Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 49810 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think we need to hear more from Minnesota.

What is the guard rotation like?
LeBron: SF, or PF?

I don't really need to hear more from Minny.  They have LeBron, nobody else does.

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
How terrific will the games between PDX and OKC be?

PG: Brandon Jennings vs. Derrick Rose
SG: Joe Johnson vs. Ben Gordon
SF: Carmelo Anthony vs. Iman Shumpert
PF: Andrei Kirilenko vs. Taj Gibson
 C: Andrew Bynum/Enes Kanter vs. Dwight Howard

Fantastic one-on-one matchups. Really exciting, I think. Might have to bring in Budinger to cover Joe Johnson.

Put Taj Gibson on Melo + Shumpert on JJ + Budinger on AK-47.

Yep, that's another way to go. Shump on JJ probably will have the greater disruptive effect on Portland's offense.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Denver vs. OKC also looks pretty good too:

PG: Damian Lillard vs. Derrick Rose
SG: Courtney Lee vs. Iman Shumpert
SF: Wilson Chandler vs. Chase Budinger
PF: Greg Monroe vs. Taj Gibson
C:  Andrew Bogut/Andy Varejao vs. Dwight Howard

Again, might switch Budinger and Shumpert's defensive assignments, due to Chandler's strength.

I wouldn't be worried about C.Budinger on W.Chandler.

Wilson Chandler isn't dynamic enough offensively to make you change defensive assignments. And anyways, if you are worried about muscle and they are running post ups for W.Chandler, it won't be hard to send help from PF or C since their bigs don't have jump-shots and you have two of the most athletic help + recover big men in the league in Taj Gibson and Dwight Howard.

However, I would probably switch Shumpert and D-Rose back and forth on guard assignments to give Damian Lillard different looks at PG since he is their best creator offensively. I think Shumpert with his size and length can cause problems for PGs who aren't used to facing such defenders.

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Again, might switch Budinger and Shumpert's defensive assignments, due to Chandler's strength.

I'd buy me some front court seats on that.

The fireworks Rose and Lillard would put together would be insane. Denver will contain Dwight Howard though, Lucky. I just had to say it. We'll throw in everything down low to make sure he get's "no easy layups".
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94

I don't really need to hear more from Minny.  They have LeBron, nobody else does.

Can LeBron share the ball with Monte Ellis or should I say can Ellis share with Lebron?
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I'd say you're right, if there weren't a half-decade of evidence from LeBron's Cleveland years.

What was the best supporting cast LeBron had there? Was it the 2008-09 team? How do these Wolves compare?

« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
2008-09 Cavs (66-16, lost ECF)
PG: Mo Williams/Daniel Gibson
SG: Delonte West/Sasha Pavlovic
SF: LeBron/Wally Szczerbiak
PF: Ben Wallace/Joe Smith
C:  Zydrunus Ilgauskas/Andy Varejao

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809CLE.HTM
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:06:34 PM by Lucky17 »

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'd say you're right, if there weren't a half-decade of evidence from LeBron's Cleveland years.

What was the best supporting cast LeBron had there? Was it the 2008-09 team? How do these Wolves compare?

Outside of Ellis, who I hate (but is still better than anyone Cleveland had), I'd say favorably.

Chalmers and Battier have championship pedigree, and even though I feel Ibaka is slightly over-rated, he's still a very good small-ball complement for end-of-game lineups.  Ibaka is still better than anyone on those Cleveland teams, and a very good player.

The defense is just so good here.  I'm sure whatever issues Ellis has with his chucking ways, will be mitigated by LeBron's dominance.

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I wouldn't be worried about C.Budinger on W.Chandler.

Wilson Chandler isn't dynamic enough offensively to make you change defensive assignments. And anyways, if you are worried about muscle and they are running post ups for W.Chandler, it won't be hard to send help from PF or C since their bigs don't have jump-shots and you have two of the most athletic help + recover big men in the league in Taj Gibson and Dwight Howard.

However, I would probably switch Shumpert and D-Rose back and forth on guard assignments to give Damian Lillard different looks at PG since he is their best creator offensively. I think Shumpert with his size and length can cause problems for PGs who aren't used to facing such defenders.

Not dynamic? Chandler will beat you by shooting, off the dribble, off the ball and in transition. Just ask Kevin Durant, the Bulls, Rockets, Lakers and the Spurs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781N_Pd6oWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCuWijoWMY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOw1PoJ9VoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMmJQ1yhew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9vEbJYYvF4

exactly proving my point that he's being overlooked.

