Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"  (Read 11185 times)

Re: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
in what world is a guy who can't manage shoot above 37% in his first 4 seasons worth more than $10 million a season, regardless of how good his D is?

I like me some Smart, but he's a role player, and it usually doesn't help to overpay role players. This is the same reason Ainge didn't re-sign Posey after we won the title in 08.

sidenote: It would be tough to watch Smart on a low level team like the Suns or Kings. His special playmaking ability and hustle was meant to be watched in the playoffs when the stakes are high.

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
in what world is a guy who can't manage shoot above 37% in his first 4 seasons worth more than $10 million a season, regardless of how good his D is?

I like me some Smart, but he's a role player, and it usually doesn't help to overpay role players. This is the same reason Ainge didn't re-sign Posey after we won the title in 08.

sidenote: It would be tough to watch Smart on a low level team like the Suns or Kings. His special playmaking ability and hustle was meant to be watched in the playoffs when the stakes are high.
You'll notice we didn't win another ring once Posey left.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

more of that had to do with injury than anything else. Paying Posey $6 million plus a season would have hurt the teams flexibility and may have caused Danny to have to dismantle the team sooner than he did.

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Has anyone considered that we may resign him to use in a trade next summer? Ainge always thinks 3 moves ahead of others. People have talked about Davis or Leonard being the final trade target but it gets very expensive to match salary. Resigning Smart to a market rate deal could simply mean Ainge is loading up for a trade in 2019.

Think Smart at $13m, then the Sac pick, Yab and Brown for Davis. Not saying I do that deal but that's what it could look like.

Yup.

Exactly. I feel like a lot of the Smart/Rozier talk around here is all-nothing, either we sign them long-term or let them go. But we could do lots of other things. We could re-sign Smart and trade him next summer, and then re-sign Rozier, for example.

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

more of that had to do with injury than anything else. Paying Posey $6 million plus a season would have hurt the teams flexibility and may have caused Danny to have to dismantle the team sooner than he did.
Yeah, there are countless examples of teams overpaying role players and locking themselves into horrible cap situations.

Cleveland is a case study here. JR and Tristan getting contracts way too big.

That said, Cle doesn't get a ring without it. Perfect world, Wyc just pays through the nose.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.