Author Topic: Celts are already starting to hurt for ticket sales  (Read 11763 times)

Re: Celts are already starting to hurt for ticket sales
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

As well as unexciting basketball. Watching the Thunder play a team like the Nuggets or Warriors versus watching the Celtics play say the Nets or Spurs is like seeing an IMAX movie versus watching paint dry.

A majority of NBA "fans" go to game for excitement, dunks, flash, high scores and to watch the players they see on commercials and tv. Unfortunately there are not many fans out there that care about the game the way it should be cared about.

And those fans that do care, often don't want to spend 80 bucks to sit in the back of the baseline balcony.

exactamundo

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

As well as unexciting basketball. Watching the Thunder play a team like the Nuggets or Warriors versus watching the Celtics play say the Nets or Spurs is like seeing an IMAX movie versus watching paint dry.

A majority of NBA "fans" go to game for excitement, dunks, flash, high scores and to watch the players they see on commercials and tv. Unfortunately there are not many fans out there that care about the game the way it should be cared about.

And those fans that do care, often don't want to spend 80 bucks to sit in the back of the baseline balcony.

exactamundo
have to agree.  NBA has marketed stars over substance for a couple of decades at least and has been pricing itself out of the family-budget entertainment options for a very long time. 

The C's have been hurting themselves since halfway through the 2010 season with Sheed when they stopped playing to win every game and started saying only the playoffs matter.  sat through too many games in the Garden over the past few years watching this team get beaten by the likes of the crappy Nets, Knicks, Sixers and Raptor teams.   As a result of getting burned by this team lately, I only went to 1 game this year (yet another loss). 

I'd preferred going to the pre-KG games whether it was the Antoine or Big Al teams because whether they won or lost, they at least played to win.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
To the previous posters- VERY well said. I understand among the die-hards like us, we'll love the Celtics no matter what.

Having said that, I can see why a casual NBA fan would be turned off by the Celtics. With the exception of the first two seasons with KG (07/08 and 08/09), the Celts regular season performances have been average at best.

I understand the playoffs are more important. However when you don't try to win every regular season game, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth and leaves the product with alot to be desired.

Sure, Boston may not have the connection with basketball it has with the 3 other sports. AND sure, people just don't have the money to pay through the nose to watch a Spaulding being thrown around for 48 minutes. However, Boston gravitates toward blue-collar mentality and performance. Unf, the Celtics effort during the regular season just hasn't been there and has likely turned alot of people off and rightfully so.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's not just the lower win totals that have hurt sales.

People are tired of this team.  There's nothing new to see.  The best you can hope for from season to season is that the team is not that much worse than the season before.

Once the team gets younger and more athletic, and there's perhaps a couple of new faces with star potential on the roster, people will be more interested in watching the team compete, even if they're struggling to get to .500.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
Based on the relocation process some of us season ticket holders went through today, it's evident that a lot of people opted out of next season.  I've been waiting forever to get reasonably priced seats in the middle 6 sections of the balcony, and there were plenty for me to choose from.  I'm not complaining; now I have better seats for the same price!

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
im in cali..
i would fly out and buy tickets

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
most of yall in drivin distance and not representing

id be out in front of TD Gardens Thumpin my Bass..

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

I'd pay $80 to catch a pass from Avery Bradley.

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

I'd pay $80 to catch a pass from Avery Bradley.

You'd have a pretty good chance of that happening no matter where you sat in the garden.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
The Garden should be rocking for game 6.  I can't imagine how it couldn't.  It's the playoffs and the Celtics have the momentum.  That's a good pairing.

I'm not surprised that attendance in the Garden has dropped off.  The Celtics have been a fairly boring product to watch the past few years.  A grind out team with one of the worst offenses in the league the past few years is more than enough to tamp down fan interest.  I can't imagine fans who sat through or watched on TV one of the 35 point halves the Celtics routinely have put up over the last three years or so want to re-live the experience.