Author Topic: Chad Ford's First Mock Draft  (Read 21805 times)

Re: Chad Ford's First Mock Draft
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I completely agree with the sentiment that our immediate needs will be met by free agents more than draft picks. This year our bench needs were filled by free agents who only had an idea of how good the Celtics would be (besides Cassell, and PJ). This year's crop of free agents at the very least will be able to look towards the best record in the NBA and at the very least the eastern conference finals to entice them. My point is that while everyone has been happy with our free agents this year, next years group of free agents (who will probably take less money to win) should blow last years guys out of the water thus satisfying our needs.
As far as drafting a euro and stashing him overseas I'm not a fan of that. I'm under the impression that 99% of the euros who succeed in this league at least come to the us right away. Scola is a good example but I don't think you can throw Splitter on the list until he actually comes here. The last player to get stashed away and come to the US with a real great game in my opinion was Sabonis. I could be completely wrong in my thinking and lots of players that were stashed for a few years came over and contributed strongly but none currently come to mind. If anyone knows any such names I would appreciate to know them

I dont agree with this statement at all. I am not in favor of reshuffling the deck every year with different free agents. One of the reasons people are talking so highly now about the Pistons is because of the continuity they have developed over the years while adding a piece here and a piece there. I advocate us sticking to our core of players(free agents included)and losing maybe 1 or 2 guys replacing them with our rookie draft pick and 1 or 2 free agents. Even if its for 3 years, we need stability.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I really believe we'll sign and trade Tony this year.  I wonder how far we could move up in the draft with our pick + Tony.  If we do not move up in the draft, I could still see him being moved.  If we draft someone like Rush, then I think the writing's on the wall for TA.  Either way, Pruett is going to be somewhere in the rotation next year.  Tony won't be around.

maybe to 29??

Seriously though, why would anyone sign and trade for Tony Allen, and actually give up value (and why would the C's take on extra salary, unless it is legit value)?

Tony is a guy who has yet to prove anything in this league.  He has been as inconsistent as they come.

If a team wanted him that much, they could just give him a decent contract (say, 3 years, $10 million), and the C's likely wouldn't even match it.

You might be right, however I doubt Danny will let him walk without getting something in return, even if it's a future second round pick.  Tony's shown promise from time to time.  And you gotta admit, people have given up much more for far less in this league. 

One can only hope, dream, or whatever.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I had another thought, although it's slightly off-point: I betcha Danny makes a play for Robert Swift this offseason to plug the hole at reserve Center.  Once Danny gets infatuated, he stays infatuated.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Ante Tomic?? With the 30th pick?   ???

I strongly disagree, it makes no sense. Even if we go for an european prospect to draft'n'stash (and I can't see Ainge doing that with a 1st round pick), Tomic with the 30th wouldn't be the best choice. He's not Splitter or Gasol. Ajinca would make more sense if he falls that far; Casspi, Tomic, those turkish kids from Fenerbahce or that u-19 center from FMP would be very nice fits with the 60th. But why the heck would one draft Tomic ahead of Pekovic? Just because he's taller? They're about the same age, Pekovic is the better player by far, he always was, he's already dominating at the highest level in Europe, and although they'd both be defensive liabilities, Pekovic is the one with the body and the game type to play in the NBA  - too bad he seems more interested in making money than in flying to America -, while it's far from a sure thing that Tomic will develop his body enough.

I'm okay with drafting a backup C with the 30th. But it's got to be a "ready to contribute" one. If you want an european, talk Pekovic to suit up next season and draft him; if he doesn't buy it, then go for a college player.

Anyway, the best we could get from Europe right now would be one of the CSKA's guards through free agency. But we don't have the money to try that...

As far as drafting a euro and stashing him overseas I'm not a fan of that. I'm under the impression that 99% of the euros who succeed in this league at least come to the us right away. Scola is a good example but I don't think you can throw Splitter on the list until he actually comes here. The last player to get stashed away and come to the US with a real great game in my opinion was Sabonis.

There's also this guy named Manu Ginobilli(not technically an euro, but stashed in Europe anyway).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:42:25 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The only problem is that Scola and Ginobili are NOT Europeans.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As far as drafting a euro and stashing him overseas I'm not a fan of that. I'm under the impression that 99% of the euros who succeed in this league at least come to the us right away. Scola is a good example but I don't think you can throw Splitter on the list until he actually comes here. The last player to get stashed away and come to the US with a real great game in my opinion was Sabonis. I could be completely wrong in my thinking and lots of players that were stashed for a few years came over and contributed strongly but none currently come to mind. If anyone knows any such names I would appreciate to know them

Speaking of foreigners, rather than just Euros, there are:

Scola
Sabonis
Ginobli
Radja
J.C. Navarro
Tony Kukoc
Drazen Petrovic

Tiego Splitter and Rudy Fernandez are legit prospects who should come over in a year or two.  I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 09:57:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The only problem is that Scola and Ginobili are NOT Europeans.

Yeps, I've corrected myself right after I've posted. But they learn to play in Europe, Scola was in Europe for years when he was drafted. And there are Kukoc, Navarro, and the mighty Radja.

p.s. - Join Kirilenko and Okur to the list.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
From Kansas: Billy Walker is an NBA talent, but he's a headcase. Might be a good pick to fit into the strong veteran personalities here, but he's also a guy who hurt Kansas State at times with his petulant play on the floor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I had another thought, although it's slightly off-point: I betcha Danny makes a play for Robert Swift this offseason to plug the hole at reserve Center.  Once Danny gets infatuated, he stays infatuated.

Little off topic, but we really need to thank Seattle for taking Swift. There was a good chance that Danny woulda took Swift over Jefferson if he was available. And if that happen we would be talking about drafting O.J. Mayo right now. Love Danny and all he has done but some times you just need luck to make the right choice.

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ford is usually pretty accurate, at least at the top of the first round, on his mocks. He was the one guy who pointed out the Celtics' jones for Rondo, even having us take him at 7 in his earlier mocks. I think he is dead wrong on the Bulls taking Beasley over Rose.  No way.

I hope Danny can somehow figure out a way to get Brandon Rush. He would be a great back-up to Ray for the next couple of years, and a decent starter in a few.  I would offer Pruit and our 1st round pick to move up to take him, somewhere in the twenties.

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Danny Ainge isn't going to draft Anton Tomic. I wonder where Ford got that name LOL?  Another Ainge smokescreen, or a favor to an agent?

As Cordobes says, Pekovic is a much better player.  So is Ajinca, who does not appear anywhere in Ford's mock.  And there are so many other problems with Ford's mock that I don't know where to begin.

The best mock I've seen so far is the one on DraftExpress, although I have issues with that one too. For starters, Bill Walker is too low.  Walker reminds me a little of Caron Butler.  The kid can play.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2008/

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Danny Ainge isn't going to draft Anton Tomic. I wonder where Ford got that name LOL?  Another Ainge smokescreen, or a favor to an agent?

As Cordobes says, Pekovic is a much better player.  So is Ajinca, who does not appear anywhere in Ford's mock.  And there are so many other problems with Ford's mock that I don't know where to begin.

The best mock I've seen so far is the one on DraftExpress, although I have issues with that one too. For starters, Bill Walker is too low.  Walker reminds me a little of Caron Butler.  The kid can play.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2008/

Bill Walker should be our man. If he's there how do you not pick the guy, need or no need.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
With the emergence of young PGs in the NBA, there's suddenly an infatuation with them... and with the infatuation there has always been to draft big guys, I can see someone like Bill Walker fall into our laps, among other big sg/sf that could fit nicely for us.  Make it happen.

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I still want Nathan Jawai for the Celtics. I believe he could give Perk a run for his money.

If there`s a wing player that could replace Tony Allen, I wouldn`t be mad, either.

Anyway, I trust Ainge to pick the right guy. He has always been a very good drafter in the late first round.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
We don't need rookies.

Ainge should be targeting Mo Evans with the MLE as the Tony Allen replacement.

As far as the Big man/post player, well, Ainge better work his magic...
God bless and good night!