Author Topic: Possible #30 picks  (Read 48032 times)

Possible #30 picks
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
For all of you draftniks out there (is that a real word?), I think we are close enough to the end of the season (and in a bit of a slow spot for the C's) to start thinking realistically a bit about the draft.

I know, it may not be as interesting as looking at top 10 picks...but personally I think it is a whole lot of fun to look at guys who might be available with the last pick in the first round.

Just to keep this as realistic as possible, I am going to put one rule to keep this interesting and realistic.  Everyone should list their top 5 choices (as of right now) of who they would like to pick with the #30 pick, however, in order to be eligible, the players must be ranked #20 or lower on either draftexpress.com or nbadraft.net.  We all would love to see Beasley or Rose on the C's, but that simply is not realistic, so lets try to stick by that rule.

Here is my top 5 as of right now (which will certainly change once the draft gets closer).

1. Tyler Hansborough (the typical incredibly productive player that drops because he doesn't test well in athleticism and height)
2. Bill Walker (the player with the most potential that is projected this low...if we are patient, he could be a superstar in a few years)
3. Devon Hardin (I haven't seen too much of him, but he is a long, athletic big man...you don't find many of them that late)
4. Brandon Rush (the only Rush kid to stay in school...and he blows out his knee.  Maybe he will turn things around)
5. Kyle Weaver (versatile and experienced wing who can defend.  He would be a perfect guy to eventually replace Tony Allen)

Re: Possible #30 picks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

Offline Mother

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
1.  Patrick Patterson
Maybe I broke the rules here, but he's not really considered a super high pick right now.  He's a beast who could suprise some people when he gets to the league.
2.  Bill Walker
I like this suggestion so I'm gunna copy Chris on this one.  Great athleticism and NBA body.  Will he come out this year?
3.  James Johnson
Probably won't come out this year, but he is a great team player who really knows how to play different facets of the game.  There is a smoothness to his game that I like as well.
4.  Will Daniels
There was some talk about him on The Blog recently that aroused my interest.  I know nothing about him.
5.  Joey Dorsey
He's all defense, strength, athleticism, and hustle - which could easily provide him a spot in the NBA.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Handsbrough is like Leon Powe with a little more hype in college and less theknee blowouts.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Using the most recent (March 7th) Draft Express cutoff (DE seems to have a better handle on these things than nbadraft.net), my choices are:

1. Ryan Anderson
2. Tyler Hansbrough
3. Bill Walker
4. DeVon Hardin
5. Brandon Rush

The surprise is probably Ryan Anderson -- first, I am a Cal fan, so I am biased.  Second, I think he could be an A. Walker type player (circa 7 years ago), which would give the Cs a different look at the PF, which might be useful in certain situations. 

Tyler -- I love that passion.

Bill Walker -- A wild card -- sort of a taller Tony Allen.

DeVon -- great upside

Brandon -- I think he could step in right away and contribute

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I thought about putting Anderson on my list, but I haven't seen him play yet.  He definitely sounded intriguing.  Does he play any defense?

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Perfect guy to replace Tony Allen=Paul Harris

I dunno if he even comes out this year, and I know the last thing we need is another undersized forward, but what about Taj Gibson?

Also Jason Thompson? I know nothing about this kid...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
So, in the off chance that we don't actually win it all, who do you like at 29?
Yup

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

This brings up a good question.  Is the draft order determined by regular season record?  Or how they finish in the playoffs?

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

This brings up a good question.  Is the draft order determined by regular season record?  Or how they finish in the playoffs?
I believe the champion gets the last pick regardless of where they finished in the regular season, it then reverts to reverse standing (with exception of the  lottery results)
Yup

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

Has nothing to do with how they do in the playoffs. Draft order is determined by regular season record.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

I believe the champion gets the last pick regardless of where they finished in the regular season, it then reverts to reverse standing (with exception of the  lottery results)

The champions don't get the last pick, it's determined completely by regular season record (Dalls had pick 30 last year but it went to Philly due to a trade)
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

The champions don't get the last pick, it's determined completely by regular season record (Dallas had pick 30 last year but it went to Philly due to a trade)
hmmm...maybe it's the NFL that does it like that then...thought that was the case
Yup

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think someone the Celtics should take a very serious look at is the Aussie center at Nebraska, Aleks Maric. He's a real 6'11" 270 lb center who has some decent moves and is an awesome rebounder. He has been a double double machine in the very tough Big 12 conference and is a four year player with good fundamentals already worked into him.

He'll definitely be available at 30 unless he has an excellent tourney and does well at the pre-draft camps.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
None of you think that Tony Allen will continue playinf for the Celtics?

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well I think Ainge has proven (and his scouts) that a late pick can turn into a good pick so I'll let him come up with it.
That said I think we need to look to Europe for a vet pg (unless sam would be back next year at age 50?)