Author Topic: Derrick Williams Traded to the Kings  (Read 7909 times)

Derrick Williams Traded to the Kings
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10040488/minnesota-timberwolves-announce-derrick-williams-trade-sacramento-kings

I like this trade for the Kings, assuming they go ahead and start Williams next to Cousins, for better or for worse.  Williams needs to be given starter minutes at the power forward and a chance to prove that he can succeed there long term.  Playing next to a legit post scorer and rebounder like Cousins seems like a good fit for Derrick's perimeter oriented game.

As for the Wolves, they were in a tough spot.  They couldn't get much value for Williams unless they played him more, but they're trying to win games this year.  Getting a quality defensive role player like The Prince is not such a bad return, all things considered (though I am an unabashed fan of Luc so I'm biased).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Derrick Williams Traded to the Kings
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
speaks volumes about how bad a pick Williams was.  not quite as bad as Darko but not a good #2 pick

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hope Williams turns into a 18 and 10 guy from game 1 with Sacramento

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
speaks volumes about how bad a pick Williams was.  not quite as bad as Darko but not a good #2 pick

I disagree. The issue with DWill was that Minny already had K.Love, and he's really not cut out to play the 3. I think at age 22 and with his skillset, he still has a lot of potential. I like it for Sacto.

Now expect a Jason Thompson trade in 3, 2, 1....
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I disagree. The issue with DWill was that Minny already had K.Love, and he's really not cut out to play the 3. I think at age 22 and with his skillset, he still has a lot of potential. I like it for Sacto.

Now expect a Jason Thompson trade in 3, 2, 1....

I love it for SAC. They traded a guy who they would not use long-term for a shot at developing a guy who got drafted by the wrong team. I just hope he didn't get ruined by his time in Minny.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10040488/minnesota-timberwolves-announce-derrick-williams-trade-sacramento-kings

I like this trade for the Kings, assuming they go ahead and start Williams next to Cousins, for better or for worse.  Williams needs to be given starter minutes at the power forward and a chance to prove that he can succeed there long term.  Playing next to a legit post scorer and rebounder like Cousins seems like a good fit for Derrick's perimeter oriented game.

As for the Wolves, they were in a tough spot.  They couldn't get much value for Williams unless they played him more, but they're trying to win games this year.  Getting a quality defensive role player like The Prince is not such a bad return, all things considered (though I am an unabashed fan of Luc so I'm biased).
Brewer and Mbah is a strong defensive pair.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

And Love can hopefully stretch the floor enough to account for his complete lack of offense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

And Love can hopefully stretch the floor enough to account for his complete lack of offense.

Yeah, with Rubio, Brewer and Mbah starting do they have enough shooting/offense?

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 02:10:31 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yeah, with Rubio, Brewer and Mbah starting do they have enough shooting/offense?

Kevin Martin and Love get to jack up all the shots they want.

Seems strangely ideal.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

They would never be starting together. They have Martin, Love and Pekovic.
Furthermore Rubio has actually become a three point threat, while having troubles finishing anywhere else.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They would never be starting together. They have Martin, Love and Pekovic.
Furthermore Rubio has actually become a three point threat, while having troubles finishing anywhere else.
I wouldn't exactly call him a three-point threat -- he's making less than 1 per game, albeit at a better clip than previously.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Williams wasn't a good pick, but the number 2 pick has had a lot of stinkers.

Beasley, Thabeet, Darko, etc.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I like it for Minny. I don't really get it for Sac. Presumably you could trade the Fresh Prince to a contender before the deadline for a late 1st. I'd rather have that than Williams, who just isn't going to turn into anything...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I like it for Minny. I don't really get it for Sac. Presumably you could trade the Fresh Prince to a contender before the deadline for a late 1st. I'd rather have that than Williams, who just isn't going to turn into anything...

I think you are vastly over-rating the willingness of teams to part with a late first. 

Sacramento is selling off everyone except Cousins and McLemore.  For people who want Ainge to dump veterans for whatever he can get, this is what a fire sale looks like.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think the deal makes some sense for both teams.

Obviously, Mbah a Moute is not a core piece of the Kings going forward, and getting a chance to rehabilitate the (barely started) career of a former #2 pick is a low-risk move. However, the Kings are going to have to devote the necessary resources to develop Williams. Part of that will mean giving him minutes, perhaps even if he hasn't earned them, and the Kings are crowded in the frontcourt. They also need help at SF now, having traded probably their best option there. So a follow-up move is badly needed for roster balance.

Wolves fill a position of need with a smart and gutty defender. Mbah a Moute can play either forward spot for them as needed, giving them some good depth. It won't elevate them above the rest of the West, but it's a good move towards strengthening the roster.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague