Author Topic: Possible #30 picks  (Read 48185 times)

Re: Possible #30 picks
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
For a while now I have been thinking that the best value at the end of the first round is with wings...and I still do to a point, but as the college season has wound down, and I have started to look closer at prospects, I think there are some very viable big men who might be great options for us at 30. 

For me, when you are looking for big men in the C's system, the most important things to look for are mobility, hustle, and intelligence/feel for the game.  With the perimeter players that the C's have, any big man will get a lot of open dunks/layups on offense, so the important thing for them is that they have the mobility and intelligence to play the C's team defense, and the drive to compete like the rest of the team.

From doing a little research, I have found the following guys who COULD be available somewhere around where we are picking.  Some will likely go higher, some might not even be in the draft, but these are the big guys I would look at with #30.

1. Robin Lopez - overshadowed by his brother, who is a much better offensive player, but Robin is the one who can come in and make a difference defensively and on the boards right away.

2. Trent Plaisted - great athlete, who could really surprise some people.  Reminds me a little bit of David Lee coming out of Florida.

3. Ante Tomic - Everyone talks about Thabeet, but Tomic is the real "potential" guy.  He is 7'2", and skilled like a guard.  He is even producing on a major team in Croatia at the age of 21.  He still needs to really put some weight on, but he could be the perfect pick, because he could be stored over in Europe for a couple years, and they could use his salary and roster spot for an extra veteran.  When he comes over, he could be a star.

4. J.J. Hickson - lottery talent, but might come out too early and slide to us.  He has prototypical PF size and athleticism.  Generally I don't like these guys who are all about potential, but I have confidence in anyone learning to play the PF spot on this team.  There is just such a good group to learn from.

5. Javale McGee - Basically in the same boat as Hickson, but is a 7 footer.

Guys like Hibbert and Ogilvy, I wouldn't go near.  I think Ogilvy will be a better player than Hibbert, but I don't think either would be a good fit for this team.

I'm also not convinced Danny will take a wing.....

What about Devon Hardin or Jason Thompson??  They are in our range (first round) as of this moment........Along with Hickson, who looks like a very worthwhile project.....

Plaisted and Kaun are slotted closer to our second-round pick than first.....both seem like risks at 30 in the first round....
McGee and Lopez both look to be gone if the draft sites are on target.....

I can't believe Darell Arthur is slotted at 19 and 23 by nbadraft.net and draft express!  I would think late lottery for sure!  No?

Like your thinking on Ante Tomic, though it means postponing instant gratification and the fun of watching a new guy next year....but that's happily the state of the Celts....it's going to be fun drafting with the air of a satisfied cat instead of the usual desperado status we've grown used to....

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'm also not convinced Danny will take a wing.....

What about Devon Hardin or Jason Thompson??  They are in our range (first round) as of this moment........Along with Hickson, who looks like a very worthwhile project.....

Plaisted and Kaun are slotted closer to our second-round pick than first.....both seem like risks at 30 in the first round....
McGee and Lopez both look to be gone if the draft sites are on target.....

I can't believe Darell Arthur is slotted at 19 and 23 by nbadraft.net and draft express!  I would think late lottery for sure!  No?

Like your thinking on Ante Tomic, though it means postponing instant gratification and the fun of watching a new guy next year....but that's happily the state of the Celts....it's going to be fun drafting with the air of a satisfied cat instead of the usual desperado status we've grown used to....

It is too early to put too much stock in those draft sites.  Right now they are all over the place (I also use Chad Fords ratings as well).

I have a feeling that Plaisted will shoot up draft boards once he gets in for workouts (he also may play in a predraft camp).  He just seems like a sleeper to me.

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2008, 01:07:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
...it's going to be fun drafting with the air of a satisfied cat instead of the usual desperado status we've grown used to....
TP for the imagery.

Brandon Rush would make for a nice backup on the Cs if he is still around at #30.  Same for Hansbrough.  DeVon Hardin and Ryan Anderson are worth a look. I'll pass on Joey Dorsey, but I am intrigued by the overseas bigs (Jawai and Pekovic).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
One thing's for sure: I'm not going to second-guess any Danny Ainge draft pick!  If it were me, I'd be tempted to pick a Euro big and keep him overseas for further seasoning, like what San Antonio often does.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
One thing's for sure: I'm not going to second-guess any Danny Ainge draft pick!  If it were me, I'd be tempted to pick a Euro big and keep him overseas for further seasoning, like what San Antonio often does.

Agree completely.

And I was just thinking about this, and I really think I see a little bit of Ainge's success.  He rarely seems to overthink things with draft picks.  He doesn't ussually reach for someone based on position, and he doesn't go for the glamorous pick or the "sleeper" pick.  It seems like the majority of his picks have been relatively unassuming.  They haven't been picks that make the "experts" talk, but at the end of the day, you look and realize that he got a bunch of solid players.  He takes who drops to him, or if he doesn't like them, he takes someone else he likes. 

You always read about how he likes these obscure players, but somehow he never ends up with them, and it ussually works out well.

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2008, 01:41:52 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That Jason Thompson kid sounds pretty interesting.  He averaged 20/12 and 2.7 blocks per game.  Basically a better version of Perkins that can score?  Sign me up if he can show some decent hands for a big guy.  I was really kicking myself watching the Celts-Wizards game when Perkins kept fouling up pass after pass from KG that should have been easy flushes if he had caught them.

Here are the stats on Thompson:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=23138

The nice thing is that he has gotten better every year and is a 4 year senior, so he should be a fairly polished player.
I could see him developing as a backup to Perkins and maybe, if he develops well even taking over at the 5 for the C's in a couple of years.

