Author Topic: Possible #30 picks  (Read 48172 times)

Re: Possible #30 picks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 05:21:39 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Tyler Hansbrough= Dave Cowens

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
My 2 favs are Hansborough and Dorsey.  Can't say i'd think they would be good selections though, considering what we've seen out of Baby and Powe.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 05:42:05 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I doubt Bill Walker would come out if he was projected as the 30th pick, but if he is indeed available he would be a great pick.  We could groom him to be Allen's successor at the 2.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I know absolutely diddly about College basket or about players other than the quick reads i do every blue moon. Bill Walker sounds like a good replacement for Tony, IMO.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well I think Ainge has proven (and his scouts) that a late pick can turn into a good pick so I'll let him come up with it.
That said I think we need to look to Europe for a vet pg (unless sam would be back next year at age 50?)

I think Sam wants to come back next year, so if things work out this season, I wouldnt be surprised for him to return for a farewell tour.  There also are some other solid options out there as backup PG's such as Duhon, Lue, and Anthony Johnson.  I even expect Pruitt to get some run at the point next year.  So I don't see us addressing that in the draft or with international players.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
1.  Patrick Patterson
Maybe I broke the rules here, but he's not really considered a super high pick right now.  He's a beast who could suprise some people when he gets to the league.
2.  Bill Walker
I like this suggestion so I'm gunna copy Chris on this one.  Great athleticism and NBA body.  Will he come out this year?
3.  James Johnson
Probably won't come out this year, but he is a great team player who really knows how to play different facets of the game.  There is a smoothness to his game that I like as well.
4.  Will Daniels
There was some talk about him on The Blog recently that aroused my interest.  I know nothing about him.
5.  Joey Dorsey
He's all defense, strength, athleticism, and hustle - which could easily provide him a spot in the NBA.
Will Daniels plays for URI.  Good college players but not consistent enough with his game to be a 1st rounder.  I think he may even be had at #60.  Not a bad player for a team looking for an athletic wing off the bench (probably 4th wing in a solid rotation within a couple of years).  C's need someone bigger--a true center to back up Perk.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
None of you think that Tony Allen will continue playinf for the Celtics?
I'm probably TA's biggest supporter on the site and even I'm doubtful at this point he'll develop his full abilities due to his knack for injuries.  I projected he's replace Ray in the starting line-up after next season but the latest injury has to get Danny thinking there's got to be someone available (draft, FA) that can do what he does and stay healthy.   

If Danny drafts big, I wouldn't be surprised to see TA let go and Pruitt get some burn next year if he has a good summer league (he'll be sharing minutes with the FA Danny brings in as the primary back up to Ray and PP).

That center in Australia mentioned on another thread (too lazy to go searching right now) sounded pretty intriguing. 

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I wouldn't mind Hansborough if he is there at 30. I think he could come in and contribute right away because you know he will run through walls for a team, especially with KG in his ear. He also has some pretty decent offensive skills , so he wouldn't be a liability on the offensive end

There is also a PF from West Virgina. His name is Joe Alexander. I have had the chance to see him play a handful of times this year and he has really impressed me . He is averaging 16 and 6 for the season but in his last 5 games he has really stepped it up .

Last 5 games for Alexander:
VS Providence -21pts, 7 rebs, 3 ast, 1 blk
@   Depaul    -17pts, 3 rebs, 3 ast, 1 blk
@   Uconn     -32pts,10 rebs, 2 ast, 2 blk
VS  Pitt      -32pts, 6 rebs, 2 ast, 2 blk
@   St John's -29pts,10 rebs, 2 ast, 1 blk

He kind of reminds me of a poor mans Dirk Nowitzki and he would bring instant offense off the bench at the PF spot.

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think danny has proven he will take the best player available drafting talent above need. 

Based on this, i would love to get Shan Foster from vanderbilt in the draft if he's available.  The kid is just unreal and being groomed by ray allen in this league would make this kid a force to be reckoned with.

I wouldnt be disappointed if we landed walker too.

