Author Topic: Philadelphia scares me...  (Read 5306 times)

Re: Philadelphia scares me...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If they are able to move on Kawhi Leonard with a package of Covington/Fultz/Pick 10 for Kawhi Leonard + spare parts. Philly would still have close to enough room to grab Lebron James with a couple of moves.

This would leave Philly with this line-up:

Ben Simmons
Kawhi Leonard
Lebron James
Dario Saric
Joel Embiid

Plus Richaun Holmes, TJ McConell + whatever spare parts they could attract via free agency (i.e. The Lebron Factor).

I thought I came across this idea originally today but did some due diligence and found this thread.  TP.  I'm surprised people think that's a bad haul for SA.  I thought Covington + #10 alone was enough to get the deal done.

Covington is one of the elite 3 and D guys in the NBA -- a skillset the Spurs organization has coveted in their SFs for the last 20 years.  He's 27 years old, entering his NBA prime, and is locked up for the next 4 years on a very team friendly contract.

If Philly has confidence that Lebron will follow, then Philly should be confident enough that Kawhi will resign to offer this package.

What other team in the NBA has a better package than this for Kawhi without the guarantee that he resigns?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think there is zero chance Pop would be happy with Covington plus #10 for a top 5 player. That is weak. I don't care what you say about Covington but my recollection of the playoffs is that Covington stinks and had zero impact against the Celts. I doubt the Celts will offer it but I would much rather have Jaylen than Covington so the Celts can beat it if they want to.

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think there is zero chance Pop would be happy with Covington plus #10 for a top 5 player. That is weak. I don't care what you say about Covington but my recollection of the playoffs is that Covington stinks and had zero impact against the Celts. I doubt the Celts will offer it but I would much rather have Jaylen than Covington so the Celts can beat it if they want to.

Same way I see it too.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I don't get these threads at all.

Opposing fans should look at how much talent we have, our youth, still having potential high draft picks in the future, and that should scare them.

Celtic fans should be eager for the future, not worrying about it.

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't get why people think that Covington + #10 is a horrendous offer "for a top 5 nba player", but also doubt the Celts would offer Jaylen Brown for the same player.  Sure, I think Jaylen would be the better offer as well.  But the deal would have to be expanded since contracts don't match and you even said you doubt the Celts offer that.  Many teams have players like Porzingis, Towns, Donovon Mitchell, etc. that SA would gladly take over this Philly package, but they also aren't offering that.  So I'm asking what better offer is SA going to get under the assumption that Kawhi might not resign.

I don't get these threads at all.

Opposing fans should look at how much talent we have, our youth, still having potential high draft picks in the future, and that should scare them.

Celtic fans should be eager for the future, not worrying about it.
Oh, I'm thrilled about the Celtics present and future and think that we are a team that can contend with GSW right now.  I just think Philly could be a third team if they make this happen.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If they are able to move on Kawhi Leonard with a package of Covington/Fultz/Pick 10 for Kawhi Leonard + spare parts. Philly would still have close to enough room to grab Lebron James with a couple of moves.

Ben Simmons
Kawhi Leonard
Lebron James
Dario Saric
Joel Embiid

Plus Richaun Holmes, TJ McConell + whatever spare parts they could attract via free agency (i.e. The Lebron Factor).

I thought I came across this idea originally today but did some due diligence and found this thread.  TP.  I'm surprised people think that's a bad haul for SA.  I thought Covington + #10 alone was enough to get the deal done.

Covington is one of the elite 3 and D guys in the NBA -- a skillset the Spurs organization has coveted in their SFs for the last 20 years.  He's 27 years old, entering his NBA prime, and is locked up for the next 4 years on a very team friendly contract.

If Philly has confidence that Lebron will follow, then Philly should be confident enough that Kawhi will resign to offer this package.

What other team in the NBA has a better package than this for Kawhi without the guarantee that he resigns?

Covington turns 28 a month into the season and is paid 45 million over the next 4 years. If a team is really competing and desperate for defense he can be an ok asset, but he is probably best served as a bench player. For a team like the Spurs that won't be competing the next year or two he is pretty useless and not a good use of 45 million dollars.

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Ben Simmons
Kawhi Leonard
Lebron James
Dario Saric
Joel Embiid

Covington turns 28 a month into the season and is paid 45 million over the next 4 years. If a team is really competing and desperate for defense he can be an ok asset, but he is probably best served as a bench player. For a team like the Spurs that won't be competing the next year or two he is pretty useless and not a good use of 45 million dollars.

Covington is Jae Crowder on a bigger contract. He doesn't play as big as his size and he doesn't have the quickness to defend guards on the perimeter. He can defend wings and swing at a really high level, but his shooting is really inconsistent.

Is Jae Crowder + 10 pick enough for Leonard?

Was Jae Crowder + 8 pick enough for Irving?

Most would argue Leonard is a better player, which means you are getting a worse package for a better player.

Saric is the key to that trade. If the Spurs really like Saric (I like him, but I'm not sure how much), he might make it worth it.