Celtics passion.

You are absolutely correct. He is not a lockdown defender (do those even exist in the NBA anymore?) and cannot slow down the best player on the other team when we need him to.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
I'm sorry he is not a good basketball player. He has very low IQ (shot selection, committing dumb fouls etc) and other than the occasional steal/charge he brings nothing to the table. If i were Ainge i would trade this guy for anyone. Addition by subtraction. I've had enough of him in a Celtics uniform. I'm posting this the day after he supposedly had a "good game" as well.

You categorize first team all defense as "the occasional steal/charge"?

What does first team all defense even mean? The eye test tells me that he cannot lock down a hot player on the opposing team when we absolutely positively need him to. So then what else is he getting accolades for besides hustling, drawing charges, and getting steals?

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Is that the eye test for 20:20 hindsight?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm sorry he is not a good basketball player. He has very low IQ (shot selection, committing dumb fouls etc) and other than the occasional steal/charge he brings nothing to the table. If i were Ainge i would trade this guy for anyone. Addition by subtraction. I've had enough of him in a Celtics uniform. I'm posting this the day after he supposedly had a "good game" as well.

You categorize first team all defense as "the occasional steal/charge"?

What does first team all defense even mean? The eye test tells me that he cannot lock down a hot player on the opposing team when we absolutely positively need him to. So then what else is he getting accolades for besides hustling, drawing charges, and getting steals?

Hustling ,drawing charges ,and getting steals are all hugely valuable defensive contributions.

What players around the league "lock down" opposing scorers on a regular basis?  I feel like you just don't really see that anymore.  The way they call the game and the way teams set up their defense means that great defense is more about teamwork, positioning, and timing to either shepherd guys to less advantageous spots on the floor or force ballhandlers into turnovers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2021, 10:05:42 PM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 223
The last sixers game showed that clearly we can't rely on Smart leading the team in critical 4th quarter, as again he went back to playing dumb hero balls. His tupid turnovers, stupid shot selection really killed our momentum to get back.

He is way overrated.

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Smart killed momentum when we got it down to 5. Bummer.

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:18 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
It's Ugly.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2021, 10:36:39 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'm a huge smart fan and I admit brad stevens has ruined this player.