I'm a huge UK fan and i've seen foster play a couple times this year.  I've also seen Patrick Patterson.  Patterson going down late in the year really makes him coming out this year doubtful, but he will make a fine pro as he has nice skills and presence. 

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
1.  Serge Ibaka (not listed anymore by Draft Express but still there on NBA draft.net.....gone by 30 for sure and even a bit risky, but the Celts can   
      afford to risk....defense and shot blocking for a team with plenty of offense and lots of time to develop this guy)

2. Tyler Smith (Also likely gone)

3. Devon Hardin (another goner)

4. Kyle Weaver (Seems like a player that could step right in with the veterans and do all the right things....a fan favorite in the making!!)

5.  Bill Walker (Roy's knee has held up, why not Walker's?)

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
To recycle a post from another thread...  ;)

good, fun, lazy sunday activity.

First, the celts will still be looking to compete deep in the playoffs, so assuming they keep the pick, they'll be looking to draft to fit a specific need.

We can also assume that while ownership will be willing to pay considering the nice returns this year, they will only have the midlevel exception to work with (call it 5.5 mil.)

Here's who will be under contract next year:
Garnett
Pierce
Ray Allen
Perk
Scal
Rondo
Powe
Pruitt
Davis

*Posey
*Tony Allen

That's 71,369,509, so no cap space.
Posey has a player option, and considering that not many teams will have cap space, and posey was willing to play for a contender for his paycheck this year, i bet he'll stay. That brings us to 74,831,989.
Tony Allen is where it gets very interesting. He'll be a restricted free agent, and i have no clue what the c's will do. we can extend him for any amount of money without affecting our mid-level exception because of bird rights, and we have the right to match any offer. If t.a. doesn't get offers from other teams and doesn't like the c's offer, he'll play for 2,744,299 and be an unrestricted free agent. Honestly, considering that the luxury tax this year is at 67.865, everything we do next year will cost double. So let's pencil T.A. in for 3.5 million, somewhere between his qualifying offer and a too-high bid for him. We're now at 78,331,989, with a conservative estimate of 86,000,000 total cost when counting the luxury tax. This is why i don't think we'll trade the pick, with D.A.'s eye for talent I think he'd like to add a player who will be cheap for a few years. Anyway, we're looking at this depth chart before draft/free agency:

Rondo/Pruit
Ray/Tony
Pierce/Posey
Garnett/Powe/Scal
Perk/Davis

So where are we weak? to me, it looks like we are weak at point, considering pruitt is a huge question mark, and behind perk, we lack solid height (we don't want KG taking so much pounding his last few years as a C). We'll probably be picking around 28-30 and 58-60. To think about this, I'm using Hollinger's NBA success predictor and Ford's 100 prospects to see who might be a good fit and who has a chance to fall to those spots.

I know a lot of people don't like Hollinger, but he did predict above scout-predicted success for Big Baby, Thadeus Young, Dudley, scola, sean williams and McRoberst. He also predicted that Afflalo, Jeff green, corey brewer, Julian Wright and Pruitt would fall short of scout wisdom, all of which are pretty good predictions.

We have 5 roster spots, so some will be filled through free agency. I'm guessing that Brand, Arenas, Marion, Baron, Jermaine, and Iverson will either stay in their current contracts or opt out but re-sign with their current teams who will be able to go over the cap and offer max contracts. I don't see any of them opting out and signing for the mid-level. Maggette will probably opt out and sign with someone with cap room, or will be included in a sign-and trade.

One possibility is Artest. He might be willing to play for the midlevel, since everyone is very suspicious of him and boston is as appealing to vets as anywhere.

I don't think any restricted free agents will come our way. the really valuable ones will be matched by their teams, and ones we could get probably wouldn't be worth overpaying so their original teams don't match.

As for the unrestricted, it's very hard to predict who is at a point that they'd take a cut to play for a team like the C's. Kurt Thomas? Maybe Cassell if he likes what he sees this time around. Diop would be an ideal pickup, but it might the the whole midlevel. Kwame could be cheap and help with bench size.