This is a little interview session with the prospect.  Seems to have a humble attitude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spSrzGkIzz0

This clip doesn't show off much except for his vertical.  He can get up pretty high above the rim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfiB_1lgNI

Jason Thompson plays some ball with some random dude.  Funny stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiIGU4hIAs

Jason Thompson in another interview with the same guy he played ball with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8WWuUppN0

Not a lot of other clips on him at the moment.  More info will probably come up around draft time.
I'm not sure he'll slip to #30, might need a small trade up to get him, but would probably be worth it to get another center to rotate with Perkins who has some athleticism to his game.

DraftExpress has him going at #28.  Here's their write up on him.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jason-Thompson-594/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:48:22 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Even though I have never seen him play, I dont want Jason Thompson just for one reason:
According to Draftexpress: Best case "Mark Blount"  :'(

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Even though I have never seen him play, I dont want Jason Thompson just for one reason:

I think we should get the biggest guy we can get who can get his own shot.

No Mark Blount  :o

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen

LOL, I've never seen Mark Blount with ups like that or move like that.  So I wouldn't worry about the player comparisons.

Here's another idea.  How about Chalmers at #30?  He's pretty fast, a good defender, and can also shoot the outside J pretty well, 51% from the field and 46% from 3 point range.  He'd be a nice guy to rotate with Rondo.  And let's face it, Cassell is probably going to retire after he gets another ring.  and who knows anything about Pruitt?

Here is NBAdraft.net's evaluation.  They give him a score of 91.  He also had a sensational NCAA tourney, so I think he's worth looking into.
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/mariochalmers.html

Here are some blog notes on Chalmer by Draftexpress.  They project Chalmers to go #28 in the draft now.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mario-Chalmers-278/

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a young PG duo featuring Rondo and Chalmers.  Pitting the opponent against two PGs that can both play relentless defense, steal the ball/cause turnovers could really wear down the opposing PG.  And their games are different enough, with Rondo being more of a drive and dish guy, and Chalmers more of a step back and launch it guy, that they can compliment each other.  I think part of the Celtics' success is predicated on their marked improvement in defense this year.  Chalmers would be more of the same, with an outside jumper to boot.  And more of the same, could be a good thing.  :)

And I'm sure nobody can forget this shot... but let's see it again.  Chalmers = clutch?  Oh yeah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEkk_Ot2xwo&feature=related
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:07:21 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2008, 12:50:23 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Kosta Koufos, anyone?

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2008, 02:28:43 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Kosta Koufos, anyone?

A soft seven-foot project? No thanks.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2008, 03:05:37 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Kosta Koufos, anyone?
Very interesting player

He's a project though, not in terms of skill set as much as understanding what to use, when to use it, and where to use it. His skills need more polish too but there's a nice foundation there. Could become a very nice player down the road.

Is that the type of player the Celtics should draft? Could be good for the future. Not so much for the present, someone else could help more short term. Unlikely to be a good fit with KG here over the next 2-3 years, but could be a solid backup to Perk, he'd offer something very different.

His future comes down to hard and how smart do you think he trains. Could be a player, could be a waste of space. It's possible to call him a potential steal and potential bust in the same sentence.

I like Koufos. Not sure I like him for here. Longer term draft choice for whoever picks him up. He needs work.

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Kosta Koufos, anyone?
Very interesting player

He's a project though, not in terms of skill set as much as understanding what to use, when to use it, and where to use it. His skills need more polish too but there's a nice foundation there. Could become a very nice player down the road.

Is that the type of player the Celtics should draft? Could be good for the future. Not so much for the present, someone else could help more short term. Unlikely to be a good fit with KG here over the next 2-3 years, but could be a solid backup to Perk, he'd offer something very different.

His future comes down to hard and how smart do you think he trains. Could be a player, could be a waste of space. It's possible to call him a potential steal and potential bust in the same sentence.

I like Koufos. Not sure I like him for here. Longer term draft choice for whoever picks him up. He needs work.

I am a Koufos fan.  I think he is one of the most talented big men in college basketball.  He definitely does still need some coaching (I don't know if he is really getting a ton at Ohio St.), but he has the skills, athleticism and body to be an elite player.  And he isn't nearly as soft as some people think.

One thing is for sure though, I can't see any way he would be available at 30.  I don't see him entering the draft unless he is a lottery pick.

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Kosta Koufos, anyone?

A soft seven-foot project? No thanks.

Why do you think he`s soft? Did you have an interview with him?
Because he is more of a finesse player?

Or is it because his name is not Jack Hammer?

Sorry man, it`s just that every prospect with a foreign name gets the label "soft" at the start of his career. Not only by you, I read it so often, and it`s so often wrong, that I think this is just a clichee.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
Koufos'inability to use his left hand is listed as a glaring weakness.  He needs to work on that first.  I wouldn't take him with earlier than a 2nd round pick in this years draft.  If he develops a left handed shot, he'll be a first rounder for sure in 2009.

Koufos’ post game is fairly limited, though, in that his repertoire doesn’t extend much beyond here, primarily because he has no left hand to speak of. Koufos will rarely try to turn off his right shoulder, and when he does, it usually results in a turnaround jumper with his right hand at an awkward angle, that’s also prone to being blocked. No matter how close he is to the rim and no matter how obvious it may be that using his left hand is the best option, he simply never does it. This predictability about his post game leads to some problems as well, resulting in some of his right-handed hook shots being blocked by smaller opponents, because most teams know its coming.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kosta-Koufos-1070/

So no love for Chalmers here, huh?