Author Topic: Shams: Smart & Celtics will not agree to deal by deadline tonight (luxury tax)  (Read 9874 times)

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
If Smart has a decent season, there will be at least one team out there (BKLN, Mavs, PHIL?) that will pay him more than we will be willing to match. We have to pay Kyrie max deal a year later, so there just won't be enough bread to pay Smart what at least one team will offer him. Too bad.

Brooklyn will definitely not have cap space for like the next 3 years. If anything, look for them to take another big contract for a young player/draft asset like they did with DeAngelo Russell.
Dallas would probably not want to pursue Marcus, considering their bargain guards (curry and dennis smith). Likely to pursue a wing or big (nerlens noel).
Philly would rather save their money for Robert Covington.
Brooklyn has like 20 million in cap room if they waive their cap holds (no super valuable players there) and Carroll picks up his player option.  If Carroll opts out that gives them over 32 million.

Why would Carroll opt out of his contract of $15.4 million
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Smart has a decent season, there will be at least one team out there (BKLN, Mavs, PHIL?) that will pay him more than we will be willing to match. We have to pay Kyrie max deal a year later, so there just won't be enough bread to pay Smart what at least one team will offer him. Too bad.

Brooklyn will definitely not have cap space for like the next 3 years. If anything, look for them to take another big contract for a young player/draft asset like they did with DeAngelo Russell.
Dallas would probably not want to pursue Marcus, considering their bargain guards (curry and dennis smith). Likely to pursue a wing or big (nerlens noel).
Brooklyn has like 20 million in cap room if they waive their cap holds (no super valuable players there) and Carroll picks up his player option.  If Carroll opts out that gives them over 32 million.

Because he wants to sign a new deal at half that salary, obviously!

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I misread it, Lin has the player option not Carroll.  Lin's is like 12.5 million, which is why I think he might opt out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I misread it, Lin has the player option not Carroll.  Lin's is like 12.5 million, which is why I think he might opt out.

Highly doubt Lin will opt out for the same reason as Carroll.  He’s not going to have interest from anyone who can offer him more than the MLE.  The cap is going to rise substantially between 2018 and 2019, at the same time a lot more contracts come off the books.  That’s the summer to be a free agent, not this one.

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I think Smart will have the same issue KCP, Len and Noel had. He will have to sign his QO and go for Unrestrict money. Unless he blows the doors wide open, he will get no more than Gary Harris.
Time will tell.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think Smart will have the same issue KCP, Len and Noel had. He will have to sign his QO and go for Unrestrict money. Unless he blows the doors wide open, he will get no more than Gary Harris.
Time will tell.

One of those things is not like the other.  KCP is getting $17.75 mil this year.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the deadline comes around and Smart is still a woeful sub 40% from the field and sub 30% from 3, maybe Smart should be moved. Smart's gonna want Harris money no matter what he does this year and Danny is only going to offer him Roberson money if he can't shoot.

Wonder what Danny could get for Smart and a first rounder?
I don't understand how anyone can point to the Gary Harris contract as a comp here. It's delusional. Harris is a quality defender who scored 14.9 points a game, shot 50% from the field and was a 42% 3pt shooter.
I am not saying that I would give Smart the money Harris got. I am saying that Smart will want that type of money no matter what he does this year. Heck, I don't think Harris is worth the money he got. I think Denver made a huge mustake giving him thst much.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If the deadline comes around and Smart is still a woeful sub 40% from the field and sub 30% from 3, maybe Smart should be moved. Smart's gonna want Harris money no matter what he does this year and Danny is only going to offer him Roberson money if he can't shoot.

Wonder what Danny could get for Smart and a first rounder?
I don't understand how anyone can point to the Gary Harris contract as a comp here. It's delusional. Harris is a quality defender who scored 14.9 points a game, shot 50% from the field and was a 42% 3pt shooter.
I am not saying that I would give Smart the money Harris got. I am saying that Smart will want that type of money no matter what he does this year. Heck, I don't think Harris is worth the money he got. I think Denver made a huge mustake giving him thst much.
yeah. I didnt like that contract either and I agree that Marcus and his agent are definitely going to point to it.

Wish Harris hadnt gotten that deal because the other guys Smart would be comparable to all got really reasonable deals between 15 and 10 mil a year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/920330584454344704
Smart on no extension: "We thought it was close from fact that we didn't ask for much… They just weren't..."
And he said they offered a deal for the Celtics to not be so deep into the tax and Ainge still turned it down...
And Smart says now he is actually having a opportunity to earn more $

So you got the story

But you know what i still stand with and believe in Ainge because i know he is not doing this for himself and he will sell his son for the team

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Smart on no extension: "We thought it was close from fact that we didn't ask for much… They just weren't..."
And he said they offered a deal for the Celtics to not be so deep into the tax and Ainge still turned it down...

So you got the story

But you know what i still stand with and believe in Ainge because i know he is not doing this for himself and he will sell his son for the team

that doesn't sound good to me for some reason, i hope i'm just thinking too much into it but i hope we still retain Smart for long term

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

So you got the story

The bolded is the part in question. Without rookies and the MLE, the Cs have quite a bit of cap space to work with next offseason - is Smart saying that he was asking for like $20M/yr or was he taking into consideration the Lakers pick conveying and the Cs signing somebody with the MLE (and only asking for about $10-12M/yr)?

Either way, not a bad move from the Cs standpoint. I've always thought that it was a better move to wait than to sign Smart to a Hardaway/Harris type of contract without his offense improving greatly. At least now we know and all can head into the season with this no longer at the forefront.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Obviously it would have been better to sign him to a team-friendly contract, but remember, restricted free agents usually end up re-signing at below-market deals anyway. I don't take this as a signal that ownership is unwilling to pay tax and re-sign Smart; more likely, they just don't want to pay more tax than necessary, and think they can get a better deal next season.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If Smart gets offered 20+ a year -- and has actually earned it -- do the Celtics match?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

So you got the story

The bolded is the part in question. Without rookies and the MLE, the Cs have quite a bit of cap space to work with next offseason - is Smart saying that he was asking for like $20M/yr or was he taking into consideration the Lakers pick conveying and the Cs signing somebody with the MLE (and only asking for about $10-12M/yr)?

Either way, not a bad move from the Cs standpoint. I've always thought that it was a better move to wait than to sign Smart to a Hardaway/Harris type of contract without his offense improving greatly. At least now we know and all can head into the season with this no longer at the forefront.
without rookies or cap holds Boston is at a round 107 million already on the books which only like 15 million shy of the projected tax line.  Add on two rookies, one a high pick, and Boston is under 10 million from the tax
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
If Smart gets offered 20+ a year -- and has actually earned it -- do the Celtics match?

Only if the Lakers pick doesn’t convey to the Celtics this year.  That pick will cost between about $5.2 and $7.2 million next year, which will have a major impact on the team’s tax bill if they retain Smart.  My guess is the uncertainty surrounding that pick is a major reason a deal wasn’t completed.