Anyway, I'd look to the draft for PG or a big body, and if none are obvious, take the best player available since we'll have many open spots. So here are the projected players from Ford to fall to our range:

26   Courtney Lee   SG   6-5   200   22   Western Kentucky   
27   DeVon Hardin   C   6-11   235   21   California   
28   Richard Hendrix   PF   6-8   260   21   Alabama   
29   Trent Plaisted   C   6-11   245   21   BYU
30   Tyler Hansbrough   PF   6-9   225   22
31   James Harden   SG   6-5   210   18   Arizona State   
32   Tyler Smith   SF   6-7   210   21   Tennessee   
33   JaVale McGee   C   7-0   237   20   Nevada   
34   Ante Tomic    C   7-2   237   21   Croatia   
35   Bill Walker   SF   6-6   225   20   Kansas State   
36   Eric Maynor   PG   6-2   165   20   VA Commonwealth   
37   Brandon Rush   SG   6-7   205   22   Kansas   
38   John Riek   C   7-2   230   18   Prep School   
39   Douglas-Roberts   SG   6-6   195   21   Memphis   
40   Serge Ibaka   PF   6-10   220   18   Congo   
41   Andrew Ogilvy   C   6-10   250   19   Vanderbilt   
42   Austin Daye   SF   6-10   190   19   Gonzaga   
43   D.J. White   PF   6-9   240   21   Indiana   
44   Nathan Jawai   C   6-10   270   21   Australia   
45   Ryan Anderson   PF   6-10   225   19   California   
46   Wayne Ellington   SG   6-5   175   20   North Carolina   
47   Davon Jefferson SF   6-8   215   21   USC   
48   Rudy Mbemba   PG   6-0   186   20   Sweden   

I'd be hesitant to take Hansbrough, but at least he's on hollinger's radar as an upperclassman. I just think he's a true PF who will duplicate a lot of Powe and Davis, not very athletic so won't take much wear off of garnett.

James Harden could be interesting, especially if Tony doesn't stay. He's hollinger's 5th rated prospect but projected 31.

Two others who look very intriguing are Ryan Anderson (projected 45; hollinger's 9th) and especially Andrew Ogilvy (projected 41; Hollinger's 8th). I really like Ogilvy. He's tough and likes to actually score in the post. He's pretty big, too. And Vandy's been pretty good this year. Eric Maynor could be interesting at point.

As for the second rounder, I'd go for Robin Lopez. His brother is better, but he's got great size and likes defense. Riek might fall that far too, that sudanese guy.

And you never know who might fall to #30. Collison at point? Koufos at center? Who knows.

Anyway, at this point I think I'd try to get the backup point through free agency because good points are hard to find in the draft and they take a while to get there. Also, I personally think that this team is best suited putting as much beef up front as possible to minimize the wear and tear on kg and maximize the minutes of kg at truly the 4, posey and pierce at 3, and ray at 2.

So I'd take Ogilvy at around 30 and robin lopez in the second round. then i'd try to convince posey to stay and sign TA to the 3-3.5 mil or so. then i'd try to use the midlevel to go after Udrih, Arroyo, dooling, duhon, or lue, preferably dooling or arroyo and keep enough to sign a midseason buyout again. this, of course, assuming that we couldn't use the midlevel to get arroyo and diop or kurt thomas, which i'd jump at.

So at the end, if i had my way, our salary obligations would be around 84 million, a 96 million total including luxury tax with the following roster:

Rondo/arroyo/pruitt
ray/tony
pierce/posey
kg/powe/davis/scal
Perk/Ogilvy/lopez

of course this doesn't take into account anybody shockingly taking a pay cut to play with friends on a contender (please, baron?) or a draftday trade of ray and the draft pick for a great 17 mill range pg or center (baron, brand, jermaine?).

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I thought about putting Anderson on my list, but I haven't seen him play yet.  He definitely sounded intriguing.  Does he play any defense?