And while OKC can switch around against Lillard, we can do the same not only against Rose with Lee, Lillard and Lowry but with Dwight as well (Varejao, Bogut).

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
The defense is just so good here.  I'm sure whatever issues Ellis has with his chucking ways, will be mitigated by LeBron's dominance.

I don't think anyone questions their defense. It's their offense that is a huge, huge question mark.

« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'll be even more persistent and say, I just don't see why not.

There's enough floor stretching on this team. I've defended and provided proof of Bogut's high PnR play.

And even if the lane is congested, just look at Monroe. He's able to finish in traffic with a tight paint. I really dont see why it's not going to work mainly because both of them have bad midrange games.

Because they'll both sag off of Bogut (much like McGee does in that vid you posted), and Monroe, and both be available to help. Spacing issues is real deals man.

And let say it does bother Monroe, spacing wise (not that it's going to happen but just for the sake of argument). Okay fine, Riley will call Varejao in, who's a good shooter from midrange. Solved.

Hm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to think on that. Varejao hasn't actually been a power forward since before Big Z left town, but hmmm.

By the time they sag off on Bogut, it'll be too late, as he already dropped a pass on an open Monroe. Just saying.

And as for Andy, he played with Tyler Zeller on certain spots didn't he. Might help the argument.

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

There's enough floor stretching on this team. I've defended and provided proof of Bogut's high PnR play.

And even if the lane is congested, just look at Monroe. He's able to finish in traffic with a tight paint. I really dont see why it's not going to work mainly because both of them have bad midrange games.

Because they'll both sag off of Bogut (much like McGee does in that vid you posted), and Monroe, and both be available to help. Spacing issues is real deals man.

And let say it does bother Monroe, spacing wise (not that it's going to happen but just for the sake of argument). Okay fine, Riley will call Varejao in, who's a good shooter from midrange. Solved.

Hm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to think on that. Varejao hasn't actually been a power forward since before Big Z left town, but hmmm.

By the time they sag off on Bogut, it'll be too late, as he already dropped a pass on an open Monroe. Just saying.

And as for Andy, he played with Tyler Zeller on certain spots didn't he. Might help the argument.
Why would it be too late? If one of your big men can't punish teams for leaving them open for jumpshots they're going to clog the paint to prevent easy post touches?

Even high level nifty high post passing will suffer from this. (see Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard and both of those players are better than Bogut/Monroe)

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Why would it be too late? If one of your big men can't punish teams for leaving them open for jumpshots they're going to clog the paint to prevent easy post touches?

Even high level nifty high post passing will suffer from this. (see Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard and both of those players are better than Bogut/Monroe)

It will be late. Bogut will bring in the pass if the defense collapses on him.

Clog the lanes and give Bogut enough space and he will dribble and he will explode and finish, that has been his game ever since. He's done that the entire Spurs series, although he missed the shots because he's hrut. But when he puts the ball on the floor, he's a dual threat. You commit, he pass. You dont and he goes for the hoop. Thats Andrew Bogut.

As to the Lakers, why Pau didn't exploit his handles I would never know. But this is a team coached by Pat Riley. And Riley knows what Bogut can do on high pick and rolls, and it will work.

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Outside of Ellis, who I hate (but is still better than anyone Cleveland had), I'd say favorably.

Chalmers and Battier have championship pedigree, and even though I feel Ibaka is slightly over-rated, he's still a very good small-ball complement for end-of-game lineups.  Ibaka is still better than anyone on those Cleveland teams, and a very good player.

Wow. Last season, when he was paired with another ball dominant player (Jennings), Monta Ellis' eFG% on jump shots was 0.379.

The prior season, next to Stephen Curry, it was 0.429. That was actually a pretty good year for Monta (his career best was 0.436).

For sake of comparison, Mo Williams' eFG% on jumpers during that 2008-09 season: 0.545. Mario Chalmers, last season, hit jumpers at an eFG% of 0.535.

All stats via 82games.com.

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Wow. Last season, when he was paired with another ball dominant player (Jennings), Monta Ellis' eFG% on jump shots was 0.379.

The prior season, next to Stephen Curry, it was 0.429. That was actually a pretty good year for Monta (his career best was 0.436).

For sake of comparison, Mo Williams' eFG% on jumpers during that 2008-09 season: 0.545. Mario Chalmers, last season, hit jumpers at an eFG% of 0.535.

All stats via 82games.com.

Adding to this, Ellis shot just 38.5% on spot-up jumpers last season. I really don't like his fit alongside Lebron on the offensive end.