Author Topic: Rockets welcome Carmelo with pics of him with Lin's jersey number..ouch  (Read 7889 times)

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Spoke to Lin's agents, Jim Tanner/Roger Montgomery, who say that Houston did NOT inform Lin that the No. 7 would be used for Melo images.

Wojo

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
That's pretty unprofessional of Houston, to be honest.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
A lot of you saying its not big deal don't think. The players take their numbers to heart and identify with it. What if we tried to recruit Melo with #34 while pierce was still captain (if melo wore 34 as well).  You can't tell me some of you wouldn't think that would be awkward.

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
A lot of you saying its not big deal don't think. The players take their numbers to heart and identify with it. What if we tried to recruit Melo with #34 while pierce was still captain (if melo wore 34 as well).  You can't tell me some of you wouldn't think that would be awkward.

Right..people would start a riot if Ainge was trying to recruit someone using #9 or #0.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Right..people would start a riot if Ainge was trying to recruit someone using #9 or #0.

Because those are, like, important players.

This is more like using Bogans' number in a 'shopped Melo.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Ainge repeatedly shopped Ray Allen, even told him it's a done deal, we're sending you elsewhere, and then oh wait, nope sorry, deal fell through......dont unpack your bags though.  Did he give someone Rays number before he left?  No, but he might as well have.

is this really THAT much more different??  It's a cut throat business and part of the game.
Greg

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

It's ultimately a business in the end. If Lin doesn't like it, he should request a trade.

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This is a list of the retired numbers and numbers of current players for Houston.

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 30, 32, 33, 34, 45

Carmelo has worn 7, 15 and 22.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Just because you don't like Lin doesn't make it equivalent to Bogans.

Either way, it's rude to do it to any person you currently employ. Speaks volumes to other lesser players you hope to attract in the future.

They pretty much crapped on Asik when they did it with Howard after telling him different when they brought him in. If I was one of the other 12 or so players needed to fill out their roster now and in the future, I would be wary of what they think of me... I'm just trash till the next man rolls around (the next man that they might not get in the first place).

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Either way, it's rude to do it to any person you currently employ. Speaks volumes to other lesser players you hope to attract in the future.

They pretty much crapped on Asik when they did it with Howard after telling him different when they brought him in. If I was one of the other 12 or so players needed to fill out their roster now and in the future, I would be wary of what they think of me... I'm just trash till the next man rolls around (the next man that they might not get in the first place).

Your job is only safe until the next big better thing comes along.  I promise you the Rockets arent the only team that acts this way.

I already posted about how we treated Ray Allen.  How about Leon Powe?  He played his heart out for us in the finals and we just dump him.....and if you remember correctly he was pretty upset about it.

Loyalty is rare in pro sports, if it makes you feel better, players can do the same thing.  Lebron James.  James Posey bolts after we win a title.  It happens

Greg

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Ainge repeatedly shopped Ray Allen, even told him it's a done deal, we're sending you elsewhere, and then oh wait, nope sorry, deal fell through......dont unpack your bags though.  Did he give someone Rays number before he left?  No, but he might as well have.

is this really THAT much more different??  It's a cut throat business and part of the game.
That's why at the end of the day he chose the Heat.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

It's not my feelings towards Lin: it's Houston's. Lin is not an important piece of the puzzle for the long-term future of the franchise.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

That's why at the end of the day he chose the Heat.

and thats why 90% of this board hates Ray Allen, yet were all shedding tears for Jeremy Lin.  I bet we'd all be happy for him too if he signed with Portland just so he could stick it to the Rockets.
Greg

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Your job is only safe until the next big better thing comes along.  I promise you the Rockets arent the only team that acts this way.

I already posted about how we treated Ray Allen.  How about Leon Powe?  He played his heart out for us in the finals and we just dump him.....and if you remember correctly he was pretty upset about it.

Loyalty is rare in pro sports, if it makes you feel better, players can do the same thing.  Lebron James.  James Posey bolts after we win a title.  It happens

We are not talking about loyalty, everyone can be traded, that is a part of the business but this isn't the same. Everyone knows you can be traded, no reason to get hurt feelings over that. I already said if I was Ray and I was TOLD I was traded but wasn't when said and done, I would be ticked too.

You think if they said to Lin, "we're trying to lure Melo, we are looking to trade you" it would be a big deal to Lin? No. They are using his jersey before he is even out the door, what do they say if they can't find someone to take Lin and don't sign Melo? They are publicly humiliating the dude for no reason, the jersey number won't matter to Melo in this case but it does to Lin.

So, if Houston was luring LeBron but used Melo's # you think it would still be no big deal? I'm sorry, it just doesn't matter who it is, you don't have to treat people like they are nothing, especially for the whole world to see.

Trading someone doesn't mean they are worthless, it could mean they are worth less than you want, they think, or they could be worth more or equal value. This is like saying he doesn't exist to them at all.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

We are not talking about loyalty, everyone can be traded, that is a part of the business but this isn't the same. Everyone knows you can be traded, no reason to get hurt feelings over that. I already said if I was Ray and I was TOLD I was traded but wasn't when said and done, I would be ticked too.

You think if they said to Lin, "we're trying to lure Melo, we are looking to trade you" it would be a big deal to Lin? No. They are using his jersey before he is even out the door, what do they say if they can't find someone to take Lin and don't sign Melo? They are publicly humiliating the dude for no reason, the jersey number won't matter to Melo in this case but it does to Lin.

So, if Houston was luring LeBron but used Melo's # you think it would still be no big deal? I'm sorry, it just doesn't matter who it is, you don't have to treat people like they are nothing, especially for the whole world to see.

Trading someone doesn't mean they are worthless, it could mean they are worth less than you want, they think, or they could be worth more or equal value. This is like saying he doesn't exist to them at all.

at the end of the day, if the rockets are going to bring in Melo, Lin will have to go.  You dont think he already knows that?  His future in Houston hinges on whether they can bring Melo in.  So really it isnt all that different of a circumstance than some pending trade. 

This however, is a lot more public, and yes it lacks class.  But I disagree with you that this just isnt part of the business.  Players and Teams get disrespected alllllll the time, this is just a different circumstance than we're all use to seeing.

The reason I say that this is just all part of the business, is that if Melo DOES come to Houston and they DO win a ring, all these fans that are all embarrassed and calling out team management wont care anymore.  It would be worth it to them in the end.
Greg