He isn't known for his D, but it is improving.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 12:08:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
To recycle a post from another thread...  ;)

good, fun, lazy sunday activity.

First, the celts will still be looking to compete deep in the playoffs, so assuming they keep the pick, they'll be looking to draft to fit a specific need.

We can also assume that while ownership will be willing to pay considering the nice returns this year, they will only have the midlevel exception to work with (call it 5.5 mil.)

Here's who will be under contract next year:
Garnett
Pierce
Ray Allen
Perk
Scal
Rondo
Powe
Pruitt
Davis

*Posey
*Tony Allen

That's 71,369,509, so no cap space.
Posey has a player option, and considering that not many teams will have cap space, and posey was willing to play for a contender for his paycheck this year, i bet he'll stay. That brings us to 74,831,989.
Tony Allen is where it gets very interesting. He'll be a restricted free agent, and i have no clue what the c's will do. we can extend him for any amount of money without affecting our mid-level exception because of bird rights, and we have the right to match any offer. If t.a. doesn't get offers from other teams and doesn't like the c's offer, he'll play for 2,744,299 and be an unrestricted free agent. Honestly, considering that the luxury tax this year is at 67.865, everything we do next year will cost double. So let's pencil T.A. in for 3.5 million, somewhere between his qualifying offer and a too-high bid for him. We're now at 78,331,989, with a conservative estimate of 86,000,000 total cost when counting the luxury tax. This is why i don't think we'll trade the pick, with D.A.'s eye for talent I think he'd like to add a player who will be cheap for a few years. Anyway, we're looking at this depth chart before draft/free agency:

Rondo/Pruit
Ray/Tony
Pierce/Posey
Garnett/Powe/Scal
Perk/Davis

So where are we weak? to me, it looks like we are weak at point, considering pruitt is a huge question mark, and behind perk, we lack solid height (we don't want KG taking so much pounding his last few years as a C). We'll probably be picking around 28-30 and 58-60. To think about this, I'm using Hollinger's NBA success predictor and Ford's 100 prospects to see who might be a good fit and who has a chance to fall to those spots.

I know a lot of people don't like Hollinger, but he did predict above scout-predicted success for Big Baby, Thadeus Young, Dudley, scola, sean williams and McRoberst. He also predicted that Afflalo, Jeff green, corey brewer, Julian Wright and Pruitt would fall short of scout wisdom, all of which are pretty good predictions.

We have 5 roster spots, so some will be filled through free agency. I'm guessing that Brand, Arenas, Marion, Baron, Jermaine, and Iverson will either stay in their current contracts or opt out but re-sign with their current teams who will be able to go over the cap and offer max contracts. I don't see any of them opting out and signing for the mid-level. Maggette will probably opt out and sign with someone with cap room, or will be included in a sign-and trade.

One possibility is Artest. He might be willing to play for the midlevel, since everyone is very suspicious of him and boston is as appealing to vets as anywhere.

I don't think any restricted free agents will come our way. the really valuable ones will be matched by their teams, and ones we could get probably wouldn't be worth overpaying so their original teams don't match.

As for the unrestricted, it's very hard to predict who is at a point that they'd take a cut to play for a team like the C's. Kurt Thomas? Maybe Cassell if he likes what he sees this time around. Diop would be an ideal pickup, but it might the the whole midlevel. Kwame could be cheap and help with bench size.

Anyway, I'd look to the draft for PG or a big body, and if none are obvious, take the best player available since we'll have many open spots. So here are the projected players from Ford to fall to our range:

