Author Topic: Free Agents I regret Celtics didn't sign during off-season  (Read 6035 times)

Free Agents I regret Celtics didn't sign during off-season
« on: December 19, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I know it's hindsight, but the following FAs are guys I wish we had signed on the cheap. At least one of them:

Boogie Cousins--He would have fit so well into our system IMO. He has really nice outside stroke, is stronger lower frame who doesn't get pushed around.  Plays hard.  Tons of experience but not too old.  Expressed interested in signing with us before he inked with GSW a while back.

Josh Jackson--He was my draft binkie back in 2017.  I valued him above Tatum, which was a huge mistake.  But character/maturity issues really hindered his development. He seems to have grown up a bit. His last outing for the Pistons was impressive, on both sides of the ball.  He is a 6'8" swing forward who can defend, is very athletic, his shot is finally improving.  He would really fill a hole for us right now.  Could have signed him for peanuts.

Harry Giles--His last game was soft, but overall I think he would have given us more length, athleticism, etc. Still very young.

I'm sure there are others.  Who is on your list?

Re: Free Agents I regret Celtics didn't sign during off-season
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Christian wood.
Aaron Baynes.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I see that Rondae Hollis Jefferson was just waived.  It's not really a regret but I think he'd be useful.  I know he can't shoot but I think he'd be huge improvement on Semi.  He is a very good defender with a nice feel for the game.  He could probably be had for the minimum.

Jackson would have been interesting if is going play his role and not play like he thinks he's a star.  I like him and always check his boxscores.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 04:59:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I've pretty much resorted to the fact that Ainge and co. have simply never wanted Cousins, and still don't. They've had numerous chances to acquire him over the years and didn't even seem to be interested lol.

I do wonder if Ainge still felt a bit miffed about Josh Jackson cancelling a workout with the C's while the C's were heading to Sacramento.

A free agent I wish they went after was Wesley Matthews. Idk if they did go after him and he chose elsewhere, but the guy can defend pretty well and is a good knockdown 3 point shooter. Would have been a nice veteran presence too and I believe he signed for just 1/3.5M. Basically I consider him an upgrade over Ojeyele as like the 7th-8th guy on the roster.

Giles as you mention though is another guy I would have liked on the cheap.

I don't know if he really qualifies either but I LOVE Christian Wood, and he went to Houston on a S&T for about 3/40M IIRC. He was a rumored trade target last summer and also for the C's a month ago but similar to the Myles Turner rumors, it obviously never materialized/happened.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 05:38:16 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Rondo, Dwight Howard , Cousins all could be had for less than what they bring to the table ..
I also have the feeling that Brad is allergic to those types of players (I would include Butler ) because Danny could have brought any one of them (and he knows their value) but chose not to.
Danny wanted Davis because he is easier to coach and doesn’t have a dominant personality which works with Brad.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Just FYI, just because there are free agents out there it does mean that the Celtics can sign them. They are free agents so they can sign where they want. The Celtics got two pretty good free agents with the money they had to spend and the whole Hayward mess kept them from making moves until it was settled.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Rondo, Dwight Howard , Cousins all could be had for less than what they bring to the table ..
I also have the feeling that Brad is allergic to those types of players (I would include Butler ) because Danny could have brought any one of them (and he knows their value) but chose not to.
Danny wanted Davis because he is easier to coach and doesn’t have a dominant personality which works with Brad.

Then the problem is Brad and not the team

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 06:07:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Christian wood.
Aaron Baynes.

Neither were cheap.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Then the problem is Brad and not the team
Well I guess..  on the other hand last years lakers lebron was in effect the coach but you still have to give Vogel a ton of credit of how he navigated that group and the bubble. I’m not sure how Brad would have fared in place of Vogel

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Christian Wood. It's not even close. Fwiw, here are the highlights from his last game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xi5bcbo484

Check out the first play on the video. He grabs the rebound, he dribbles the ball down the court and he finishes through contact in transition! How many bigs in the NBA can do that? Not many, that's for sure. Imo, he's hands down better than any of our current bigs.

- 6' 9.25'' without shoes, 7' 3.25'' wingspan   
- He can shoot the 3.
- He can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.
- He's an elite roller. Scored 1.5 PPP last season when rolling to the basket.
- He's an elite PnR defender. Allowed 0.64 PPP last season.
- He's uber athletic.
- He protects the rim.
- He plays D on the perimeter.

People keep saying he ain't a Center. The Rockets use him as a Center, so there's that. He also played 46% of his minutes last season at C.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:12:11 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To his credit, Danny targeted perhaps the best vet minimum wing player:  Kent Bazemore.  He just decided to go to familiar surroundings.

Shaq Harrison would have been a nice fit at the minimum.

I really thought Boogie was worth the investment.  Hassan Whiteside isn’t my favorite player, but for the minimum he would have been a steal.

Among remaining guys who can play a role:  Gerald Green, Kyle Korver, Ersan Ilyasova

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Christian Wood. It's not even close.

Totally agree. Perhaps he saw his best opportunity on a team that played without bigs last year.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
To his credit, Danny targeted perhaps the best vet minimum wing player:  Kent Bazemore.  He just decided to go to familiar surroundings.

Shaq Harrison would have been a nice fit at the minimum.

I really thought Boogie was worth the investment.  Hassan Whiteside isn’t my favorite player, but for the minimum he would have been a steal.

Among remaining guys who can play a role:  Gerald Green, Kyle Korver, Ersan Ilyasova
I am pro the Cs bringing in Green for vet wing help. He’s a good vet and team guy. Also can fill a role for this team.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've always liked ilyasova. I was under the impression he still had something left. I'm surprised nobody has signed him.  The Celts could use a big with decent size who can shoot.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 07:47:32 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Zero chance Cousins stays healthy for a full season. Zip..nada...zilch.

In two months we will be saying how we dodged a bullet not only health wise but why let poison into your locker room filled with young budding stars? Luckily Danny chose the safer route there.