26   Courtney Lee   SG   6-5   200   22   Western Kentucky   
27   DeVon Hardin   C   6-11   235   21   California   
28   Richard Hendrix   PF   6-8   260   21   Alabama   
29   Trent Plaisted   C   6-11   245   21   BYU
30   Tyler Hansbrough   PF   6-9   225   22
31   James Harden   SG   6-5   210   18   Arizona State   
32   Tyler Smith   SF   6-7   210   21   Tennessee   
33   JaVale McGee   C   7-0   237   20   Nevada   
34   Ante Tomic    C   7-2   237   21   Croatia   
35   Bill Walker   SF   6-6   225   20   Kansas State   
36   Eric Maynor   PG   6-2   165   20   VA Commonwealth   
37   Brandon Rush   SG   6-7   205   22   Kansas   
38   John Riek   C   7-2   230   18   Prep School   
39   Douglas-Roberts   SG   6-6   195   21   Memphis   
40   Serge Ibaka   PF   6-10   220   18   Congo   
41   Andrew Ogilvy   C   6-10   250   19   Vanderbilt   
42   Austin Daye   SF   6-10   190   19   Gonzaga   
43   D.J. White   PF   6-9   240   21   Indiana   
44   Nathan Jawai   C   6-10   270   21   Australia   
45   Ryan Anderson   PF   6-10   225   19   California   
46   Wayne Ellington   SG   6-5   175   20   North Carolina   
47   Davon Jefferson SF   6-8   215   21   USC   
48   Rudy Mbemba   PG   6-0   186   20   Sweden   

I'd be hesitant to take Hansbrough, but at least he's on hollinger's radar as an upperclassman. I just think he's a true PF who will duplicate a lot of Powe and Davis, not very athletic so won't take much wear off of garnett.

James Harden could be interesting, especially if Tony doesn't stay. He's hollinger's 5th rated prospect but projected 31.

Two others who look very intriguing are Ryan Anderson (projected 45; hollinger's 9th) and especially Andrew Ogilvy (projected 41; Hollinger's 8th). I really like Ogilvy. He's tough and likes to actually score in the post. He's pretty big, too. And Vandy's been pretty good this year. Eric Maynor could be interesting at point.

As for the second rounder, I'd go for Robin Lopez. His brother is better, but he's got great size and likes defense. Riek might fall that far too, that sudanese guy.

And you never know who might fall to #30. Collison at point? Koufos at center? Who knows.

Anyway, at this point I think I'd try to get the backup point through free agency because good points are hard to find in the draft and they take a while to get there. Also, I personally think that this team is best suited putting as much beef up front as possible to minimize the wear and tear on kg and maximize the minutes of kg at truly the 4, posey and pierce at 3, and ray at 2.

So I'd take Ogilvy at around 30 and robin lopez in the second round. then i'd try to convince posey to stay and sign TA to the 3-3.5 mil or so. then i'd try to use the midlevel to go after Udrih, Arroyo, dooling, duhon, or lue, preferably dooling or arroyo and keep enough to sign a midseason buyout again. this, of course, assuming that we couldn't use the midlevel to get arroyo and diop or kurt thomas, which i'd jump at.

So at the end, if i had my way, our salary obligations would be around 84 million, a 96 million total including luxury tax with the following roster:

Rondo/arroyo/pruitt
ray/tony
pierce/posey
kg/powe/davis/scal
Perk/Ogilvy/lopez

of course this doesn't take into account anybody shockingly taking a pay cut to play with friends on a contender (please, baron?) or a draftday trade of ray and the draft pick for a great 17 mill range pg or center (baron, brand, jermaine?).

Gave you a TP for this post....
Ford has Weaver gone by 30?

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Weaver's at 63. To be honest, i know nothing about him. could be a decent look if TA and Posey are gone, since it seems like he's athletic and can defend and may be lost on offense.

When i was killing time writing my previous post a little while ago i was trying to look for players highly rated in Hollinger's relatively successful rating system that, for whatever reason, weren't on scouts' radars until around the times we'd be drafting (30 and 60).

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 05:39:44 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Any one willing to give Lester Hudson a chance?  I heard about him early in the year when he dropped a quadruple double and decided to start following him after that.  Once January came, I was really surprised to not see him in any mock drafts.  Finally, NBAdraft.net has him going in the mid 20's.  He's 24, but he's an explosive 6'3 guard.  Seeing that we really don't need great help next year.  I don't think it be bad to take a chance on this kid.  If he doesn't develop, I feel he'll at least be as good as Eddie House.
do it